Adams And Granato Media Availability Wednesday: What Do You Want To hear?

Flashsabre

Here is what I came away with from those two press conferences.  

1. Our media have no idea how to ask a question.

2. The playoffs are the goal next season. That’s what the players want and that’s what DG/KA believe.  My impression is KA is not sure how to fix the issues without straying from his core principal of draft and develop.

3.  KA knows the defense needs fixing, but still thinks Joki is in the mix.  They did say that some players didn’t step up like they would have hoped when the Samuelsson went down and as Dahlin played through injuries.  Hopefully this means those players will be replaced.  Personally I thought Joki didn’t step up.

4. One or two forward spots will be opened to make room for Rousek and Savoie.  Adams was very clear that when prospects are ready they’ll be in Buffalo.  To me that means it could happen organically with Z and KO choosing not to come back or moving VO out and not re-signing Jost.  

5. Goaltending.  Levi is part of the tandem next season.  For reasons not visible to fans, Marty Biron, the media or any interested observer, KA/Dg still think UPL has a future as an NHL netminder and he might very well share the net with Levi.  

6. KA brought up NJs improvement, but doesn’t seem inclined to take the same steps they did.  This is disappointing consider the steps they took were mostly to add quality D.

7. KA understands that once he locks up Dahlin and Power he’s going to have cap challenges, which is why he is overly cautious about vet additions. However, I don’t think he can fix the issues with the Sabres without doing what NJ did on defense. Adding another Lyubushkin won’t fix the problem.  

8. If there are changes on the coaching staff Bales won’t be one of them.  He was specifically mentioned for his excellent work.  

Overall there wasn’t much specific to glean from these press conferences other than they are happy with the direction of the club and happy with how the season went overall and think they should be a playoff caliber team next year.  The status quo roster I posted seems to be very much in play.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m going to go ahead and say the VAST majority. The week after any cup victory will be filled with people complaining about the inaction regarding the steps to win another one. The minute we get down in the next playoff series people will be throwing a fit at our terrible players, our crap coaching, and our incompetent GM. Book it. 

I’m gonna point you to a guy on this  forum who said that this was a bottom 4 team and complained how bad we were going into the season who then complained that we fell 2 short two points short of the playoffs. These types of people are everywhere. Complaints are constant, goalposts are always moving, satisfaction is never achieved.

The 4 consecutive super bowl years suggest otherwise.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1. Our media have no idea how to ask a question.

2. The playoffs are the goal next season. That’s what the players want and that’s what DG/KA believe.  My impression is KA is not sure how to fix the issues without straying from his core principal of draft and develop.

3.  KA knows the defense needs fixing, but still thinks Joki is in the mix.  They did say that some players didn’t step up like they would have hoped when the Samuelsson went down and as Dahlin played through injuries.  Hopefully this means those players will be replaced.  Personally I thought Joki didn’t step up.

4. One or two forward spots will be opened to make room for Rousek and Savoie.  Adams was very clear that when prospects are ready they’ll be in Buffalo.  To me that means it could happen organically with Z and KO choosing not to come back or moving VO out and not re-signing Jost.  

5. Goaltending.  Levi is part of the tandem next season.  For reasons not visible to fans, Marty Biron, the media or any interested observer, KA/Dg still think UPL has a future as an NHL netminder and he might very well share the net with Levi.  

6. KA brought up NJs improvement, but doesn’t seem inclined to take the same steps they did.  This is disappointing consider the steps they took were mostly to add quality D.

7. KA understands that once he locks up Dahlin and Power he’s going to have cap challenges, which is why he is overly cautious about vet additions. However, I don’t think he can fix the issues with the Sabres without doing what NJ did on defense. Adding another Lyubushkin won’t fix the problem.  

8. If there are changes on the coaching staff Bales won’t be one of them.  He was specifically mentioned for his excellent work.  

Overall there wasn’t much specific to glean from these press conferences other than they are happy with the direction of the club and happy with how the season went overall and think they should be a playoff caliber team next year.  The status quo roster I posted seems to be very much in play.

Pretty much read the news conferences the same as you. Do think he's going to be open to look outside for defense. Yoki will be here but expect additions below him or to maybe push him down even. Expect unless something unexpected happens Levi and UPL will be top two going in unless there's a trade.

