A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, both in terms of who we get at D and who we get at G. Was listening to Marek’s show and he mentioned he doesn’t expect any big moves from Adams. Says the Sabres are the draft and develop team and that this is very much a slow play from Adams, emphasis on slow. His words, not mine. 

On the other hand, we hear a lot of rumours he’s kicking tires on guys. In my estimation it’s likely both: it’s not that KA is opposed to outside additions (Chychrun, etc), he just appears to be very hard-line re: cost. 

Ie we either see great value trades, or no trades at all. I don’t think we make any deals that don’t look like immediate wins on paper, asset compared against asset. Ie it’s not an ends (addressing roster holes) justify the means (what we give up) situation: we are still prioritizing coming out on the right side of value in-value out equations.

- - -

Just as a random tangent Marek also mentioned he was very surprised UPL wasn’t a part of Rochester for the playoff run. Said it was because the Sabres have decided UPL is an NHL goalie.

Interesting. UPL is fine as a backup to a veteran goalie. Don't really like pairing him with Levi.

KA better either sign an UFA or trade for a top 4D. If slow play means waiting on that, well, I don't believe he will, but there's no strategy that foregoes improving the blue line that makes sense in any scenario.

Not really sure where to put this. Fella named Gabriel Foley writes a Substack called Rinkside Reprisal. This was in his mailbag on the draft. After talking about Teams Trading up or down, he wrote the following:

Trade… Anything: The Buffalo Sabres are going to be very interesting to watch. They’ve made it seem like they’re in on just about every open market player and Victor Olofsson being recently dangled as trade bait throws a curveball at anyone trying to predict which way they’re leaning. I could see Buffalo sacrificing Pick #13 in a larger deal, if it means reeling in a player that their staff feels really confident in - they’ve been looking for a truly solid addition. But I also know that Buffalo is very eager for this draft class and excited to see which players end up falling, something that could inspire them to trade up. After a season of relative success, it’ll be interesting to see how excited Buffalo gets.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Interesting. UPL is fine as a backup to a veteran goalie. Don't really like pairing him with Levi.

KA better either sign an UFA or trade for a top 4D. If slow play means waiting on that, well, I don't believe he will, but there's no strategy that foregoes improving the blue line that makes sense in any scenario.

It could simply be the same calculation he made with Chychrun. With Ullmark. We want you, we’ll roster you, but only at our predetermined price. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Not really sure where to put this. Fella named Gabriel Foley writes a Substack called Rinkside Reprisal. This was in his mailbag on the draft. After talking about Teams Trading up or down, he wrote the following:

Trade… Anything: The Buffalo Sabres are going to be very interesting to watch. They’ve made it seem like they’re in on just about every open market player and Victor Olofsson being recently dangled as trade bait throws a curveball at anyone trying to predict which way they’re leaning. I could see Buffalo sacrificing Pick #13 in a larger deal, if it means reeling in a player that their staff feels really confident in - they’ve been looking for a truly solid addition. But I also know that Buffalo is very eager for this draft class and excited to see which players end up falling, something that could inspire them to trade up. After a season of relative success, it’ll be interesting to see how excited Buffalo gets.

I feel like they’d be salivating at the chance to draft Michkov. The fact he’s several years away will matter to KA perhaps least of all GMs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-planning-to-buy-out-defenceman-oliver-ekman-larssons-contract/

OEL being bought out. One of the worst trades in history. Number 9+ for OEL and Garland. One year later they are buying OEL out and can’t give Garland away for free.

That said, what are OEL’s metrics like?

OEL-Dahlin

Power-Muel

Could be a nice top 4 fora few years and you can sign him for free now.

OEL as a top pairing D man? Oh no I don't think so. That wouldn't be good. 

You've also got 2 lefties playing right now. That part MIGHT work, but I'd rather not. I think Muel-Dahlin should stay together and Power gets a new best friend. 

I'd overpay Gudas for 3 years over this idea. 

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-planning-to-buy-out-defenceman-oliver-ekman-larssons-contract/

OEL being bought out. One of the worst trades in history. Number 9+ for OEL and Garland. One year later they are buying OEL out and can’t give Garland away for free.

That said, what are OEL’s metrics like?

OEL-Dahlin

Power-Muel

Could be a nice top 4 fora few years and you can sign him for free now.

I have no interest at all in OEL. I'd rather put Jokiharju in the top 4 than waste money on OEL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

In my defence I haven’t watched OEL in a couple years😁

Unrelated, LeBrun reporting that Hellebuyck’s agent is telling teams he is looking for $9-9.5 per year on a new deal. No thanks

That’s just a Winnipeg price. 

Big Macs here are $34 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

OEL as a top pairing D man? Oh no I don't think so. That wouldn't be good. 

You've also got 2 lefties playing right now. That part MIGHT work, but I'd rather not. I think Muel-Dahlin should stay together and Power gets a new best friend. 

