The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: Second Round GDT.

Eleven

Carolina is playing like a grizzled veteran team that knows how to impose its collective will on the opposition. It's obvious NJ's collective psyche has never encountered such an intense alpha entity.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Rangers are slow and play passive.

The joke was always Buffalo is where careers go to die. I think you can put the Rangers in that category for the near future. They went all out for guys like Panarin, Tarasenko, Kane etc. But their two best players are still Kreider and Zibanejad.

Edited by Claude Balls

13 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

How the hell did the stacked Rangers lose to the Devils?

Carolina was Buffalo's kryptonite this year.  (The last game between the 2 not withstanding.)  Joisey is essentially Buffalo 1 more year advanced on their progress. 

Joisey matches up MUCH better against the Rags than the Canes.  And this is a league that matchups really matter.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I think you can put the Rangers in that category for the near future.

Not just for the near future.  You can look back nearly 30 years.  NYC and TO (hi JT!, hi ROR!) are where careers go to die.

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This smells like a quick sweep, Car also had a disallowed goal 45 seconds prior to the 4th one. 

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Oof, NJ outscored 11-2 in the first two games. That's pretty ugly.

It was 10-2 in the first two games last series. It’s not over.

One of the ways I see teams scoring in the playoffs but not necessarily in the regular season is a guy will miss a golden opportunity but the team keeps quickly moving it around until they find another open guy again and then a goal. Usually after a golden opportunity the defensive team either retrieves it or clears it but I keep seeing this in the playoffs. It's like an intense swarm after a near miss, smelling blood, finally to go for the jugular.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

It was 10-2 in the first two games last series. It’s not over.

With the exception of the weird 4 goals in 2 minutes part of game 3, the Canes throttled the NYI that entire series.

NYI were playing their game, it just wasn’t enough to beat the Canes. The Devils look overwhelmed and dead on arrival.

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So the EC Finals are looking like...Carolina vs Florida!

And in the West...maybe Vegas vs Dallas?

Garments will be rended and teeth gnashed in the GWN if that happens.

The thing I'm surprised the most with is the Florida/Toronto series, or should I say the Toronto reaction to being down 0-2.

On social media, there is a lot less Toronto Angst than I thought, a lot of people thinking being down 0-2 is just a minor inconvenience that will simply mean they will win in 6 or 7 games instead of 4 or 5 games now.  AND, listening a bit on the Radio to 590 out of Toronto, most of the hosts have the same opinion.

Instead of Toronto fans/media being super worried, they are still very very sure Toronto will win the next 4.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ... said:

Carolina is playing like a grizzled veteran team that knows how to impose its collective will on the opposition. It's obvious NJ's collective psyche has never encountered such an intense alpha entity.

A good point was made on the radio this morning when listening to a show out of Toronto.  Carolina is missing some important pieces...Svechnikov, Pacioretti, and Teravainen.  However, they are playing like a team that will absolutly refuse to be outworked, no matter if the 1st or 4th lines are on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The thing I'm surprised the most with is the Florida/Toronto series, or should I say the Toronto reaction to being down 0-2.

On social media, there is a lot less Toronto Angst than I thought, a lot of people thinking being down 0-2 is just a minor inconvenience that will simply mean they will win in 6 or 7 games instead of 4 or 5 games now.  AND, listening a bit on the Radio to 590 out of Toronto, most of the hosts have the same opinion.

Instead of Toronto fans/media being super worried, they are still very very sure Toronto will win the next 4.

That is surprising for a fragile fanbase like that. They were much more up and down like a yo-yo vs Tampa.

Maybe finally overcoming the first round hurdle makes them feel invincible.

I think they still underestimate Florida as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Carolina does look like a team that can smell the cup and wants it. Boston got all the press this year but for most of the season Carolina was just behind in terms of points. Trailed off a bit at the end when I think they knew they'd have no chance at first overall but they play the right way and might be able to handle the Florida stuff. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

A good point was made on the radio this morning when listening to a show out of Toronto.  Carolina is missing some important pieces...Svechnikov, Pacioretti, and Teravainen.  However, they are playing like a team that will absolutly refuse to be outworked, no matter if the 1st or 4th lines are on the ice.

Yep. They all play like their coach, who was a huge pain in the ass to play against. Just a total buy-in by every guy on the team to emulate Brind’Amour’s style if play. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

Miles Wood definitely sounds like an adult film star 

He goes the distance. 

I suspect NJ tries to keep him, but he is definitely a free agent I would go for. Right age to still give you a good 4-5 years or more of that hardnosed play he brings. He'd be perfect 3rd line wing, and then maybe 4th line near the end if we get really good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.