the problem of being..........Kyle Okposo

Misanthrope

Kyle has been a good soldier, a hard worker, the captain, occasional game-changer, and a major contributor to the vibes.  At this point, however, on ice, he's standing in the way of players with greater future potential, and seems to be slowing down/has lost a step. 

If he wants to play another year, what would you do if you were Kevin Adams?

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Kyle has been a good soldier, a hard worker, the captain, occasional game-changer, and a major contributor to the vibes.  At this point, however, on ice, he's standing in the way of players with greater future potential, and seems to be slowing down/has lost a step. 

If he wants to play another year, what would you do if you were Kevin Adams?

Have to know when to move on from guys. That time is now for KO. Dahlin, Cozens, Tuch, Tage are all ready to step up and lead. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Have to know when to move on from guys. That time is now for KO. Dahlin, Cozens, Tuch, Tage are all ready to step up and lead. 

I would want GMKA to also add experienced players (in their prime) not already on our roster.  KO's production is only about half of last season and they both know this is a "business" where hard decisions have to be made vs. emotional ones.  KO should be treated with great respect and offered some non-player role in the organization as an option in case he ends up retiring.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I would want GMKA to also add experienced players (in their prime) not already on our roster.  KO's production is only about half of last season and they both know this is a "business" where hard decisions have to be made vs. emotional ones.  KO should be treated with great respect and offered some non-player role in the organization as an option in case he ends up retiring.

Yea, thanks, that distills the point.  KO's production is down, but he is unquestionably a major part of the mindset that has brought so many young players so far.  If he wants to come back and KA says no, as a player, does that kills the vibes?  Does making our young core understand that production outweigh leadership/effort result in a net negative?

• Agree 1

Girgensons is FAR and AWAY a weaker player than him and isn't the same leader. Get rid of him first. Without the Z baggage, I think KO could have a better season next year and still be needed in the lineup, especially if we want to focus on improving our 4 through 6 D.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4
  • dislike 1

The problem of being Kyle Okposo.

Let's see: multimillionaire; hot wife; seemingly great kids; very well liked by his co-workers; loved by many in his community; on the verge of retiring and moving to where he grew up at an age where he can easily enjoy another 50 years of a great life.

We should all be lucky enough to have these kinds of problems.  ;)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • dislike 1

25 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm ready to move on from both Girgensons and Okposo, time for an upgrade. 

Girgs first. Easily.

After we shore up the D, if there are realistic options to upgrade KO, then move him. Likely though I'd give him another year just because our guys in the system need another year, and you won't find a better veteran who'd sign for just 1 season.

9 forward jobs for next year are carved in stone - Skinner, TNT, Tuch, JJP, Cozens, Quinn, Greenway, Krebs, and Mitts.

Another 2 jobs are written in very dark pencil for Savoie and Jost.  That leaves just two slots for Rousek, Girgensons, KO, or any outside talent KA might bring in to shore up the PK and make us a more physical team.

KA said he won't be blocking any prospects and Rousek looks ready.  KO and Z are frequent PKers on the 5th worst PK in the NHL (73%).  Z has hands of stone and KO simply doesn't add offense like he use to.  Also, guys like Tuch, Cozens, Thompson, and Mitts are ready to assume leadership roles on this team.  It's time to take the training wheels off and move on from these vets.

I know this is a very difficult decision for KA, as Z and KO have mentored this young core back to respectability and it can be argued that they deserve better from the organization than being cast aside right when the team looks primed to make the playoffs.  Adding to the difficulty, KO is 17 games from 1000 in his career and Z is the longest-tenured Sabres and both players have yet to appear in a playoff game as a Sabre.  However, this is why GM's get paid big $ to make the hard decisions.  

Hopefully, KO takes this decision out of KA's hands and says he wants to go home to Minn to finish his career.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hopefully, KO takes this decision out of KA's hands and says he wants to go home to Minn to finish his career.  

Why would Minnesota want him?

imo if he's back here next year it'll mean KA failed in free agency. It'll be a little like re-signing Anderson was this year. It's time to turn the page. As mentioned elsewhere, everything Murray gone. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why would Minnesota want him?

imo if he's back here next year it'll mean KA failed in free agency. It'll be a little like re-signing Anderson was this year. It's time to turn the page. As mentioned elsewhere, everything Murray gone. 