I'd overpay Gudas for 3 years over this idea. 

As someone living in Vancouver who follows the Canucks coverage, I don't think OEL would make Rochester this year. He was truly awful. Bad on even strength, bad on the power play, bad on penalty kills. Just bad. I'm not sure he stays in the NHL.

39 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think phisicality is a real word.

The Sabres need a legit #4 for Power.  I wonder if new coachie in Calgary would dislike Weegar?  Probably not.  Hanifan would be a good fit I think.  Could probably sign hin for 5 for $7 or so.

Not sure what to do about a goaler.

The trend with defensemen of Hanifin’s profile is seven or eight year contracts (Parayko, Pulock, Faulk, Brodin).

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The trend with defensemen of Hanifin’s profile is seven or eight year contracts (Parayko, Pulock, Faulk, Brodin).

Fine.  At 26 years old I would go 7 at $7.5M per.  I'm a CPA and like nice round numbers in whole so 7 years $52M or 8 years $60M.

I would give them our #2 and OV.  With the extension 'signed' in advance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think phisicality is a real word.

The Sabres need a legit #4 for Power.  I wonder if new coachie in Calgary would dislike Weegar?  Probably not.  Hanifan would be a good fit I think.  Could probably sign hin for 5 for $7 or so.

Not sure what to do about a goaler.

Noah Hanifan? As in Eichel’s bff? That Noah Hanifan? Why not. I’m sure Eichel would give a glowing recommendation. 😂

Hard pass.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Noah Hanifan? As in Eichel’s bff? That Noah Hanifan? Why not. I’m sure Eichel would give a glowing recommendation. 😂

Hard pass.

What’s the old saying? It’s much easier to be a gracious winner. Jack won, he achieved the ultimate goal. Considering I don’t actually think he ever had a problem with Adams specifically, and combined with the added maturity age grants, I’m much more inclined to think Jack would draw from his positive Sabres experiences, now, if asked for a recommendation. Maybe that’s just me. Bitterness tends to evaporate, especially with success 

Unless he really, really has it in for the owners, I guess 

• Like (+1) 1

Truth is there are a pile of teams looking for the great top-defenseman we are also looking for. It sure isn't easy getting that or everybody would have them. Asking price will no doubt be so high I doubt KA will give away what other teams are asking. I have no problem with what we have moving forward which is better then, and younger then most other teams. Still think better goaltending, along with a more determined effort defensively by the whole team in general will make a huge differnece. 

26 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Truth is there are a pile of teams looking for the great top-defenseman we are also looking for. It sure isn't easy getting that or everybody would have them. Asking price will no doubt be so high I doubt KA will give away what other teams are asking. I have no problem with what we have moving forward which is better then, and younger then most other teams. Still think better goaltending, along with a more determined effort defensively by the whole team in general will make a huge differnece. 

Nope. KA has to bring in a top 4 D and there are enough out there available through trade and free agency to get one. There are teams with cap issues that won't be able to retain players or will be more willing to part with one. It doesn't matter if some GMs are going to try and pry more value from the Sabres because we are stacked with good developmental players, they're not all going to be that way. I'm fairly confident KA will be stubborn about value and I'm glad of it. Nonetheless, various combinations of draft picks, tradeable NHL players (VO has some value) and overall level of depth at the forward position in the organization means there is a deal to be made somewhere.

The Sabres have a bigger piggy bank than most teams (cap space, assets) and there appears to be multiple options out there, be it trade or free agency.

The price is the price, the need is obvious.

Failing to add a bigger piece than Lyubushkin in the next 2 weeks would be derelict, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres have a bigger piggy bank than most teams (cap space, assets) and there appears to be multiple options out there, be it trade or free agency.

The price is the price, the need is obvious.

Failing to add a bigger piece than Lyubushkin in the next 2 weeks would be derelict, in my opinion.

And not expecting a 2nd piece, but in addition to the Graves-esque guy he brings in, Adams really should bring in another Lyubushkin too.  The D would be flat out set and could weather injuries much better than they could last season.

• Agree 2

Further to the above, the D situation is not like the situation in goal last summer.

Last summer the Sabres were shopping from a list headlined by question marks like Campbell, Husso, Vanecek, Georgiev and Comrie.

This year the names of potential D targets is much more proven: Graves, Pesce, Hanifan, Grelczyk, Faulk, Parayko, Martinez, Mayfield, Tanev, Toews, Girard, DeMelo, Murphy, Edmundson, Lindgren,  Dumba, Orlov, Dumoulin, Dunn, Soucy, Gudas, Schenn, Bouchard, DeHaan, Peeke, Borgen…

Gavrikov, Severson and Provorov have already been locked up. I’m sure there are others I’ve missed.

Any of these guys could solidify our corps. Most will see the opportunity that exists for them here. Adams has the ammunition to acquire them.

There’s just no excuse not to pull the trigger on someone.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.