GDT: Senators @Sabres 4-13-2023 7pm MSG

spndnchz

2 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

their 3v3 is pretty unreal.  I don't know if it is just the games that I have watched, but whenever it goes to OT.. it just feels like it is inevitable that they will either score or maintain possession the whole time preventing the other team from scoring.  

*If* they win the faceoff.  Sometimes they lose and never touch the puck. 

They do seem to be getting at recovering the puck when the other team has it in the OT.  In OT possession is everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The way the season just shook out, if they had won either the FLA or NJD games, Friday vs CBJ wouid be a win-and-in game.  That close.

Yeah, this isn't a healthy road to go down. There are a lot of games over the course of a season that are frustrating in their result. Either a blown multi-goal lead, or a bad night against a bad team, or a missed call. There are way too many to go through enjoyably.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If somebody has direct contact with the Toronto war room… That’s who will give you your answer you are looking for. Otherwise your asking a question that can’t be answered accurately or with any satisfaction. But I think you know that.

Ray said in the broadcast that an email came out and it was determined it was not a distinct kicking motion.  That's the explanation from Toronto.

I'll call as much BS as I can about it.. but clearly the Sabres should practicing using their skates to put pucks in the net.  I would argue he was trying to kick it to his stick which would be a distinct kicking motion.

NHL wants more goals.. that's how you get more goals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nice to get the win so they could have the sweet send off for Anderson. That was a nice moment. 

(also happy Greenway did in fact give Tkachuk a little smack 🙂 )

and with that, the goat heads go back into the closet. 

Enjoy your retirement Craig. 

Actually the black jerseys are officially our 3rd jersey and will be back for the foreseeable future 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Oh are they back next year? I thought teams were changing 3rd jerseys every year - to sell more jerseys. But that's good if they are back every year. I love them. 

The White Goat heads were our Reverse Retros, our Black Goat heads were our official 3rd Jersey

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

Ray said in the broadcast that an email came out and it was determined it was not a distinct kicking motion.  That's the explanation from Toronto.

I'll call as much BS as I can about it.. but clearly the Sabres should practicing using their skates to put pucks in the net.  I would argue he was trying to kick it to his stick which would be a distinct kicking motion.

To be honest, I think they made correct call. I also think if it were our team that scored we'd have screamed to high heaven if it were reversed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Kudos to CM who keeps playing well even though people love to dump in him or of course the other favorite ripping boy VO who just so happened to net his 27th goal playing on the 4th line. Heck a few years back VO would easily be the leading goal scorer on the team then. Just shows the good depth we have at forward. Just need to add to the defense one good vet but he must fit KA's type of player, a strategy which apparently is working just fine it seems. 

So glad to see CA get the win...wonder if he really will retire? On with the future of Levi (who would have stopped at least one or two of Ottawa's goals)...

6 hours ago, LTS said:

Yeah. I think the NHL needs to revisit this and try to come up with a more uniform answer cause they have been all over the place with those calls. It's a crap shoot every time Toronto makes a call. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Yes. Like on the wing with Cozens and Quinn. It could well be a 70 goal line. 

Tough decisions are made when assembling line combinations. I still like Cozens in between Quinn and JJ. There's still a lot of growth potential on that line. When you move one player, you are also affecting how the other lines are pieced together. Granato has been very smart in putting together lines. I trust his judgment. I still believe that the most impactful line decision he made was to put Krebs in between Okposo and Girgs. It made Krebs an exponentially better player. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can someone explain how Claude’s goal wasn’t scored with a distinct kicking motion?

Using legal language: Arbitrary and capricious. The goal kick is like the check swing in baseball: It's whatever the umpire wants it to be. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Radar said:

To be honest, I think they made correct call. I also think if it were our team that scored we'd have screamed to high heaven if it were reversed.

I definitely don't agree.  I also like to think I am pretty impartial on those things but one doesn't know until one is in that moment. I'd like to find out though. 🙂

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

Yeah. I think the NHL needs to revisit this and try to come up with a more uniform answer cause they have been all over the place with those calls. It's a crap shoot every time Toronto makes a call. 

To me the rule can be simplified to remove "distinct kicking motion" and instead basically focus on the concept that any motion of the leg towards the net other than a regular skating stride will be considered no goal.

Both the Fasching goal and the Giroux goal would be disqualified at that point as they both used their legs to direct the puck at the net. It might not have been a "kick" but it was most certainly redirecting the puck with the leg in an effort to put the puck on net.

I'm awake this morning and still quite happy for Anderson. The guy has earned so much respect in the league and while it's sad that it comes to an end for him it's also awesome that he's had a 20 year career and can go out knowing that he did it the right way.

• Agree 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Those need to be with blue pants or go away.

Then you'll be happy to know they've gone away.  The RR is an NHL wide initiative.. one and done.  Although I like the white pants..  but to each their own.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Believe me, if a Sabre did it, the goal would be disallowed.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

Then you'll be happy to know they've gone away.  The RR is an NHL wide initiative.. one and done.  Although I like the white pants..  but to each their own.

I tried to like the white pants but couldn't. Some other team once tried white pants. They simply don't work. I had no problem with the jersey itself.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.