A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

I don’t want my players blocking every shot possible in the regular season. There is too much risk for injury with that mindset. I think they need to gauge the situation and act accordingly. It’s not really a switch you can turn off and on but more along the lines of the 80% effort of the regular season.

1 or 2 goal lead in the third period, maybe block the shot. A win in October is as important as March.

Safely in the playoffs with two games to play, maybe let the goalie take it.

idk, you have to learn to play a certain way and it becomes instinctive for them. Players definitely can give it more in the playoffs but to some extent you either are a shot blocker or you're not. Injuries happen on D, that's why you need depth. I personally think you should play the right way (and block shots) all year. 

36 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I never thought of him because I always assumed he was a fixture in Carolina. I have liked his game whenever I watched them play.

I wonder why he may be on the market, he is an important part of their D corps. 

I see that their D prospects include Alexander Nikishin, a 2020 pick who has done well in the KHL and was on the top pairing for SKA St Petersburg. Scott Morrow is a second rounder in 2021 in the NCAA. Another 2nd rounder in 2021 is Aleksi Heimosalmi.

Carolina sets a price on a guy and that is it. They won’t go over. He just changed agents for a new deal. He has 1 year left at $4 million then he is a UFA. They also have Aho coming up and that is going to be a massive deal.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Carolina sets a price on a guy and that is it. They won’t go over. He just changed agents for a new deal. He has 1 year left at $4 million then he is a UFA. They also have Aho coming up and that is going to be a massive deal.

KA and his analytics guys set a price on guys too. If Pesce is their guy then I hope they can meet his demands.

I wonder who goes the other way, someone mentioned a first rounder,

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Don't we have enough of his type on buffalo I would hope they get  A physical defenseman that just stays home

Good right handed defenders who are 2way defenders? No, we have none actually. Maybe Jokiharju kinda but not really. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Shayna on Sabres Live thinks we should go after Carson Soucy who is a UFA.

There seems to be a lot of options out there and you get the sense Adams is leaving no stone unturned.

I think filling that number 4 spot has been a huge priority and they’ve done a done of work identifying what’s needed and the best available fits.

Really curious who their top targets are and how much they are willing to pay.

29 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Don't we have enough of his type on buffalo I would hope they get  A physical defenseman that just stays home

What kind of player do you think Faulk is?  He isn’t purely a stay at home guy, but he is good defensively and physical.

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

KA and his analytics guys set a price on guys too. If Pesce is their guy then I hope they can meet his demands.

I wonder who goes the other way, someone mentioned a first rounder,

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina wants a first. They dumped DeAngelo for a 2nd a third and a 4th so they'll want more for Pesce and if Edmonton is also bidding the final price will be high. We have the draft capital to do it though and assuming it involves a long term signing it locks up a solid top 4 (assuming Dahlin signs). When we look back on that top 4 grouping years from now nobody's going to care how many or which picks we gave away. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Shayna on Sabres Live thinks we should go after Carson Soucy who is a UFA.

An upgrade but not the best plan. This one should be a plan B or even plan C if other better deals don't happen. Soucy is inconsistent and ended up 3rd pairing at the end of the year. Borgen outplayed him (just for a point of reference). 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina wants a first. They dumped DeAngelo for a 2nd a third and a 4th so they'll want more for Pesce and if Edmonton is also bidding the final price will be high. We have the draft capital to do it though and assuming it involves a long term signing it locks up a solid top 4 (assuming Dahlin signs). When we look back on that top 4 grouping years from now nobody's going to care how many or which picks we gave away. 

If an extension is part of the deal I can probably, albeit reluctantly, live with giving up #13 for Pesce, although I'd much prefer #39 and next year's first-rounder.  I totally agree that securing a strong top 4 for the foreseeable future is a very attractive proposition.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-planning-to-buy-out-defenceman-oliver-ekman-larssons-contract/

OEL being bought out. One of the worst trades in history. Number 9+ for OEL and Garland. One year later they are buying OEL out and can’t give Garland away for free.

That said, what are OEL’s metrics like?

OEL-Dahlin

Power-Muel

Could be a nice top 4 fora few years and you can sign him for free now.

• Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

39 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-planning-to-buy-out-defenceman-oliver-ekman-larssons-contract/

OEL being bought out. One of the worst trades in history. Number 9+ for OEL and Garland. One year later they are buying OEL out and can’t give Garland away for free.

OEL-Dahlin

Power-Muel

OEL is not a top 4 anymore. He would be a vet minimum reclamation project as a signing, which is fine, but you don't want him anywhere near Dahlin or Power and their assignments or minutes.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, both in terms of who we get at D and who we get at G. Was listening to Marek’s show and he mentioned he doesn’t expect any big moves from Adams. Says the Sabres are the draft and develop team and that this is very much a slow play from Adams, emphasis on slow. His words, not mine. 

On the other hand, we hear a lot of rumours he’s kicking tires on guys. In my estimation it’s likely both: it’s not that KA is opposed to outside additions (Chychrun, etc), he just appears to be very hard-line re: cost. 

Ie we either see great value trades, or no trades at all. I don’t think we make any deals that don’t look like immediate wins on paper, asset compared against asset. Ie it’s not an ends (addressing roster holes) justify the means (what we give up) situation: we are still prioritizing coming out on the right side of value in-value out equations.

- - -

Just as a random tangent Marek also mentioned he was very surprised UPL wasn’t a part of Rochester for the playoff run. Said it was because the Sabres have decided UPL is an NHL goalie.

Edited by Thorny

48 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

OEL-Dahlin

Power-Muel

Yeah, no.

His play has really tailed off the pas few years.  He probably isn’t a top-4 guy anymore, at least not for a good team.  He is about to turn 32, so I’m not too confident that he will be able to turn things around.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.