A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

42 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No.  At this point these are the two most obvious needs of the team.  Why would you be surprised that Kevyn recognizes that?

I’m not.  That was the point of my post.  The need is so obvious even Sabres management recognizes it.  

Granted I posted about those same two needs a year ago before last season stating if they get real goaltending and a better defenseman or 2 we were ready to be a playoff team.  Instead we got Comrie and Lyubuskin.  

While I have some confidence KA can make the necessary moves, a veteran G and a top 4 D acquisition are going to force him out of his comfort zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • dislike 1

6 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

I’d be super excited if KA got us that big #4 RHD, a vet goalie and a face-off winning scrappy center that can put the puck in the net.

A center built for playoff hockey. Can you imagine? How much better our defense will be compared the defense that played at the beginning of last season or even the end of it?  Being strong in goal? I mean, really strong.  I am certain our #2 line is going to make a substantial jump next season with Quinn - Cozens - JJP all a year older and bigger. Then give Casey a real good center to partner with. Maybe put Jost, Krebs or Rousek at #3 RW…. Who knows, maybe Kulich? With two vets, Kulich might be able to pull it off…  Finish it ll off with a Miles Wood addition.

I mean, why not?

I think we already have that on the roster with Cozens and Krebs

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic

Sabres in the market for a top-4 D, goaltending

The Sabres would like to upgrade in goal, but our understanding is that GM Kevyn Adams’ top priority is landing a top-four defenseman.

On goaltending, assuming they don’t want to rush the development of Devon Levi, the Sabres need to get an experienced NHL starter onto the roster before training camp begins. Hellebuyck has to top the list, but he’ll be pricey. The Jets will be looking for young team-controlled assets in exchange. The Sabres do have plenty of those — from Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to Peyton Krebs to even Casey Mittelstadt.

If the Sabres balk at the Hellebuyck asking price, they could also get into the market for John Gibson, who will also be pricey and would likely prefer to play for his hometown team, the Penguins, but might see the upside in the Sabres’ lineup and consider that a better long-term fit.

Of course, surrendering zero assets and shopping on the UFA market for a goalie might be a better option. Even if the Sabres do extend Rasmus Dahlin on a monster contract after July 1 — probably eight years in the $10 million range — they will have cap flexibility.

Gibson headlines Ducks’ loaded trade class

The feeling is that the 29-year-old Gibson (No. 7 on the trade board) would be amenable to a move to a contender because the Ducks are not going to be a playoff team for years. His contract is reasonable — $6.4 million for four more years — especially if you believe he can still be a top-10 NHL goalie playing behind better defense.

Gibson has a 10-team no-trade list. The suspicion, though, is his preference would be one of three: Pittsburgh, Vegas or Los Angeles. He probably would be OK with New Jersey or Buffalo, as well, given their upward trajectories.

I wouldn't touch Gibson for a 5th round pick.  The term of contract, the hot and cold streaks, the injury bug that bites him.  Easy pass on John Gibson.   As is the case with Hellebuyck, he's a great netminder when he's on; but I'm not trading Devon Levi in a package for him, with or without a confirmed extension.

• Like (+1) 4

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Haula can skate too so he'd fit with an up tempo style. Could be 3C or 4C. I would make an offer to him, absolutely. 

The forward spots on this roster are non existent even if you don't sign Zemgus and you trade olofsson. 

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Friedman says teams are talking to Calgary about Hanifin. Have to believe Adams is one of them. He fits the profile, fits the system and  Granato coached him

I'd love to add Hanifin to our 2nd pair. I'd trade 13 for him. 

14 hours ago, IvanPutski said:

How about Dumba?  Thoughts???

We know he's available and it's intriguing with his skills, shot and leadership ability. A bit small at 6' 180, Montour-sized. Looks like he'd cost about $6 million. So would Tyler Myers, at 33 is still 6'8. I kind of like the idea of a Nephilim-sized defensive corps. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The forward spots on this roster are non existent even if you don't sign Zemgus and you trade olofsson. 

