Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

They have 48 hours after whatever is the last potential arbitration settlement they could walk away from gets awarded (or finalized, it's possible they could come to an agreement before actually getting to arbitration with that last one.

So, if Samsonov is the only Loaf heading to arbitration or there are no more Loafs heading to arbitration that the Loafs could potentially walk away from that later arbitration award, then yes, they need to have made a decision by now.  But if somebody else is player elected arbitration eligible and there is a possibility of the contract award being big enough then they still have time to make a decision.

I don’t think they can walk away from Samsonov’s award because it is under $4M. I am not sure how long they have to buy out someone.

I don't know everyone expects Boston to end up number 1 again next season in the Atlantic.   But their number 1C is Charlie Coyle or Morgan Geekie.

Replacements they got for hall/Bertuzzi are Lucic/Van Riemsdyk and are very slow.   Their Defence looks solid with adding Lindholm, but I feel like they will have to rely on their Goaltending and Defence a lot next year to win games.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I guess this explains the cap circumvention inquiries we all had. If the player is put on LTIR prior to the start of the season, then the NHL looks the other way.  
It seems to fly in the face of how we all understood how this works, which is each team needs to be cap compliant BEFORE the LTIR status is applied, but the NHL is a garage league so I’m not surprised.  

5 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I guess this explains the cap circumvention inquiries we all had. If the player is put on LTIR prior to the start of the season, then the NHL looks the other way.  
It seems to fly in the face of how we all understood how this works, which is each team needs to be cap compliant BEFORE the LTIR status is applied, but the NHL is a garage league so I’m not surprised.  

Teams have been doing this for at least the last 2 seasons.  As long as the league and PA both agree to look the other way, this will be SOP.  It's OK though, certainly the league will change its stance about the time the Sabres are in a position to need to do it themselves.  🤬

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

Wasn't there a lot of "Logan Cooley will never sign with the Coyotes" talk around here?  This is another one to keep in mind when the annual fear of losing a draft pick pops up.

I know what you're saying, but let's face it, the Sabres have lost a couple / few college prospects and it's enough that they should be wary.  We all were worried about Levi and Johnson last season, and it's a justifiable concern.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That ends their remaining cap space but I think it's a pretty good signing for them. Rounds out their top lines and if their season goes badly they can probably still flip him at the deadline even with the no trade clause (unless Tarasenko falls in love with the canal or something and refuses to leave :))

I suppose if they make the playoffs and we do not and Tarasenko gets 20+ goals we can probably say he'd have been a good Quinn replacement.