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

And PA seemed to take my “hardliners” as a shot a Wawrow, but I actually appreciated the questioning as necessary for those who are looking like this season as a wasted opportunity.

Kevyn’s answer just reinforced what you already knew: making the playoffs is not his goal and probably never will be. His goal is to build a perennial contender and the season, to his mind, was not a wasted opportunity because he feels he got closer to that goal. 

I know many respond to that with a “when”. To me, this presser said this season got us to the doorstep and they think next year the team will be stepping through.

It wasn’t said in the words some people wanted to hear, but I’m pretty sure he expects your goal of “playoffs” and his goal of “contender” are about to align.

Contender is a very vague word. Couldn’t you say that the Sabres were contenders this season. 

33 minutes ago, NAF said:

I'm at the point where I roll my eyes when I hear Wawrow. Seems like an okay guy but he asks these long and convoluted questions that often make no sense. As a reporter your job is to be as specific as possible to get exact answers. 

I just remember during Covid when they did a zoom presser and Wawrow was at home in his bathrobe. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That wasn't because of the defense and goaltending and it's still not in a playoff spot.  Clearly, this front office can evaluate forwards, but so far their record in evaluating and hiring D and G is suspect.

They traded away Montour and allowed Ullmark to walk. Instead, they acquired Hagg, Butcher, Pysyk, Dell, Comrie, Subban, Tokarski, Clague, Stillman and Lyubushkin.

The few pluses on the ledger were the dumping of Risto and the signing of Anderson off the scrap heap.  

The Sabres' GAA in the last 4 years has increased from 3.12 to 3.5 to 3.5 to 3.62.  This is not a positive trend.  Hopefully, Levi cures some of these issues, but he can't do it alone.  

So Dahlin, Power, Mule and Levi don't count. Do we need another top 4 D, yep. Do we need a 1A goalie, maybe. Come on though, give credit where credit is do. 91 pts. out of the youngest team in the league is pretty damn good. Lets not look for things to complain about it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Pretty much read the news conferences the same as you. Do think he's going to be open to look outside for defense. Yoki will be here but expect additions below him or to maybe push him down even. Expect unless something unexpected happens Levi and UPL will be top two going in unless there's a trade.

Sadly, I’m worried that we’ll only see one notable acquisition and that will be on defense. I expect all the forwards to be players on the roster or in our pipeline and it looks like they still believe in UPL.  If they only add one D, this team won’t make the playoffs next year either unless Levi stands on his head and runs away with the Calder.

There was one answer from DG that was awful.  He basically said his players lacked confidence on the PK.  I wonder why?  Maybe the coaching of the PK sucked and maybe the goaltending also sucked.

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly, I’m worried that we’ll only see one notable acquisition and that will be on defense. I expect all the forwards to be players on the roster or in our pipeline and it looks like they still believe in UPL.  If they only add one D, this team won’t make the playoffs next year either unless Levi stands on his head and runs away with the Calder.

There was one answer from DG that was awful.  He basically said his players lacked confidence on the PK.  I wonder why?  Maybe the coaching of the PK sucked and maybe the goaltending also sucked.

I call *****. The youngest team in the league missed the playoffs by 1 win but you are saying that they won't improve next year. Seems highly unlikely and if they add the correct D, that could easily get you another win. Levi doesn't have to stand on his head, he has to be league average. I don't get your takes anymore, it just feels that like since Adams got here in a way you don't like, you'll continue to claim this team can't succeed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

So Dahlin, Power, Mule and Levi don't count. Do we need another top 4 D, yep. Do we need a 1A goalie, maybe. Come on though, give credit where credit is do. 91 pts. out of the youngest team in the league is pretty damn good. Lets not look for things to complain about it.

You realize Dahlin, Mule and Joki are all from the prior administration.  

This team competed for a playoff spot solely on the spectacular offense.  The defense and goaltending were worse for than last year and are over half a goal worse than 3 years ago.  Despite the 4th or 5th best offense in the NHL, the team still has a negative differential and allowed nearly 300 goals against.  

