OEL Bought Out, Any interest on a cheap 1-2 deal?

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Power needs a vet to mentor him on the ice and off it.

No.

So.  The Sabres brought in Patrick when he was a fraction of his former self.

The Sabres D need a vet on the ice and in the room.

Why do you think the Canucks, a non-playoff team, paid millions of dollars for OEL to not play hockey for them anymore? And you want him on our team? Yeesh.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually we do.  Who is our 2nd puck mover if Dahlin or Power get hurt?

For a guy who's been constantly posting in every thread how Adams needs to upgrade the defense, I'm absolutely floored that you're arguing we should acquire OEL.

If both Dahlin and Power are injured, there isn't a player we can acquire this offseason to make up for that. That's like asking why Edmonton doesn't add P Kane in case Draisaitl and McDavid get injured. 

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I asked this in the around the NHL thread and some of the posters who live out west and get to see him often have me convinced that this is not a good idea unless he's really, really cheap.

But even then, why plug up a roster spot on someone that fits this description regardless of cost? There are so many avenues to not have ANY players looked at this way on the 23 man roster.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But even then, why plug up a roster spot on someone that fits this description regardless of cost? There are so many avenues to not have ANY players looked at this way on the 23 man roster.

Yeah I'm talking like league minimum cheap and taking a spot away from the likes of Clague just on the small, small chance OEL turns it around.  In other words, the SabreSpace western scouts tell me not to go after the guy with any seriousness at all & since I have very little experience watching him, I'll trust them.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

For a guy who's been constantly posting in every thread how Adams needs to upgrade the defense, I'm absolutely floored that you're arguing we should acquire OEL.

If both Dahlin and Power are injured, there isn't a player we can acquire this offseason to make up for that. That's like asking why Edmonton doesn't add P Kane in case Draisaitl and McDavid get injured. 

Never said that.  If you look at our team, we need a partner for Power and better depth.  I never said OEL should be signed for the 4th slot or even signed at all.

However, I do think he suffered through an injury plagued season last year and is likely to rebound as a solid 3rd pairing D.  I think if healthy he’d be a better all around D on this team than Stillman, Bush and maybe even Joki; none of which should ever play in the top 4.  At least when healthy OEL has the skill set to play in the top if needed. 

If you can get OEL on a vet minimum contract and his Medicals are good, then it’s worth at least kicking the tires.  

We all thought that Bogo was done as an NHL player when he left town.  Instead he has proven to be decent cheap depth on a Stanley Cup winning club. OEL was a much better player than Bogo ever was, if Bogo can bounce back from his injuries and contribute, why can’t OEL.

• Vomit 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:48 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/oliver-ekman-larsson-bought-out-by-canucks/c-344911236

If he plays like he did when healthy for Van in 2021-22, he could be a real asset.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually we do.  Who is our 2nd puck mover if Dahlin or Power get hurt?

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Never said that.  If you look at our team, we need a partner for Power and better depth.  I never said OEL should be signed for the 4th slot or even signed at all.

However, I do think he suffered through an injury plagued season last year and is likely to rebound as a solid 3rd pairing D.  I think if healthy he’d be a better all around D on this team than Stillman, Bush and maybe even Joki; none of which should ever play in the top 4.  At least when healthy OEL has the skill set to play in the top if needed. 

If you can get OEL on a vet minimum contract and his Medicals are good, then it’s worth at least kicking the tires.  

We all thought that Bogo was done as an NHL player when he left town.  Instead he has proven to be decent cheap depth on a Stanley Cup winning club. OEL was a much better player than Bogo ever was, if Bogo can bounce back from his injuries and contribute, why can’t OEL.

Okay you haven't said it directly but if this isn't heavily implying we should go after OEL (you literally started this thread) than idk what you are talking about here. Every posting is basically saying "why don't we at least think about signing OEL." I wouldn't sign him. He hasn't been good in several years, is on the wrong side of 30, doesn't shoot right, isn't particularly big or physical, has a long injury history, doesn't bring anything to the team we need. 

Also, I don't need OEL as my bottom pairing defender. I need someone who can actually you know, play defense for that. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is your post in a nutshell.... 

"I never said we should sign him... but let me tell you why we should sign him." 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/19/2023 at 3:53 PM, LGR4GM said:

No. Absolutely not. 

He's had defensively and shoots left. He brings nothing to the Sabres except "I'm old now"

Also, Owen Power pretty much proved he is the stable presence. He was the best defender on the team last season, he doesn't need OEL.

That is why signing a guy like dumba might not even be bad.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You're wrong, he's not rebounding, he's fallen off so far as to be let go by a non-playoff team who paid millions for the pleasure of removing him from the team. He's done, not sure how much clearer I can make that after watching the Canucks all year like I do every year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I would sign him for 1 year, maybe 2, years to be the stable vet presence for Power that he needs.  I don't care about his scoring stats.

2 years at $5M per.

