OEL Bought Out, Any interest on a cheap 1-2 deal?

GASabresIUFAN

Not really.

Is he "done"?  maybe. I also think having a bounce back season isn't out of the question.

The issue is, a 'bounce back' season is a possibility, not a certainty.  AND he is going to be 32 at the start of this season...which for a D-man isn't always all that bad (D-men seem to mature a bit later than Forwards and stay 'good' for a bit longer than forwards), BUT I'd be OK with an older-stay at home type guy, not an offensive puck moving guy on the back end who is aging. And its not just age.  In the last 10 years he is like 7th or 9th in the entire NHL in tersm of time on ice...lots of miles on the tires with him.

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I would sign him for 1 year, maybe 2, years to be the stable vet presence for Power that he needs.  I don't care about his scoring stats.

2 years at $5M per.

No. Absolutely not. 

He's had defensively and shoots left. He brings nothing to the Sabres except "I'm old now"

Also, Owen Power pretty much proved he is the stable presence. He was the best defender on the team last season, he doesn't need OEL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I would sign him for 1 year, maybe 2, years to be the stable vet presence for Power that he needs.  I don't care about his scoring stats.

2 years at $5M per.

Do you care about whether he is bad at defense?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

2 years at $5M per.

That would be a horrible decision. He was awful at even strength, awful on the power play, awful on the penalty kill. He's done, and it's obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Absolutely not. 

He's had defensively and shoots left. He brings nothing to the Sabres except "I'm old now"

Also, Owen Power pretty much proved he is the stable presence. He was the best defender on the team last season, he doesn't need OEL.

Power needs a vet to mentor him on the ice and off it.

10 hours ago, Curt said:

Do you care about whether he is bad at defense?

No.

10 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

That would be a horrible decision. He was awful at even strength, awful on the power play, awful on the penalty kill. He's done, and it's obvious.

So.  The Sabres brought in Patrick when he was a fraction of his former self.

The Sabres D need a vet on the ice and in the room.

• dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Power needs a vet to mentor him on the ice and off it.

No.

So.  The Sabres brought in Patrick when he was a fraction of his former self.

The Sabres D need a vet on the ice and in the room.

OEL isn't going to mentor him do anything. Okposo and all the other team leaders can mentor him. 

I would not give a dollar for OEL at this point. I want to win and make the playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He's signing with Tampa and will post a 97% xGF next season

Cuz he's only playing on PP two?

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

OEL doesn’t make any logical sense for the team. He has never been considered a defensive stalwart even in his better years and since we don’t need another offensive defenseman 

Actually we do.  Who is our 2nd puck mover if Dahlin or Power get hurt?

• Vomit 1
  • dislike 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually we do.  Who is our 2nd puck mover if Dahlin or Power get hurt?

We need to strengthen our defense before adding redundancies. OEL is atrocious defensively and would be literally worthless aside from Power/Dahlin being out. I have no use for a player who is only useful if it requires other players to be hurt in order for them to have any actual purpose. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.