The goal of every NHL team is to compete for championships.  This team as currently constructed with only 3 good defenseman and a lack of goaltending is not in a position to compete for a championship.  If Levi is the next Ryan Miller that fixes part of the issue, but rolling forward with guys like UPL, Comrie, Bryson, Lyubushkin, Stillman, and Girgensons doesn’t fix the defense.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Levi level goaltending will be enough to get them in the playoffs if they run back the same roster.

I want to see some help brought in, especially on D (Graves/Dumba).

I would still like a guy like Varlamov signed as well but I don’t think KA wants to kick UPL/Comrie to the curb.

Developing a better PK system may require some work and discipline but a forward acquisition and a guy like Graves would really help. Better goaltending will also make a PK improvement.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You realize Dahlin, Mule and Joki are all from the prior administration.  

This team competed for a playoff spot solely on the spectacular offense.  The defense and goaltending were worse for than last year and are over half a goal worse than 3 years ago.  Despite the 4th or 5th best offense in the NHL, the team still has a negative differential and allowed nearly 300 goals against.  

The goal of every NHL team is to compete for championships.  This team as currently constructed with only 3 good defenseman and a lack of goaltending is not in a position to compete for a championship.  If Levi is the next Ryan Miller that fixes part of the issue, but rolling forward with guys like UPL, Comrie, Bryson, Lyubushkin, Stillman, and Girgensons doesn’t fix the defense.

I do. Why does it matter who brought them in? Bryson is horrible, granted. Bush and Still are fine as the bottom D pair. Do I wish we would of made the playoffs, as a STH, absolutely! It didn't happen and honestly I didn't expect it to. With that said, if you can't see the drastic improvement this organization has made this year you're trying not to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I call *****. The youngest team in the league missed the playoffs by 1 win but you are saying that they won't improve next year. Seems highly unlikely and if they add the correct D, that could easily get you another win. Levi doesn't have to stand on his head, he has to be league average. I don't get your takes anymore, it just feels that like since Adams got here in a way you don't like, you'll continue to claim this team can't succeed. 

I’ve never said that.  I said entering last year the offense was going to be excellent, but they needed to shave about 30 goals against off last year’s totals to get to a plus differential to make the playoffs.  I was correct. The goaltending this season was again subpar and the defense, especially if anyone in the top 3 was hurt, was trash.  

Now we head into next season with what will be the same forward group.  Even assuming that group will be equally productive next season, we are still going to have to get the GA down.  If you bring back basically the same groups in goal and on defense how much of a different result can you expect unless the one new variable, Levi, is excellent?  If Levi is just league average then we won’t be much improved, because he’ll be sharing the net with lousy players.  Might it help us sneak into the playoffs? Sure, but is sneaking into the playoffs the goal?

It seems to me that with our offense the goal should be to compete with Tor and TB for solid playoff position and a chance to win a round or two in the playoffs.  To reach that goal without other substantive changes on defense, Levi will have to be spectacular.

Don’t BS me and say you’ll be happy next season if they earn 95 points and slip into the playoffs with a WC. This offense is to good for that to be the goal.

I’ve never said that.  I said entering last year the offense was going to be excellent, but they needed to shave about 30 goals against off last year’s totals to get to a plus differential to make the playoffs.  I was correct. The goaltending this season was again subpar and the defense, especially if anyone in the top 3 was hurt, was trash.  

Now we head into next season with what will be the same forward group.  Even assuming that group will be equally productive next season, we are still going to have to get the GA down.  If you bring back basically the same groups in goal and on defense how much of a different result can you expect unless the one new variable, Levi, is excellent?  If Levi is just league average then we won’t be much improved, because he’ll be sharing the net with lousy players.  Might it help us sneak into the playoffs? Sure, but is sneaking into the playoffs the goal?

It seems to me that with our offense the goal should be to compete with Tor and TB for solid playoff position and a chance to win a round or two in the playoffs.  To reach that goal without other substantive changes on defense, Levi will have to be spectacular.

Don’t BS me and say you’ll be happy next season if they earn 95 points and slip into the playoffs with a WC. This offense is to good for that to be the goal.

I think Adams knows the defense isn't good enough and will fix it. Goaltending is a harder issue. 

