OEL Bought Out, Any interest on a cheap 1-2 deal?

GASabresIUFAN

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

All right, let's not get carried away, here.  Is OEL really THAT bad?

1. Clague is not as bad as he's portrayed here.

2. OEL is that bad.

I've watched OEL the last few years. It's not that he doesn't help the Canucks, it's that he actually hurts them and is a detriment whenever he's on the ice.

Edited by Sabres73

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I never thought of OEL as a top 4 contender.  I was thinking about him as a depth addition that can play up in an emergency.  I agree on Pesce and agree that OEL is likely to sign for the minimum (or close to it) to play for a "proven" contender.  Still, when I compare his talent level to those players on our roster outside the top 3, it's not even close.  OEL is significantly more talented.  

I look at guys like Bogo, but also like TNT and Mitts, who this board has been so definite were done or never going to be anything, and these firm opinions turned out to be completely wrong.  I get that people who watch Van think OEL is done.  He certainly isn't worth what he was getting paid and had no market value with the contract.  Van did the right thing in buying him out.  That doesn't mean however he is done as a player and done as a player in the NHL.  If he were 35+ I'd agree to not even consider it, but at 32 he can and probably will bounce back.  

Well as we've both said, he's likely to go to a contender for their bottom end. Just don't see a guy like that being motivated to do much on the bottom end of anything less than a top contender, so not a good influence on the young players imo. I'd rather go with a Gudas type if we can't land a Pesce or an Orlov or some other higher end guy. Clifton's still my cheaper fall back alternative if all else fails. 

I would not be unhappy adding TWO D men tbh. We won't though. 

• Like (+1) 1

From the above link

"Ekman-Larsson was one of the worst defencemen in the NHL at denying 5-on-5 zone entries, stopping 38.5 per cent of the attempts made against him — 209th out of 211 defencemen who played at least 500 minutes. That was down from 45.5 per cent in 2021-22 and 48.2 per cent in his final season in Arizona. (A player is credited with a defensive-zone denial when an opponent fails to execute a play, such as a completed pass or scoring chance, upon gaining the offensive blue line.)" 

Sign him up!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.