Adams And Granato Media Availability Wednesday: What Do You Want To hear?

Flashsabre

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I just watched Kevyn's talk and started in on Donny's.

Wawrow was trolling as only Wawrow can.

The rest:  totally typical of their typical pressers.  Kevyn pumping up the tires on his assets, talking about possibilities in vague terms, not saying anything too definite.

Donny talking about belief, conviction, process, work ethic.  This is his usual lexicon.

Both of them want the players on the team to own whether they make the playoffs next year, and not promise for them.

There's the troll slur. For a perfectly legit question of commitment to winning over development.

Also... It's not a promise of making the playoffs that's the issue. It's a substantive statement that the franchise has done the work to pass through a doorway and into a room where other NHL franchises exist.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

There's the troll slur. For a perfectly legit question of commitment to winning over development.

Also... It's not a promise of making the playoffs that's the issue. It's a substantive statement that the franchise has done the work to pass through a doorway and into a room where other NHL franchises exist.

Stupid statement framed as a question. Use whatever term Warrow played to his audience which seems to include you in this case.

• Agree 2

Given he’s never played hockey at the professional level, I didn’t like how KA said Levi “earned” the right to those starts at the end of the season. Maybe I’m just taking issue with the word “earned”, but I could see UPL or Comrie having an issue with this. He should’ve just said “given his skill, we thought he gave our best chance for winning.” 

14 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Given he’s never played hockey at the professional level, I didn’t like how KA said Levi “earned” the right to those starts at the end of the season. Maybe I’m just taking issue with the word “earned”, but I could see UPL or Comrie having an issue with this. He should’ve just said “given his skill, we thought he gave our best chance for winning.” 

UPL and Cromrie did the opposite of earned when you review the season

Levi showed more in 7 starts than UPL and Cromrie did over their careers to date IMO

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Saying the last part… Would be an insult believe it or not to UPL and Comrie. There is no NEED to throw those two guys under the bus with that kind of statement. It just would. I am so glad he did not say something like that. After Levi’s first game, he earned the right to play a second game, then he earned the right to play a third game, then he earned the right to play a forth game …and so on. At least that’s how I see it.

maybe that chatbot thing @Flashsabre mentioned would be right up your alley 😂

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Stupid statement framed as a question. Use whatever term Warrow played to his audience which seems to include you in this case.

Why was it stupid? Shouldn't there be value in someone questioning the status quo and pushing for answers on the pressing question of merely making the playoffs? I am glad there are Wawrows and Harringtons in a media market where everyone else is for all intents and purposes on the team payroll.

Edited by PASabreFan

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Perhaps I can see your point as it relates to his first start against the Rangers, but his performance in that game certainly earned him another start. And he continued to earn other starts with each game he played. Which all meant KA, DG, and Co. obviously thought Levi gave them the best chance of winning. 

And if UPL or Comrie have an issue with that, then they should seek to elevate their own games after their abysmal display most of the season. You’d think they’d be motivated to do so after seeing how a college player came in and immediately showed he was better and gave the team the best chance to win.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

He won his first game, he earned another. None of his games did he play himself out of the started spot.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What entitlement? Which player has shown entitlement?

“The Core of Entitlement” was the previous core since jettisoned. I haven’t heard one disparaging remark about anyone on the current squad, either from people at KBC or PSE. Quite the opposite in fact. Can’t say the same about the previous  group. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Why was it stupid? Shouldn't there be value in someone questioning the status quo and pushing for answers on the pressing question of merely making the playoffs? I am glad there are Wawrows and Harringtons in a media market where everyone else is for all intents and purposes on the team payroll.

You can ask questions in good faith, and you can ask questions in bad faith depending on how you word them. I don't think anyone thinks they shouldn't ask questions, just that they grandstand a less and converse more.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problem with Levi/UPL combo next year... It's bringing in a top 4 defenseman, that will define the season going forward. For all the wringing of hands about goalies... we need another Muel to compliment our Dahlin/Power... the top 4 will average if (and a big if, giving injuries) 45 - 50 minutes a game... The weakness of this decade long rebuild seems to always be centered on goaltending, and honestly there's validity to the quality of goalies that were here, but our defensemen have been horrid in this stretch and the offense did them no favors... I can envision a Ullmark/Strayman in our goalies if we get that 4th defenseman...