Whaaaaaat? $5 million per? 😂 

If we signed him it would have to be one year, $900k. If he sucks, bury him in the press box. But that’s a big IF.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

First off this is a non issue. If he's going to sign for a vet minimum deal it'll be on a top contender as a depth guy. Teams like Boston, Toronto, Florida maybe. They'll kick those tires to add him for depth in their cap situations. I don't see him going to any lower tier teams (even if they are up and coming) unless it's for more money (mid range D level). So no. It's a non starter and non issue. 

Second, Bogo's a different type of player and fits a bottom end role there because of his physicality. Tampa won the cups when 2/3 of their roster was talented. Now with cap issues they are only 1/2 talent and the bottom end is all cheap physicality. How the Sabres messed up on Bogo I don't even want to get into aside from saying he was never as bad as he was painted here BUT he was also never as good as the team wanted and expected him to be. 

I'm going to keep hoping for the Pesce deal until it does or doesn't happen. It's the best one on the table at the moment. 

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

First off this is a non issue. If he's going to sign for a vet minimum deal it'll be on a top contender as a depth guy. Teams like Boston, Toronto, Florida maybe. They'll kick those tires to add him for depth in their cap situations. I don't see him going to any lower tier teams (even if they are up and coming) unless it's for more money (mid range D level). So no. It's a non starter and non issue. 

Second, Bogo's a different type of player and fits a bottom end role there because of his physicality. Tampa won the cups when 2/3 of their roster was talented. Now with cap issues they are only 1/2 talent and the bottom end is all cheap physicality. How the Sabres messed up on Bogo I don't even want to get into aside from saying he was never as bad as he was painted here BUT he was also never as good as the team wanted and expected him to be. 

I'm going to keep hoping for the Pesce deal until it does or doesn't happen. It's the best one on the table at the moment. 

I never thought of OEL as a top 4 contender.  I was thinking about him as a depth addition that can play up in an emergency.  I agree on Pesce and agree that OEL is likely to sign for the minimum (or close to it) to play for a "proven" contender.  Still, when I compare his talent level to those players on our roster outside the top 3, it's not even close.  OEL is significantly more talented.  

I look at guys like Bogo, but also like TNT and Mitts, who this board has been so definite were done or never going to be anything, and these firm opinions turned out to be completely wrong.  I get that people who watch Van think OEL is done.  He certainly isn't worth what he was getting paid and had no market value with the contract.  Van did the right thing in buying him out.  That doesn't mean however he is done as a player and done as a player in the NHL.  If he were 35+ I'd agree to not even consider it, but at 32 he can and probably will bounce back.  

I never thought of OEL as a top 4 contender.  I was thinking about him as a depth addition that can play up in an emergency.  I agree on Pesce and agree that OEL is likely to sign for the minimum (or close to it) to play for a "proven" contender.  Still, when I compare his talent level to those players on our roster outside the top 3, it's not even close.  OEL is significantly more talented.  

I look at guys like Bogo, but also like TNT and Mitts, who this board has been so definite were done or never going to be anything, and these firm opinions turned out to be completely wrong.  I get that people who watch Van think OEL is done.  He certainly isn't worth what he was getting paid and had no market value with the contract.  Van did the right thing in buying him out.  That doesn't mean however he is done as a player and done as a player in the NHL.  If he were 35+ I'd agree to not even consider it, but at 32 he can and probably will bounce back.  

You do a good job stating your case, but the disconnect is clearly happening with the bold:

2years ago, OEL and Bryson performed at roughly the same level of adequate 3rd pairing guy. Last year they each fell off the same cliff and didn’t belong on NHL ice. 3 years ago, in Arizona, OEL’s play mirrored that of his most recent year. The gap between him and Jokiharju is huge.

It has been 4 years since he has showed the talent upgrade you think might be there.

As I said last week in the other thread, on paper he looks like he might be a Jeep or a Teppo in the making, but on the ice he’s shown no signs.

If you sign him, it should be with expectations similar to Clague: any useful NHL contribution he might make should be considered a pleasant surprise.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

TNT was 23 and Mitts was 23 when those conversations took place. OEL is 32. OEL sucks and I don't wanna be the team to waste ice time trying to rehabilitate his career. I wanna compete, not be hopeful oel can idk, be slightly better Bryson. 

Not interested. 

OEL won't bounce back. 

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah I'm talking like league minimum cheap and taking a spot away from the likes of Clague just on the small, small chance OEL turns it around.  In other words, the SabreSpace western scouts tell me not to go after the guy with any seriousness at all & since I have very little experience watching him, I'll trust them.

After watching OEL this year, I would definitely keep Clague over him.

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

TNT was 23 and Mitts was 23 when those conversations took place. OEL is 32. OEL sucks and I don't wanna be the team to waste ice time trying to rehabilitate his career. I wanna compete, not be hopeful oel can idk, be slightly better Bryson. 

Not interested. 

OEL won't bounce back. 

I’d offer a slight caveat: used as #6 on a deep, defensively strong system team like Boston I could see him getting the job done.

Cast any higher, on a leakier team, he’s going to break down and fail.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.