I predict next year the Sabres finish above a wild card spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Adams knows the defense isn't good enough and will fix it. Goaltending is a harder issue. 

I predict next year the Sabres finish above a wild card spot. 

From his positive comments on UPL and Joki, I worry that he isn’t fully grasping the problems.  

We can’t forget that we aren’t the only improving team.  Det and Ott are also improving and Pitt and Wash won’t go away quietly.  

Ultimately I hope you are right and KA makes the right choices to fix the obvious issues. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From his positive comments on UPL and Joki, I worry that he isn’t fully grasping the problems.  

We can’t forget that we aren’t the only improving team.  Det and Ott are also improving and Pitt and Wash won’t go away quietly.  

Ultimately I hope you are right and KA makes the right choices to fix the obvious issues. These were the same issues we had last off-season and the choices he made didn’t solve the problems. 

I got the same feeling from his comments on Joki and UPL. They are young and could take a step but 4D is an important piece to add.

He said internal competition is great and drives improvement. Bringing in one or two 4-5 D will do that.

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Great post with lots of stuff to chew on.

I don't agree on UPL. This isn't specifically directed to you, but it seems to me that there is general agreement among people who know hockey, including Sabre fans, that goalies take longer to develop; yet, many Sabre fans are not prepared to apply that sentiment to UPL.  I see a young guy with a good base of goaltending skill, raw athletic ability and size who needs to improve in some areas and become more consistent.  Considering he has played his 46 NHL games in front of one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, I don't think his #'s are that terrible. Anyone who follows the NHL knows that outside of the league's best and most consistent goalies, it is common for a goalie's career to be up and down. UPL could easily rebound and be better next season. To discard UPL, unless something of real value is returning, would be a mistake.   

Regarding New Jersey's defence, it is certainly true that they went out and signed Hamilton as a UFA and traded for Marino, Graves and Seigenthaler.  It's also true that they did not have the base of young defencemen that we had in Dahlin, Joker, Sammuelsson and Power. Jersey didn't have any legit top-4 D-men in their pipeline (prior to drafting Hughes and Nemec) and they needed to address their top D pairings through free agency and trade. We simply didn't have the same need.  The oldest player in our top-4 D is Joker who turns 24 in June.  The youngest of New Jersey's top-4 is Seigenthaler who turns 26 in May.  I would have no issue with the Sabres making a move to upgrade any of our D from Joker's position on down (and I do actually think we will make at least one such move), but the fact that we didn't finish where New Jersey did this year, doesn't mean we won't get there. I would not straight up trade our top-4 D for Jersey's.        

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

With Kulich, Rousek, and Savoie knocking on the door, which veteran forwards can be brought back?  Who gets moved out if the Sabres bring in someone from the outside, like a JT Compher?  I don't think that we can just inject more youth into the line-up.  Assuming none of Girgensons, Hinostroza, Jost, Okposo, and Olofsson are brought back, the forwards look like:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Mittlestadt-Krebs-Greenway

Savoie-Kulich-Rousek

I don't like the idea of any of the rookies being a 13th forward if we add someone.  And I think this forward group is younger than this past season's.  I can't see anything obvious to do.

• dislike 1

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The only one of these teams I'm really worried about is Ottawa. This year was the beginning of the end for Pitt and Wash. At this point Wash is in limbo until Ovechkin beats Gretzky's record and retires. They need to tear it down. The same goes for Pitt. Neither team has anything in the way of prospects. 

Detroit tried to fill holes with UFAs and it clearly didn't work -- they also don't have the same level of prospects/young players as Buf or Ott. I will admit though that Yzerman is a great GM and they shouldn't be ignored.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The 4 consecutive super bowl years suggest otherwise.

Wait. What? 

Other than that not being the same because we didn’t win, those years were filled with extreme bitterness until eventually, years later, those teams were finally viewed with the fondness that retrospection often gives.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

With Kulich, Rousek, and Savoie knocking on the door, which veteran forwards can be brought back?  Who gets moved out if the Sabres bring in someone from the outside, like a JT Compher?  I don't think that we can just inject more youth into the line-up.  Assuming none of Girgensons, Hinostroza, Jost, Okposo, and Olofsson are brought back, the forwards look like:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Mittlestadt-Krebs-Greenway

Savoie-Kulich-Rousek

I don't like the idea of any of the rookies being a 13th forward if we add someone.  And I think this forward group is younger than this past season's.  I can't see anything obvious to do.

