Why aren't we talking more about Lukáš Rousek

LGR4GM

I see it here, I see it there, I see it most everywhere. Lukáš Rousek isn't promoted to Buffalo, instead we see Kulich or Savoie. I don't think that will be the case. I think Rousek will have a spot on this roster to open the season and we should be talking about how he might actually be fairly decent. 

• Like (+1) 2

He played in two games in Buffalo that I can recall. Looked like a guy with some energy and he looked confident and comfortable out there too. 

Projects as a bottom 6 forward.  To me he is a smaller version of Girgensons with maybe more offensive skill.  

We shall see. 

Edited by Pimlach

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I see it here, I see it there, I see it most everywhere. Lukáš Rousek isn't promoted to Buffalo, instead we see Kulich or Savoie. I don't think that will be the case. I think Rousek will have a spot on this roster to open the season and we should be talking about how he might actually be fairly decent. 

At 24 years old, he’s a much more well rounded player than either Kulich or Savoie.  Obviously, Savoie adds a different problem to the equation as he can’t go to Rochester.  Lukas Rousek is easily the most ready to contribute in a checking role and will chip in plenty of offense. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

He’s smart and he competes.

His size/speed/skill combination is OK, but looks to be lacking any one standout quality, so my questions would be two:

Is the package enough to hold down a Jack-of-all trades middle-six role in the NHL, I guess like a Jochen Hecht or a Dixon Ward?

If not, can he carve himself out a specialty (PK, forecheck, faceoffs, etc) that can keep him in an NHL lineup?

I think he’ll get a chance this year and likely makes the team as a bottom of the lineup utility guy, the way the forward corps stacks up right now.

Not sure if he has a role here beyond that.

• Thanks (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s smart and he competes.

His size/speed/skill combination is OK, but looks to be lacking any one standout quality, so my questions would be two:

Is the package enough to hold down a Jack-of-all trades middle-six role in the NHL, I guess like a Jochen Hecht or a Dixon Ward?

If not, can he carve himself out a specialty (PK, forecheck, faceoffs, etc) that can keep him in an NHL lineup?

I think he’ll get a chance this year and likely makes the team as a bottom of the lineup utility guy, the way the forward corps stacks up right now.

Not sure if he has a role here beyond that.

Was he a pivatol linemate of one of our developing high end draft picks in Rochester this past season? I didn't get to catch any but 1 playoff game so I'm unaware of the line make ups.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Obviously, Savoie adds a different problem to the equation as he can’t go to Rochester.  

Plus he needs a gym membership and a meal plan. Given up on the growth spurt. 

Rousek a good 3rd,4th liner ? No issues with that. Maybe he and Kulich move up ? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Plus he needs a gym membership and a meal plan. Given up on the growth spurt. 

Rousek a good 3rd,4th liner ? No issues with that. Maybe he and Kulich move up ? 

Kulich is not ready. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The easy reason is he's not a 1st round pick.

A big trade may shake this all up, but I'm still sticking with Rousek as the 12/13 in Buffalo this season. The franchise finally has the forward depth where it isn't forced to rush players to the NHL simply because they're more skilled. Now, you need to be skilled and be able to play a complete game. This should be what we want. Quinn and JJP were the last of the "don't want our kids blocked", but now JJP and Quinn are the guys doing the blocking. That's a good thing.

Savoie likely gets 8 games, then goes back to the WHL because for all he's got the vision and skill, his body is nowhere near ready yet. Kulich will see time in Buffalo this season, but he starts in Rochester and belongs there this season while honing his all-around game and also growing up.

Rousek is the new Hino. If healthy, he'll play 40+ games up and down the lineup. If he becomes a valuable PK guy, all the better.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Probably true. Assumption that the PP goals by Victor O need to be replaced but I want players with well rounded games and not to be rushed. 

I'm looking to Quinn to elevate his role on the PP and hope the coaches are adjusting their tactics to emphasize his skillset.

• Like (+1) 3

FWIW, on the Maintenance Day podcast a couple of weeks ago, both Yerdon and Lysowski were pretty definitive that Kulich would be in Buffalo next season.  While I don't recall the exact words they used, my impression was that it would be as a regular in the lineup.

Regarding Rousek, I don't recall KA saying much about him, although I think what he has said has been positive.  I'd guess that KA would prefer to promote Rousek if he's ready rather than paying a FA vet forward to take Zemgus' spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SyrSabreFan said:

He should replace Z. IMO

Switching Rousek for Z probably helps the offence and opens cap space while making us slower, smaller, weaker on the forecheck and worse defensively.

Not exactly robbing from strength to address weakness

47 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Probably true. Assumption that the PP goals by Victor O need to be replaced but I want players with well rounded games and not to be rushed. 

You can always put Skinner over there.  His one-timer isn't as effective, but he's better on the walls and harder to take the puck from and a far better skater.  You have tage on the one timer side and skinner is more of your, on net from the opposite dot so cozens and tuch can crash.  You also have dahlin up top.  

Other option is probably mitts?  But i think he probably centers PP2 with some combo of greenway, krebs, Quinn, JJP, or Skinner.  

Interesting topic.

I don’t think he will get any sniffs of the top 6, ever. He can be the replacement for Hinestroza and rotate in and out of the lineup. He played hard when he got in Buffalo and didn’t look like a liability. He even chipped in some offense.

KA may bring in a vet or two, maybe even Girgs, but Rousek is at the age where this camp is critical for him to have a good showing.

He won’t learn much in Rochester, the only value would be mentoring young guys. That becomes harder to do if your dream is dead or there are roadblocks too large to jump over.

If he can contribute at the NHL level, keep him around. If there are better guys at camp then he goes to Rochester.

This is why camp is so much fun/so important this year.  The Sabres have a bunch of young guys that could be ready for the NHL or might be a year or two away. For fans, it's going to be an opportunity to see what the coaches think of the talent level and development of all these young guys we are just speculating on.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

This is why camp is so much fun/so important this year.  The Sabres have a bunch of young guys that could be ready for the NHL or might be a year or two away. For fans, it's going to be an opportunity to see what the coaches think of the talent level and development of all these young guys we are just speculating on.

To be fair, I don't think there's a bunch. 

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn 

Greenway - Mitts - Krebs? 

? - ?(Jost)? - Okposo

That's if VO is traded and they don't sign Jost. There's only 2 open forward jobs.  If they sign Jost then you have 1 forward starter and a depth injury slot.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

Not a buch of open spots, but a bunch of young guys that have future NHL potential that us fans are speculating on where they are in the organization is what I meant.

While few of them may make the team, I think it'll be great to see who is paired with who (among the young guys), how much time they get, how many preseason games they get. How the coaches talk about them. How late they stick around in camp.  So you are likely correct that few of the young guys will make the team, us as fans should have a lot more visibility of just where they are in the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.