A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Further to the above, the D situation is not like the situation in goal last summer.

Last summer the Sabres were shopping from a list headlined by question marks like Campbell, Husso, Vanecek, Georgiev and Comrie.

This year the names of potential D targets is much more proven: Graves, Pesce, Hanifan, Grelczyk, Faulk, Parayko, Martinez, Mayfield, Tanev, Toews, Girard, DeMelo, Edmundson, Lindgren,  Dumba, Orlov, Dumoulin, Dunn, Soucy, Gudas, Schenn, Bouchard, DeHaan, Peeke, Borgen…

Gavrikov, Severson and Provorov have already been locked up. I’m sure there are others I’ve missed.

Any of these guys could solidify our corps. Most will see the opportunity that exists for them here. Adams has the ammunition to acquire them.

There’s just no excuse not to pull the trigger on someone.

7prq2y.jpg

5 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Nope. KA has to bring in a top 4 D and there are enough out there available through trade and free agency to get one. There are teams with cap issues that won't be able to retain players or will be more willing to part with one. It doesn't matter if some GMs are going to try and pry more value from the Sabres because we are stacked with good developmental players, they're not all going to be that way. I'm fairly confident KA will be stubborn about value and I'm glad of it. Nonetheless, various combinations of draft picks, tradeable NHL players (VO has some value) and overall level of depth at the forward position in the organization means there is a deal to be made somewhere.

Depends if KA gets *his* price 

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Further to the above, the D situation is not like the situation in goal last summer.

Last summer the Sabres were shopping from a list headlined by question marks like Campbell, Husso, Vanecek, Georgiev and Comrie.

This year the names of potential D targets is much more proven: Graves, Pesce, Hanifan, Grelczyk, Faulk, Parayko, Martinez, Mayfield, Tanev, Toews, Girard, DeMelo, Murphy, Edmundson, Lindgren,  Dumba, Orlov, Dumoulin, Dunn, Soucy, Gudas, Schenn, Bouchard, DeHaan, Peeke, Borgen…

Gavrikov, Severson and Provorov have already been locked up. I’m sure there are others I’ve missed.

Any of these guys could solidify our corps. Most will see the opportunity that exists for them here. Adams has the ammunition to acquire them.

How would you compare the goalie situation , year over year?

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How would you compare the goalie situation , year over year?

This year’s goalie market is clearly better, IMO.

On the trade market Gibson and Hart have much better resumes than last year’s group. Hellebuyck is elite (as is Saros, if he’s actually available).

And the UFAs (Raantta, Andersen Korpisalo Jarry Hill Varlamov off the top of my head) look to better fit Buffalo’s sweet spot.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm sure he love to join  Buffalo after all the stories jack told him 

What makes you think that Johnny told bad things?  By all accounts his time here was good and he loved the community.  He disagreed with the Sabres on how best to treat his neck issues.  That's it.  End of story.  In the end I bet he will tell all manner of good things on how he was treated and ended up in Vegas and now will have his name on the cup.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

What makes you think that Johnny told bad things?  By all accounts his time here was good and he loved the community.  He disagreed with the Sabres on how best to treat his neck issues.  That's it.  End of story.  In the end I bet he will tell all manner of good things on how he was treated and ended up in Vegas and now will have his name on the cup.

Seeing how jack  Criticized the fans I hardly believe that.

Plus the report that he got annoyed how good buffalo was at one point this year.

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Seeing how jack  Criticized the fans I hardly believe that.

Plus the report that he got annoyed how good buffalo was at one point this year.

Why ignore the context? Do you not believe the context makes it plausible his reaction was that of someone who was triggered by 2 hours of grown adult men mercilessly booing him? Because that’s what it was, a reaction. It wasn’t unprompted. Clearly he was “gotten to”. To me it’s wildly understandable that he didn’t take the high road. The fans certainly didn’t. The fans got the exact reaction from Jack they wanted, really, that’s the funny thing. You boo mercilessly to hopefully get a reaction. 