The “I don’t touch other players lineup” 

• Agree 2

Just now, SDS said:

Wait. What? 

Other than that not being the same because we didn’t win, those years were filled with extreme bitterness until eventually, years later, those teams were finally viewed with the fondness that retrospection often gives.

This is a great point.  It took until about 2005 before the enormity of that team's achievements started to get their due - both in and out of Buffalo Bills Fandom.  I can remember one radio guy who made a living playing to this bitterness for most of the 1990's.

4 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Great post with lots of stuff to chew on.

I don't agree on UPL. This isn't specifically directed to you, but it seems to me that there is general agreement among people who know hockey, including Sabre fans, that goalies take longer to develop; yet, many Sabre fans are not prepared to apply that sentiment to UPL.  I see a young guy with a good base of goaltending skill, raw athletic ability and size who needs to improve in some areas and become more consistent.  Considering he has played his 46 NHL games in front of one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, I don't think his #'s are that terrible. Anyone who follows the NHL knows that outside of the league's best and most consistent goalies, it is common for a goalie's career to be up and down. UPL could easily rebound and be better next season. To discard UPL, unless something of real value is returning, would be a mistake.   

Regarding New Jersey's defence, it is certainly true that they went out and signed Hamilton as a UFA and traded for Marino, Graves and Seigenthaler.  It's also true that they did not have the base of young defencemen that we had in Dahlin, Joker, Sammuelsson and Power. Jersey didn't have any legit top-4 D-men in their pipeline (prior to drafting Hughes and Nemec) and they needed to address their top D pairings through free agency and trade. We simply didn't have the same need.  The oldest player in our top-4 D is Joker who turns 24 in June.  The youngest of New Jersey's top-4 is Seigenthaler who turns 26 in May.  I would have no issue with the Sabres making a move to upgrade any of our D from Joker's position on down (and I do actually think we will make at least one such move), but the fact that we didn't finish where New Jersey did this year, doesn't mean we won't get there. I would not straight up trade our top-4 D for Jersey's.        

The problem with waiting for UPL to develop (if he ever does), is that the team can no longer afford mediocre to bad goaltending.  UPL's and Comrie's most lousy play cost us the playoffs this season.  We have one of the top 5 offenses in the league and didn't make the playoffs.  In fact, every team that scored over 270 goals made the playoffs except one.  The one is us and we actually finished 3rd in goals scored at 293.  Only Boston and Edmonton scored more.

Also part of the problem with UPL is that his numbers in the AHL and NHL are bad.  This is not Ullmark, whose numbers incrementally improved every year.  UPL's numbers aren't showing any real improvement.  Sometimes you just have to move on and I think this is one of those times.  

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sorry, but I see a bit of a contradiction here.  We increased our offensive output by 64 goals.  Much of that was from young players increasing production (Cozens, Thompson) or being added (Quinn, Peterka).  No question that a full season of Tuch made a difference.  Considering how young we are, why can't our defence, goaltending and overall team defensive play improve?

That said, I'm not convinced we won't make any changes on defence.  

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with waiting for UPL to develop (if he ever does), is that the team can no longer afford mediocre to bad goaltending.  UPL's and Comrie's most lousy play cost us the playoffs this season.  We have one of the top 5 offenses in the league and didn't make the playoffs.  In fact, every team that scored over 270 goals made the playoffs except one.  The one is us and we actually finished 3rd in goals scored at 293.  Only Boston and Edmonton scored more.

Also part of the problem with UPL is that his numbers in the AHL and NHL are bad.  This is not Ullmark, whose numbers incrementally improved every year.  UPL's numbers aren't showing any real improvement.  Sometimes you just have to move on and I think this is one of those times.  

I think this is fair.  I don't object to improving the team in any area and it is certainly the case that there are going to be goaltenders available who are, playing the odds, likely to be better than UPL next year.  I just don't agree that UPL should be dismissed outright as a bust.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.