Delaware North will be OUT at the Bills' stadium, can we only hope the Sabres' arena will be next?

Eleven

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Doesn't it come from vendors conceding a percentage of their receipts to railroads?

I'm not sure. I infer that they are "concession stands" because they represent the owner's concession to allow someone else to sell the peanuts, popcorn, cracker jacks, and such.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I'm thinking DN just licensed the right to use the LaNova name at the Arena.  I don't think that LaNova is making that pizza.  So if LaNova wants to hurt its own brand, I guess it's allowed to...

You and I both know that there's not a single Brad working at LaNova.

p.s. I recently had some cheese and pep pizza from their original store on West Ferry. It was a mess. Am I misremembering? I feel like LaNova always made a very solid pie.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TheAud said:

It's the mothership for sure, but the Hopkins Rd location has the same brother running it, as opposed to other locations are a branch out with different folks running them and I don't consider them legit Bocce's either.

I did not know that, good to know but I've had the other locations, calling it Bocce Pizza is a scam imo.

44 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

p.s. I recently had some cheese and pep pizza from their original store on West Ferry. It was a mess. Am I misremembering? I feel like LaNova always made a very solid pie.

It's been so long since I've been over there.  No idea.

13 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I did not know that, good to know but I've had the other locations, calling it Bocce Pizza is a scam imo.

The one on Delaware is pretty close to the original.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure. I infer that they are "concession stands" because they represent the owner's concession to allow someone else to sell the peanuts, popcorn, cracker jacks, and such.

You and I both know that there's not a single Brad working at LaNova.

It’s funny you mention this. I was just in Buffalo last weekend staying at a friends place on the lower west side. We were indulging in some of the devils lettuce and hanging out on the porch when I decided to order a pizza. 

Just Pizza was listed as both closer and 30 minutes quicker than La Nova, but came a full hour late, missing 2/3 ingredients, and was half cooked. 

Short story long, I had the same issue at their biggest rival. Haha.

12 hours ago, Mango said:

It’s funny you mention this. I was just in Buffalo last weekend staying at a friends place on the lower west side. We were indulging in some of the devils lettuce and hanging out on the porch when I decided to order a pizza. 

Just Pizza was listed as both closer and 30 minutes quicker than La Nova, but came a full hour late, missing 2/3 ingredients, and was half cooked. 

Short story long, I had the same issue at their biggest rival. Haha.

Dang - JP failed to come through? I would never rank them in my top tier of Buffalo pizza, but they have built that mini-empire of theirs based on being consistently good. That's a shame.

Based on my time working at a pizzeria in my teens, I will venture that getting pizza by delivery can sometimes screw up your order. The driver's there, loading up. The kitchen manager is looking at what's on deck and what's in the oven. That dynamic can lead to a pie getting shipped before it's actually done. OTOH, if you're in no shape to drive for a pickup, you have to take your chances.

• Like (+1) 1

In summer Frank would work at war memorial for Jacobs senior. Jeremy was assigned to Franks team. They would count out eighteen peanuts per bag (or something like that) I think to mix into popcorn. Jeremy refused to do it and would just throw a couple of handfuls in. Senior asked Frank how it was going, and he told him about Jeremy. Senior said to fire him. The next day he told jeremy to put in 18 peanuts. He refused and he told him he could not use him anymore. Jeremy ran to his father who unloaded on him. Jeremy came back apologized and counted 18 till end of summer.

Frank said he was only person to ever fire a Jacobs.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

In summer Frank would work at war memorial for Jacobs senior. Jeremy was assigned to Franks team. They would count out eighteen peanuts per bag (or something like that) I think to mix into popcorn. Jeremy refused to do it and would just throw a couple of handfuls in. Senior asked Frank how it was going, and he told him about Jeremy. Senior said to fire him. The next day he told jeremy to put in 18 peanuts. He refused and he told him he could not use him anymore. Jeremy ran to his father who unloaded on him. Jeremy came back apologized and counted 18 till end of summer.

That's a helluva story.

And an intriguing screen name.

Welcome!!

Interesting article in The Athletic this morning. Tim Graham interviewed Jamie Obletz, president of DN. Ron Raccuia, COO of the Bills, did not participate in the article. Short version ... the former was lamenting the emotional loss of the Bills stadium contract and the financial loss to the community because of all the dollars DN injected directly and indirectly.

Pro tip for Mr. Obletz. Being a local company should have been a huge competitive advantage. But if your product and/or service is sub-standard, none of that other stuff matters. I've read plenty here and elsewhere from dissatisfied customers. And I've experienced it first hand in a very limited number of 'opportunities' over the years.

Obletz also mentioned that DN planned to engage local restaurants in the concession line-up at the new Bills Stadium. How many years from now is that? Why did it wait?

DN has numerous concession contracts throughout the US. Mr. Obletz can allow himself one more day to 'grieve' but on Monday morning he should be pulling his staff together to figure out what went wrong with the Bills deal and how to make sure it doesn't happen elsewhere.

I'm curious about something else and thus a question for ST holders of either the Bills or Sabres. Has Delaware North ever reached out to you directly for feedback about its product and services? Or only tangentially via the teams?

On 5/16/2023 at 7:40 PM, Zamboni said:

There are enough local food businesses that can populate the concession areas without difficulty. 