With the Cup win, with the distance and time... Jack always spoke highly of the city and community I’d imagine he’d focus on his feelings in those areas if asked in a normal environment 

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres have a bigger piggy bank than most teams (cap space, assets) and there appears to be multiple options out there, be it trade or free agency.

The price is the price, the need is obvious.

Failing to add a bigger piece than Lyubushkin in the next 2 weeks would be derelict, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

This year the names of potential D targets is much more proven: Graves, Pesce, Hanifan, Grelczyk, Faulk, Parayko, Martinez, Mayfield, Tanev, Toews, Girard, DeMelo, Murphy, Edmundson, Lindgren,  Dumba, Orlov, Dumoulin, Dunn, Soucy, Gudas, Schenn, Bouchard, DeHaan, Peeke, Borgen…

I think Adams and the front office, for better or worse, were on a different timeline than most fans for acquiring long term pieces through UFA or trade. The defenseman and goaltender was slim pickings last offseason as you mentioned. The Chiarot and Gubrandson deals were a sign of that. 

The goaltending acquisitions, with the exception of Levi, have not been remotely acceptable. But I do believe there was the underlying concern that Levi would follow Portillo to UFA Status. By all accounts He loved school and does things his own way, so even the perception of blocking his path to the crease may have been detrimental to the team signing him. 

And with report that the Sabres finally starting to come off trade lists, the quality of players willing to come to Buffalo has possibly improved. 

As you mentioned with the assets they have assembled, the cap space they have, their improvement in the eyes of players and agents and the level of talent that is available this offseason, there is zero excuses not to make moves. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Why ignore the context? Do you not believe the context makes it plausible his reaction was that of someone who was triggered by 2 hours of grown adult men mercilessly booing him? Because that’s what it was, a reaction. It wasn’t unprompted. Clearly he was “gotten to”. To me it’s wildly understandable that he didn’t take the high road. The fans certainly didn’t. The fans got the exact reaction from Jack they wanted, really, that’s the funny thing. You boo mercilessly to hopefully get a reaction. 

With the Cup win, with the distance and time... Jack always spoke highly of the city and community I’d imagine he’d focus on his feelings in those areas if asked in a normal environment 

I’m going to put this in the same category of the Mike Weber meltdown after the infamous Arizona game.

Dude, you’re a pro athlete, and have no connection to the slobs in the seats.  They do / care about stuff that may or may not have anything to do with you personally.  Move along.

For some reason, some guys don’t get that.  

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I know, this isn’t even the slow news season. August will be worse.

At least the draft and potential trades are getting close, with FA season right after.

Post development camp will be quiet.

I think its the anticipation, knowing in the next 2 weeks there will be a fair amount of news. ... UFA's, Trades, Signings, the Draft 

Calm before the storm!

22 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Is the draft always midweek? Seems odd.

No.  But they have been slowly moving the start of the league year back towards July 1 (where it traditionally was before the lockdown) and this past season still started a bit later than normal.  Had the SCF run the full 7 games, the last game would've been played on June 19 so the league had a conundrum should they keep to the traditional weekend draft.  They could either swap the 2 teams in the finals out of playoff mode and into draft mode in less than 1 week or they could have the 2nd day of the draft coincide with the free agency signing period opening.

Neither is a particularly good choice and players become UFA's and RFA's on the 1st day of the new league year so were they to move the FA signing period out a week that wouldn't really work either.  So, they took a page out of the NFL's book and had the 1st 2 days of the draft (and the NHL only has 2 draft days thankfully) during the week.

Expecting the draft will be at its normal time next year.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Is the draft always midweek? Seems odd.

Per someone that works for the Predators 

Hotel space or more importantly lack there of played a major role

The problem with choosing the draft site a year prior in Nashville is most of the hotel space is booked more than year in advance on weekends for bachelor/bachelorette parties, it was easier to host the draft there in the middle of the week as there was ample hotel space.  

• Thanks (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.