Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

But is it? I mean enough for a 40% increase in salary?

A forward with Thompsons quality....Thompson's value to this team is in terms of goal scoring. I went to NHL.com and looked at scoring per 60.  Last year Thompson was 10th in the league. Over the past 2 seasons he is 5th in the league. Goals per game played? He's 11th. And that is with him playing injured for a good part of the last quarter of the season.  If he is healthy and progresses even a tiny little bit, he can/should be in the top 10, if not top 5 in scoring in the league next year.

D-men. Scoring isn't as important to a D-men as a forward, so I wasn't sure what metric to use so I just looked at Norris voting.  Dahlin finished 8th last year. The previous year he was out of the top 15.

Now personally, I think Dahlin is more important overall to the team than Thompson, but I think it is close.  But as a forward/center/goal scorer Thompson right now probably ranks in the top 10 in the league (or very close to it) and an argument can be made Dahlin is in the same area when you rank D-men.  AND the Top forwards in the league make more than the top D-men do.

Norris voting doesn't tell us anything.

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Norris voting doesn't tell us anything.

It does when it is a proxy for the general view who are the best D-men in the league.  If now what are the metrics we can use?  Where does Dahlin rank among the top D-men in the league?

Edited by mjd1001

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It does when it is a proxy for the general view who are the best D-men in the league.  If now what are the metrics we can use?  Where does Dahlin rank among the top D-men in the league?

It doesn't because you aren't comparing the same things for Tage. Why? Simple, there are a lot more better forwards and a lot more forwards close to Tage than there are Dahlin. Dahlin was 3 points shy of being the 2nd highest scoring defender in the NHL. There is about 8 defenders in a top tier and then a big dropoff. Tage is great and I love him but there's probably 15-20 guys in that ballpark or better. So it comes down to how hard it is to acquire a true #1 defender versus trying to get a Tage. Also Tage signed essentially 2 years ago. I don't really understand what you are arguing if I am being honest. 

If the Sabres make the playoffs, the Norris votes go up. The problem with any of the trophies is they are based on team perception and player perception. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

But is it? I mean enough for a 40% increase in salary?

A forward with Thompsons quality....Thompson's value to this team is in terms of goal scoring. I went to NHL.com and looked at scoring per 60.  Last year Thompson was 10th in the league. Over the past 2 seasons he is 5th in the league. Goals per game played? He's 11th. And that is with him playing injured for a good part of the last quarter of the season.  If he is healthy and progresses even a tiny little bit, he can/should be in the top 10, if not top 5 in scoring in the league next year.

D-men. Scoring isn't as important to a D-men as a forward, so I wasn't sure what metric to use so I just looked at Norris voting.  Dahlin finished 8th last year. The previous year he was out of the top 15.

Now personally, I think Dahlin is more important overall to the team than Thompson, but I think it is close.  But as a forward/center/goal scorer Thompson right now probably ranks in the top 10 in the league (or very close to it) and an argument can be made Dahlin is in the same area when you rank D-men.  AND the Top forwards in the league make more than the top D-men do.

This just doesn’t matter.

Thompson signed his contract after one good season.  Last season is irrelevant to his contract.  It was already signed.  It’s cool that it looks like his contract will be a bargain, but it does mot make a difference in relation to other players’ contracts.

Is it reasonable to say that because Thompson is out performing his deal, Dahlin’s contract should be lower than market value?  I don’t think it is.

Thompson’s contract is great value for the team.  That doesn’t change what is fair market value for Dahlin.

On 9/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, LabattBlue said:

As long as Dahlin is a Sabre, Power will never be able to maximize his earning potential mainly because Power will never be part of PP1 unless they go to a PP1 group with both of them on the point. 

Sucks for Power, good for everyone else.  

It won't suck for Power if he ends up winning a Stanley Cup because he's on a good Team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK.  You've made this joke about 50 times this summer.  We get it.

Buffnill making the same joke over and over is significantly less annoying than continuously being told the deal is done when it clearly isn’t nor has been. Maybe those posters should drop it first. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Buffnill making the same joke over and over is significantly less annoying than continuously being told the deal is done when it clearly isn’t nor has been. Maybe those posters should drop it first. 

This thread’s life force has been sustained only by people coming in here to make jokes about “is it signed yet?”.

It’s not like people are coming in here everyday to continuously insist that the contract is done.  It’s people coming in here every day to make jokes.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’ve been thinking about this and maybe both are true?  Maybe both parties have an agreed upon range based on what the salary cap and some of the other signings around the league come in at?  As this information started to become finalized, that would change the number on the contract while also adhering to the “agreement.”  This really just might be KA and the Sabres FO managing the salary cap and using that to negotiate these team friendly and/or fair market contracts with his core. 

The life of a Sabres fan - creating anxiety and drama when there is no need for any.

He is under contract for the coming season.  The Sabres do not need to sign an extension until almost a year from now.

That said, they will not want a distaction during the season.

I have a feeling that the contract is agreed to and there will be splashie photo op at the opening of training camp when KA will hand a 29 cent Bic to Dahlin for the staged signing.  Flash bulbs will go off and the cheesy grins will be wide spread.

• Like (+1) 5

On 9/7/2023 at 11:46 AM, LabattBlue said:

Power will never be part of PP1 unless they go to a PP1 group with both of them on the point. 

But that could happen--and could be awesome.  I know most PP1 units have a forward on the point, but that can backfire (Alfredsson) and with their abilities, this could be amazing.  Or Power could be on the point of PP2, which also presents a threat.

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don't really blame the posters here. They didn't talk about it until a guy who has demonstrably had sources before said it was done, and discussion picked up again when Peters and Rivet, two guys who have played for the organization, claimed it was done again. It's a Sabres board, it would be surprising to not see those things trigger discussions. That said, the longer we go, and if the values are wrong, each source deserves to have their credibility docked. So Buffalonill gets credit for being wary of Chad's news. But he is also the one that has bumped the thread unprompted, plenty of times, which is what freeman is talking about, and it's definitely overdone at this point because honestly who even cares about waiting for a deal that has nothing to do with the coming year and will obviously get done at some point

There is no completed contract for Dahlin or Power, but KA is working on both as we post.  
This is from the Athletic today quoting KA.

“We started conversations early in the offseason with (both Dahlin and Power) and continued all through the summer. We continue to talk now and they’ve been really positive. So it’s something that we’re still going to work on here over the next couple of weeks.”

https://theathletic.com/4845900/2023/09/08/nhl-gm-meetings-hellebuyck-scheifele/

PS.  Power and Sanderson have the same agent, Pat Brisson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.