Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As much as I like Mitts you can't keep everyone.  They have committed long-term $ to TNT and Cozens.  We have Östlund, Rosen, Krebs, Kulich, and Savoie all possible 3rd line centers over the next few years. It's possible Krebs could even prove ready for that role as early as this season.  What do you do if your KA and JJP and Quinn take a strong step forward and Mitts jumps to 70 points.  Obviously a great problem to have, but how many can you reasonably afford to re-sign?  Maybe KA nad Mitts can come to a 2-3 bridge extension to keep the band together for a few more years, but at some points someone (or 2 or 3) have to move on.

We do have Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, etc coming down the pipes, but I think they are more of an unknown than Mitts. Bird in the bush… In the worse case scenario, we sign Mitts to a reasonable (ie tradable) contract. If he continues to improve, then great. If he continues to improve, but so does a youngster, you trade one of them. Either way, you’ve developed talent to receive great value back in the trade. We don’t have to decide this anytime soon. Ideally, anyone who we don’t have a spot for but who is decent will be traded for futures to start the cycle all over again. Makes sustainable winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As much as I like Mitts you can't keep everyone.  They have committed long-term $ to TNT and Cozens.  We have Östlund, Rosen, Krebs, Kulich, and Savoie all possible 3rd line centers over the next few years. It's possible Krebs could even prove ready for that role as early as this season.  What do you do if your KA and JJP and Quinn take a strong step forward and Mitts jumps to 70 points.  Obviously a great problem to have, but how many can you reasonably afford to re-sign?  Maybe KA nad Mitts can come to a 2-3 bridge extension to keep the band together for a few more years, but at some points someone (or 2 or 3) have to move on.

Yes, "at some point" Adams will need to move on from some of these guys.  But as long as he isn't giving guys NMC's, he'll be able to do so when he actually HAS to make those decisions.  Dumping Mittelstadt in 1 year is likely cutting him loose BEFORE somebody is actually replacing / improving on his role on the Sabres.

If Dahlin really does come in at $10x8 then Adams is looking at at least $5MM minimum in excess cap space from just Thompson, Cozens, and Dahlin.  That right there pretty much locks Mittelstadt up for 4-5 more years without messing up the money available for any of the other kids.  The cap is going up a lot w/in the 1st 2 seasons that Dahlin, Mittelstadt, and Power would be on new deals.

Provided there is no NMC or a limited NMC, Mittelstadt (and pretty much anybody else) is more tradable by having a 4-5 year deal than by having a 2-3 year deal.  We're getting to the point where we get to see how well Adams plan of having guys that want to be here and play with the other kids they came up with actually translates into real results as far as cap management goes.  And the early returns (especially if the rumors that started this thread are correct) are very favorable in that light.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, "at some point" Adams will need to move on from some of these guys.  But as long as he isn't giving guys NMC's, he'll be able to do so when he actually HAS to make those decisions.  Dumping Mittelstadt in 1 year is likely cutting him loose BEFORE somebody is actually replacing / improving on his role on the Sabres.

If Dahlin really does come in at $10x8 then Adams is looking at at least $5MM minimum in excess cap space from just Thompson, Cozens, and Dahlin.  That right there pretty much locks Mittelstadt up for 4-5 more years without messing up the money available for any of the other kids.  The cap is going up a lot w/in the 1st 2 seasons that Dahlin, Mittelstadt, and Power would be on new deals.

Provided there is no NMC or a limited NMC, Mittelstadt (and pretty much anybody else) is more tradable by having a 4-5 year deal than by having a 2-3 year deal.  We're getting to the point where we get to see how well Adams plan of having guys that want to be here and play with the other kids they came up with actually translates into real results as far as cap management goes.  And the early returns (especially if the rumors that started this thread are correct) are very favorable in that light.

Adams has been brilliant at getting players locked up for less than market value with long term so far...

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If I were Dahlin I would insist on 8 years x $8,675,309 and change my goal song to Jenny.

I mean, not for Dahlin, but if I were negotiating and the number was anywhere between 8.5 and 8.8M I'd absolutely suggest it, lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Adams has been brilliant at getting players locked up for less than market value with long term so far...

Absolutely. But I do notice the ones who either don’t see that, or won’t give credit. KA really has done a wonderful job in MOST of his time as Sabres GM. I give him a solid A- so far.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So basically no one knows anything 

Got it 

*multiple different people are converging on the exact same news story, which can't become official until July 1*

"Clearly this means everyone is making it up"

You are so goofy, what are you gonna say when it happens?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

*multiple different people are converging on the exact same news story, which can't become official until July 1*

He’s going to say that was so obvious that anyone with half a brain could have predicted this.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

But are multiple sources really reporting this? The above link isn’t an independent link. It’s saying that Chad D is reporting it. It’s probably true, but who else is reporting this?

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That is was the obvious signing ever adams has talked  Countless times about signing him July 1st ..

Anyone could have made this guess and said they had sources

56 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That is was the obvious signing ever adams has talked  Countless times about signing him July 1st ..

Winner, winner, @curt dinner.

13 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Sure but he’s come out with specifics regarding amount and term.  Anything deviating more than half mil from $10 per or deviating from 8 years and you may be right.  If it ends up being 8x$10 it will confirm that’s he’s not just talking out his ass. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

@Randall Flagg still waiting for those " multiple different people are converging on the exact same news story, which can't become official until July 1" 

Sorry, I didn't realize that the new guy cited Chad. It still doesn't make it more likely to be made up lmao

You just, for no reason whatsoever, decided that a guy who has known stuff and who is saying he's hearing something new, decided to make it up for no benefit to his own brand if it were to be wrong, and he gave an exact number so he very well could be wrong

Your cynicism was just bizarre and random

• Like (+1) 3

I like the Heiskanen/Ekblad comparables Lance uses above for Power. Adjust those for today’s cap and we have a fair deal.

I like even more the report that each wants to be a Sabre long-term. I was pretty sure that was the case was Dahlin, not so sure about Power.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Expect Angry NS to show up if they sign Power to a 2 year bridge deal.  Huge mistake there, IMO.  They should lock him up for 8.  That means 9 more years of our top 2 D.

That’s really up to Power and what he prefers to do. Might be smarter for him to take a bridge in favor of a monster deal later on when the cap is higher as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.