Mighty Taco

Schwabl’s 

Anderson’s

Bocce or LaNova (the real stuff)

Tim Horton’s or Spot

Anchor Bar, Duffs, or Bar Bill

Chef’s

Any number of local breweries

Paula’s 

Sahlems

etc, etc, etc

Agree with the sentiment.  Buffalo has amazing local fare, that could and should be sold in the arena.  My only disagreement is that not only should ‘Mighty Taco’ not top your list, it should be removed completely.  It’s disgusting.  Any person who has tried a taco outside of the 716 knows this is true.  ETS is better and still wouldn’t rank outside the region. 

• Like (+1) 1

You'd be hard pressed to find an adult human being whose purchased a concession from Delaware North and didn't feel like they walked away with overpriced garbage. 

It'll be interesting to see if there's any improvements/updates at Key Bank center now that they've got a fire under their butts. 

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Agree with the sentiment.  Buffalo has amazing local fare, that could and should be sold in the arena.  My only disagreement is that not only should ‘Mighty Taco’ not top your list, it should be removed completely.  It’s disgusting.  Any person who has tried a taco outside of the 716 knows this is true.  ETS is better and still wouldn’t rank outside the region. 

You can say the same thing about McDonalds.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:04 AM, xzy89c1 said:

Welcome to the board!

3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Let me correct you on one thing… It doesn’t top my list as far as most important if that’s what you’re implying.

and all I was thinking of is some thing that can be mass produced, on the cheap. 

they already have Salsarita‘s in there… But that’s not a local company.

if you think ETS can do mass production for the arena… Than I am all for it.

It has nothing to do with any of those companies ranking anywhere outside the region. It has everything to do with local businesses producing local food for the arena.

That was the only reason why I threw mighty taco in there because I thought that they could probably be up to the challenge of supplying arena quantities.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, GoPuckYourself said:

There is only 1 Bocces dude, it's on Bailey. 

My wife and I used to order from Bocces on Bailey whenever we visited WNY. The last time my wife and I ordered Bocces we were disappointed. It was about four years ago, before my father-in-law died.

• Like (+1) 1

So what are the actual reasons why the concessions at Bills games are so bad? Is the implication that Delaware north hates Buffalo? Are we comparing 1970s facilities with state of the art stadiums with you still in the art concession areas?

Instead of just saying they are awful, it would be good to know why they are awful.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

So what are the actual reasons why the concessions at Bills games are so bad? Is the implication that Delaware north hates Buffalo? Are we comparing 1970s facilities with state of the art stadiums with you still in the art concession areas?

Instead of just saying they are awful, it would be good to know why they are awful.

Do the Bills have any control over the quality of offerings at RWS? If not, they should…as should the Sabres.  

It shouldn’t just be take the money, and then turn a blind eye to the slop…especially considering prices charged.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

In the few times that I've gone and paid for said junk... The food was just terrible in general, pizza was cardboard, nachos stale, pretzels hard, dogs were basically poorly boiled tasting, etc etc. 

Even when I got a Tim Hortons coffee they didn't have any cream or sugar for it (black coffee is fine) but cmon (not sure this is a DN issue or not) 

I've been to games in DC, hockey games in Vegas and etc, it's night and day different. Even when I went to the amerks game in Laval, the food and drink was 5000% better and that arena sold out with a large number of fans often. 

8 hours ago, SDS said:

No, because Delaware North's fare at the arena is considerably worse than that at similarly-aged, or even much older, facilities.  Not to mention, I'm sure the kitchens at the stadium have been upgraded since 1973.  The age of the building really shouldn't have much to do with it--Oliver's remains one of Buffalo's best restaurants, and it's been around for longer than the stadium has.

My gut feeling is that DN just never had any competition in Buffalo.  No reason to try to do better.  It's the local company, so it's going to get the contracts, right?

BTW you can go to any number of DN-owned restaurants in Buffalo...there's one at Fountain Plaza, there are two in the Westin, that I know of...they are able to do slightly better than what they do at the sports facilities and airport.  They just don't bother.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

Hochule's husband is a big shot at Delaware North. That's why they were ditched to avoid conflict of interest.

1.  It's "Hochul."

2.  Yes, he is, and he was a bigshot well before she was.

3.  I don't like her and never did.  I have personal experience with her, and there also are things in her public record that trouble me--well before she even was the Erie County Clerk.

4.  That's not why.  It has absolutely nothing to do with it.  

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:23 AM, JustOneParade said:

Interesting article in The Athletic this morning. Tim Graham interviewed Jamie Obletz, president of DN. Ron Raccuia, COO of the Bills, did not participate in the article. Short version ... the former was lamenting the emotional loss of the Bills stadium contract and the financial loss to the community because of all the dollars DN injected directly and indirectly.

Pro tip for Mr. Obletz. Being a local company should have been a huge competitive advantage. But if your product and/or service is sub-standard, none of that other stuff matters. I've read plenty here and elsewhere from dissatisfied customers. And I've experienced it first hand in a very limited number of 'opportunities' over the years.

Obletz also mentioned that DN planned to engage local restaurants in the concession line-up at the new Bills Stadium. How many years from now is that? Why did it wait?

DN has numerous concession contracts throughout the US. Mr. Obletz can allow himself one more day to 'grieve' but on Monday morning he should be pulling his staff together to figure out what went wrong with the Bills deal and how to make sure it doesn't happen elsewhere.

I'm curious about something else and thus a question for ST holders of either the Bills or Sabres. Has Delaware North ever reached out to you directly for feedback about its product and services? Or only tangentially via the teams?

Not Delaware North, but the Sabres did have a Taste of the Rink, or some other similarly named event, that STHers could attend to sample various items available in the rink (and IIRC that they were considering to be offering in the future).  Did not attend it.  Wasn't going to spend $20+ in gas to get free rink grub.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.