OT: Canada smoke smells of shame and Martin Short

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So why are there no wildfires in the U.S. ? Did you already cut down all your forests?

Thousands of acres burned in a Pennsylvania wildfire in April. Wildfires in the western US are a regular occurance.

I’m no expert, but I am aware that in addition to or perhaps, instead of climate change, one of the biggest reasons for massive wildfires was the century long approach to stopping all forest fires instead of letting them play out as they have for millennia. This led to a buildup of smaller vegetation that becomes a tinder box when the fire eventually hits, leading to such an out of control blaze it even consumes the large trees that would survive a normal fire (a pre-forest fire intervention fire).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, hockey said:

I've lived in Los Angeles since 2000 - "fire season" is just one of the accepted seasons. 

Yes, it's now getting worse everywhere because of man-made climate change.

But NYC people are just whining.

It's getting worse because of the army corps of emgineers water shed diversion programs off of the Western ranges for the past 90 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Pre-Zappa parking lot hash at Shea's.

5 hours ago, hockey said:

I've lived in Los Angeles since 2000 - "fire season" is just one of the accepted seasons. 

Yes, it's now getting worse everywhere because of man-made climate change.

But NYC people are just whining.

This. Yes, It is eerie, but still f'n cool. The question is, is it the first of many or just a one time thing. Usually the smoke from Canada goes east.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

When I went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game, the guy that sat beside me showed me his homemade Pennsylvania State tattoo. 

Yinz gotta hit up Primanti Bros after the game, guy. Then yinz can fill up at Sheetz and grab some j popperz and a red bull smoothie. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So why are there no wildfires in the U.S. ? Did you already cut down all your forests?

California hasn't gotten started yet...

6 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Yinz gotta hit up Primanti Bros after the game, guy. Then yinz can fill up at Sheetz and grab some j popperz and a red bull smoothie. 

Primanti Bros rocks!!

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Ours just don't blow like yours do.

lol, I guess which way the wind blows does have pretty big impact. I think you Western New Yorkers are getting most of it from Quebec right now. Out here on the west coast we're getting some from Vancouver island I think as they have a big one going there. @bunomatic might be choking on it over in Nanaimo.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.