Delaware North will be OUT at the Bills' stadium, can we only hope the Sabres' arena will be next?

Eleven

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/legends-wins-bills-stadium-food-and-beverage-contract/article_47efad64-f450-11ed-b124-ab618ae018f0.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Finally.  

Finally, Jacobs doesn't get to serve substandard fare, under whatever brand name, at at least one WNY venue.  The chokehold he has had on this community--crappy food at the stadium, crappy food at the arena, I think he still has the airport, is over.

Other cities with Jacobs-based concessions are actually ok. Not great, but ok.  He's abused us locally.  And I'm glad he's out of Orchard Park.  The arena should be next.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was/is terrible. I had a beef on weck that the arena rats probably would pass on, opting to swim over to the Cheerios plant instead.

Yeah, the fare has been and is bad, and it has been bad since the Sabres opened up shop under the elder Jacobs's eye.  That's a LONG time ago.  I've complained about it in this space, and so have you.  This might be the punch in the face that the family needs (again, DN's fare in other markets really is better).  

And if not, well, sorry.  There's really not an entitlement to generational wealth.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

There are enough local food businesses that can populate the concession areas without difficulty. 

Mighty Taco

Schwabl’s 

Anderson’s

Bocce or LaNova (the real stuff)

Tim Horton’s or Spot

Anchor Bar, Duffs, or Bar Bill

Chef’s

Any number of local breweries

Paula’s 

Sahlems

etc, etc, etc

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

There are enough local food businesses that can populate the concession areas without difficulty. 

Mighty Taco

Schwabl’s 

Anderson’s

Tim Horton’s or Spot

Chef’s

Paula’s 

Sahlems

etc, etc, etc

It pains me to say it... but not Bocce's. 

I grew up on Bocce's and considered it the premier pizza place in the world, let alone Buffalo (I'm engaging in hyperbole, but you get my point). 

Now, their quality control has gone to pieces. Some pies from the Williamsville location are still like the old days, but not nearly often enough. 

Then they opened up an outlet in the airport. I have tried it twice. Good lord, it's has gone to sh*t entirely. 

OK, rant over. 

(My suggestion would be Imperial Pizza from the southtowns)

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Mighty Taco

Schwabl’s 

Anderson’s

Tim Horton’s or Spot

Chef’s

Paula’s 

Sahlems

etc, etc, etc

This would make sense.

Went to an employee appreciation dinner that sportservice threw at the stadium. They cooked chicken fingers the night before and reheated then under warmers for the party, pretty sure all the food was done like that but the "chef" only confirmed the chicken fingers. It was gross. 

The early days of the Sabres in the Aud featured frozen cardboard pizza and boiled hot dogs on a smushed roll.  Sometimes the popcorn was warm and fresh if you catch them at the right time.  

It was smart to buy a bag of “Buffalo’s Best Peanuts” from the vendor outside the main entrance.  

• Agree 1

Glad Delaware North is on the out because most of their food was awful for a long time. Nice to get some new blood in there and feature more WNY favorites. The only downside is the prices will be going even higher, unfortunately. Allegiant Stadium for the Raiders is crazy pricey on the concessions and get your checkbook ready for those PSLs$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get your season tix.

12 hours ago, TheAud said:

I grew up on Bocce's and considered it the premier pizza place in the world, let alone Buffalo (I'm engaging in hyperbole, but you get my point). 

Now, their quality control has gone to pieces. Some pies from the Williamsville location are still like the old days, but not nearly often enough. 

Then they opened up an outlet in the airport. I have tried it twice. Good lord, it's has gone to sh*t entirely. 

OK, rant over. 

There is only 1 Bocces dude, it's on Bailey. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It was smart to buy a bag of “Buffalo’s Best Peanuts” from the vendor outside the main entrance.  

Ironically, perhaps, I believe peanut concession sales is how Delaware North got its start.

Btw, "concessions" is such a funny word in this context.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ironically, perhaps, I believe peanut concession sales is how Delaware North got its start.

Btw, "concessions" is such a funny word in this context.

Doesn't it come from vendors conceding a percentage of their receipts to railroads?

Edited by Eleven

14 hours ago, TheAud said:

OK, rant over. 

If a local restaurant is chosen to be in the stadium/arena, they should serve EXACTLY what you'd get at their stores. Anyone eating LaNova at a Buffalo game would not be impressed enough to go to a real location.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If a local restaurant is chosen to be in the stadium/arena, they should serve EXACTLY what you'd get at their stores. Anyone eating LaNova at a Buffalo game would not be impressed enough to go to a real location.

It’s horrific at the Arena. I tried it once last season. They should be ashamed of themselves. You or I could do a better job at taste and texture with making pizza than what they pass off as LaNova pizza. Just brutal.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Shame on LaNova for nothing more than a quick money grab, and shame on the Sabres/DN for not putting it in the terms of the contract that the product they would be serving is the same as their other locations…not some conveyer belt crap.  

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Shame on LaNova for nothing more than a quick money grab, and shame on the Sabres/DN for not putting it in the terms of the contract that the product they would be serving is the same as their other locations…not some conveyer belt crap.  

Are you asking for something that’s feasible?

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm thinking DN just licensed the right to use the LaNova name at the Arena.  I don't think that LaNova is making that pizza.  So if LaNova wants to hurt its own brand, I guess it's allowed to...

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

There is only 1 Bocces dude, it's on Bailey. 

It's the mothership for sure, but the Hopkins Rd location has the same brother running it, as opposed to other locations are a branch out with different folks running them and I don't consider them legit Bocce's either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Did LaNova pay to get into the stadium and arena? Then shame on them for serving trash. If DelNorth paid LaNova to use their name on crap pizza, then shame on both of them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

21 minutes ago, TheAud said:

It's the mothership for sure, but the Hopkins Rd location has the same brother running it, as opposed to other locations are a branch out with different folks running them and I don't consider them legit Bocce's either.

Yes the Hopkins location is legit too along with Bailey. I’ve rarely heard a complaint regarding the quality. And I get it from Hopkins around 6-8 times a year. Always good.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.