Okposo isn't retiring prior to hitting his 1000th game

I doubt KA won't sign him, he's the captain of the team and beloved by the entire roster. Perhaps he only plays 25 games and retires akin to Perrault but I'd suspect he'll be here next year.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Contempt said:

here's the issue, without them you just eliminated about half the grit from the entire team.

More true than I like to admit.

They’re not the kind of grit I want. Girgs doesn’t hit much and does not get involved in scrums to defend anyone. He’s all hustle, like a Latvian Locomotive, but no hands and doesn’t create much.

KO has lost a step, his only play is trying to squeeze between the D and the boards where he ends up dumping it in or losing the battle. He is still big and strong enough to shield the puck but cannot get away from defenders.

KO wants to get involved and protect teammates but he knows he is one concussion away from more damage.

I like Kyle and he brings leadership and some intangibles but his on ice effectiveness just isn’t there. The only way I see a return is to try for 1000 games and fade away when others are ready.

I think some fans live in the past and want three Patrick Kaletas is on their 4th line.

I want a fourth line who can play tough minutes, play defensively, and contribute on the score sheet. And yes the occasional hard check is always welcome. But I would think every line an occasional hard check is welcome.

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

The problem of being Kyle Okposo.

Let's see: multimillionaire; hot wife; seemingly great kids; very well liked by his co-workers; loved by many in his community; on the verge of retiring and moving to where he grew up at an age where he can easily enjoy another 50 years of a great life.

We should all be lucky enough to have these kinds of problems.  😉

Has he indicated this was his last season?

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think some fans live in the past and want three Patrick Kaletas is on their 4th line.

I want a fourth line who can play tough minutes, play defensively, and contribute on the score sheet. And yes the occasional hard check is always welcome. But I would think every line an occasional hard check is welcome.

I'm not sure in this era that Kaleta is good enough to make the Rochester roster?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Contempt said:

here's the issue, without them you just eliminated about half the grit from the entire team.

Maybe 3/4 of the grit. And that ain’t saying much. Don’t get me wrong, love the direction they are headed in. Sign me a veteran goalie, d man, and some grit. We’ll be good to go.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

This is where I struggle.  We have been so starved as a fanbase of your traditional 4th line player, a physically imposing menace on the ice, that we want 10 of those players in the lineup.  Obviously, that’s not realistic, but it would go along way to add 2-3 role players that can be physical, play sound two way hockey, throw a few body checks and stick up for teammates.  Even if 2 are on the backend, that’ll work.  We have a bunch of vulnerable skill guys who aren’t timid but would play a lot bigger if they had someone on the ice with them to keep the opposition honest.  

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not sure in this era that Kaleta is good enough to make the Rochester roster?

He barely was when he retired. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

This is where I struggle.  We have been so starved as a fanbase of your traditional 4th line player, a physically imposing menace on the ice, that we want 10 of those players in the lineup.  Obviously, that’s not realistic, but it would go along way to add 2-3 role players that can be physical, play sound two way hockey, throw a few body checks and stick up for teammates.  Even if 2 are on the backend, that’ll work.  We have a bunch of vulnerable skill guys who aren’t timid but would play a lot bigger if they had someone on the ice with them to keep the opposition honest.  

He barely was when he retired. 

The appeal for Kaleta was more derived from him being a Buffalo area guy and a good guy. He didn't have much talent to draw from, but he always gave maximum effort. He was a lesser version of Rob Ray. Very often nostalgia clouds the reality. I believe that he works for the Sabres in community relations. Good for him. 

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Okposo isn't retiring prior to hitting his 1000th game

I doubt KA won't sign him, he's the captain of the team and beloved by the entire roster. Perhaps he only plays 25 games and retires akin to Perrault but I'd suspect he'll be here next year.

This is my thought process as well.  Bring him back to be the vet presence for one more year on a $2 million dollar contract.  Let him play about 30-45 games barring injuries to other forwards, and let him get his 1,000 NHL game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.