You’d have to have an extension in place for Hanifin. He would really round out the top 4. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree on Hanifin but I’ll continue to beat this drum in disagreement with you, they are looking for a veteran center. It’s third to a goalie and a defenseman but it’s real.

• Like (+1) 1

Gibson has been well below average to downright bad for 4 straight years now, why the hell would they trade for a huge contract and a guy who is clearly on the downside of his career?

That would be one of the dumbest moves possible for Adams to make...trade for a huge contract that will take assets to get that is not any better than UPL.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Depends how you look at it and whether or not you want to be a better team now or not. If you only view "holes" as empty spots then you are right, but if you want to look at upgrades then there are options. Haula at 3C is an upgrade on Jost. Haula can also play wing. I doubt the Sabres would consider him as an option, but he would be an upgrade if they did and he would fit the team style.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Two problems. One, he has a modified no trade clause and we might be on his list, and two, he's a UFA after next season. I wouldn't give up a high first unless we were signing him long term as part of the deal. If we were, sure, he'd also be a good fit. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I agree on Hanifin but I’ll continue to beat this drum in disagreement with you, they are looking for a veteran center. It’s third to a goalie and a defenseman but it’s real.

I don't see pursuing a veteran center as being a priority on this offseason's wish list. It became less of a need since Krebs elevated his game and Mitts showed enough flexibility to also play center. For me, getting a second pairing defenseman is the top priority. 

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Depends how you look at it and whether or not you want to be a better team now or not. If you only view "holes" as empty spots then you are right, but if you want to look at upgrades then there are options. Haula at 3C is an upgrade on Jost. Haula can also play wing. I doubt the Sabres would consider him as an option, but he would be an upgrade if they did and he would fit the team style.

Two problems. One, he has a modified no trade clause and we might be on his list, and two, he's a UFA after next season. I wouldn't give up a high first unless we were signing him long term as part of the deal. If we were, sure, he'd also be a good fit. 

Lol. 

No I want to be worse next year. It's my childhood dream. 

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd trade 13oa for Hanifin regardless of his contract. I'd do the same for.  hellebuyck. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You've had a great decade then, Congratulations. 

Can't believe you disagree with trading 13oa. I thought you wanted to get better? I guess you're content with losing. 

See how annoying that post sounds. It's exactly how you frame everything. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1667909560076734465/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1667909560076734465&currentTweetUser=NHLNetwork

Jackets could be going after Parayko. Looks like Babcock wants vets on the backend. Could Jiricek be pried away?😛

Respectfully, there is zero possibility of this happening.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd trade 13oa for Hanifin regardless of his contract. I'd do the same for.  hellebuyck. 

I would trade 13OA as part of a package for  Hellebuyck or Saros. 

Hanifin I would be a little hesitant about. I think you would get more bang for the buck with a goalie or moving it for a defenseman with term and a lower AAV or a RFA needing a new deal. Dream scenario is K’Andre Miller. 

Evolving Hockey has Hanifin’s most likely next deal at 8 years 7.4 million AAV. 

His metrics slipped a little this pass season, but I would offer a Top 10 protected 2024 1st for him though. 

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would trade 13OA as part of a package for  Hellebuyck or Saros. 

Hanifin I would be a little hesitant about. I think you would get more bang for the buck with a goalie or moving it for a defenseman with term and a lower AAV or a RFA needing a new deal. Dream scenario is K’Andre Miller. 

Evolving Hockey has Hanifin’s most likely next deal at 8 years 7.4 million AAV. 

His metrics slipped a little this pass season, but I would offer a Top 10 protected 2024 1st for him though. 

I would not, primarily based on that contract proposed. Plus I don’t want our top 4 to be all lefties.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

I wouldn't touch Gibson for a 5th round pick.  The term of contract, the hot and cold streaks, the injury bug that bites him.  Easy pass on John Gibson.   As is the case with Hellebuyck, he's a great netminder when he's on; but I'm not trading Devon Levi in a package for him, with or without a confirmed extension.

Lol Levi has zero chance of being traded so you don’t have to worry. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.