Edited by Standing Room Smoking Cigs
new wording

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Not a slur.  Trolling is saying something just to get a rise out of someone.  Wawrow knew exactly what he was doing and he got the result he was looking for.  He thrives on stirring the pot.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

I have no problem with Levi/UPL combo next year... It's bringing in a top 4 defenseman, that will define the season going forward. For all the wringing of hands about goalies... we need another Muel to compliment our Dahlin/Power... the top 4 will average if (and a big if, giving injuries) 45 - 50 minutes a game... The weakness of this decade long rebuild seems to always be centered on goaltending, and honestly there's validity to the quality of goalies that were here, but our defensemen have been horrid in this stretch and the offense did them no favors... I can envision a Ullmark/Strayman in our goalies if we get that 4th defenseman...

It’s not about getting one more dman that will fix everything.

It is about a commitment to play better team defence in front of the goalies. When they cut down on high danger chances against the team and goaltending will improve greatly.

I do want to see an upgrade on the backend but it has to go hand and hand with team play all over the ice.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about don’t mention them at all?

Sure, that's an option.  Unless you are asked about them.  Even if not, if you were considering trading them you would talk them up.

I don't think your response really dismisses my point, if that was the intention.

4 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

I'm not so sure I agree about Upie but I don't necessarily disagree either.  We do, however, need to upgrade the defense, whether that means bringing someone new in or just focusing more on team defense (including the forwards).  When Donny took over he said he was primarily concerned with getting the offense clicking again; if you recall we had one of the worst goals scored per game levels in the league.  He said that was harder than tightening up the defense.  Now that the scoring is back he needs to follow through and show that team defense can be improved.  I wouldn't mind better personnel on the blue line but it's the defensive system that really needs improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

What entitlement? Which player has shown entitlement?

Poorly worded on my part. I fear that there could be a sense of entitlement. The reasons there could be a sense of entitlement seem obvious. I like this group. How they play in signature moments before big home crowds and on special nights tells me they understand their obligations.

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Sure, that's an option.  Unless you are asked about them.  Even if not, if you were considering trading them you would talk them up.

I don't think your response really dismisses my point, if that was the intention.

He was asked about the goaltending, but he did not have to praise UPL because he comes off as disingenuous.  All he had to say was he saw progress in a young goalie and we’ll evaluate our goaltending this off-season.  That way he is free to proceed with any solution.  

Now, if he trades UPL after praising him he going to look worse.  What’s he going to say then? We traded UPL because we didn’t want that much youth in goal? Or We wanted a more veteran presence with Levi?  Or we just thought he wasn’t good enough and we traded him because we didn’t want to lose him for nothing when we send him down.

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I always enjoy your perspectuve @PASabreFan  so I decided to replay the interview.   

I am not sure that Warrow tried to troll anyone or anything.   Adams might think otherwise. 

Warrow is just a clumsy guy that asked a legitimate question in a clumsy way.  Asking this particular GM to "guarantee" the payoffs next year was not a smart question.   He should know by now who he is interviewing.   The very first question (maybe by Benini) stated that upon talking to the players the universal theme is playoffs next year, and the bar should now be higher in the future  - and Adams agreed with it and enthusiastically provided commentary on it.  Done.   

Along comes Warrow.   He means to ask a legitimate question, something like  "what is the next step for this team and how do you take it" would have been good.  Instead he throws in words like guarantee and assurance.   Adams got a bit defensive and he lost some composure, so he asked for a re-do on the question.  Warrow comes back even worse, asking if the season was a "lost opportunity", and Adams comes back with "I cannot disagree with you more".

Adams then completely turns it around, and his response is basically more time to foot stomp his opening message - which ends with long term sustained success as the goal.    Classic maneuver by Adams, in public speaking whenever a question gets uncomfortable you take things back to the key messages that you want out there, and you reinforce those key messages and end the question positively.  

What I saw and heard is a really smart guy (Adams) that knows how to speak publicly and is confident in what he says.  In contrast, Warrow is mediocre in his role.  I don't think Warrow was trolling.  His coverage of the Buffalo Sports teams and his writing is for The AP and mostly ok.  He certainly lacks polish and after that presser we can question his preparation too.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.