GDT: Senators @Sabres 4-13-2023 7pm MSG

spndnchz

Just now, Eleven said:

Has Adams spoken about him or is your last sentence just an assumption?  Because I think Adams should, if not would, consider offers for him.  (And again, this is probably best left to another thread--I don't want to screw up a winning GDT.  You can last word it if you want and we'll find a way to discuss another time.)

The GM was on WGR either yesterday or today. He specifically cited Mitts as a player the organization likes and who is committed to the team and being in Buffalo. My money is on Mitts getting an early deal like some of the other young core got. (I'm not talking about the size of the contract. I'm talking about getting him locked up sooner rather than later.) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Listen to Adams speak on Sabres Live today. Listen to Granato speak the other night.

Mitts isn’t going anywhere. If you are hoping for otherwise you will be disappointed.

His 60 points aside, he’s become a real glue guy on this team and I think that goes a long way with KA and DG. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I can't discredit that. The last month is what I have been expecting to see for quite awhile. Hopefully it finally clicked for him, like it did with Tage. 

I think he is another Sabres player on the rise.  Dahlin is tight with him because he says he is very competitive.  It’s possible that is helping Casey channel his competitiveness the right way.  The kid who couldn’t do a pull up is becoming a workout guy and he is getting stronger, smarter, and better.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, matter2003 said:

And he still had 9 points every month and nearly 60 on the season. His previous high was 25. More than doubled it this year.

What's your point?

My point is that continues to be quite a lot of inconsistency and yes, at the end of the year he got to nice totals, and he closed out the year very strong.  Neither of us know what he's going to do next season. Does the needle point up? Does he become more consistent or does he remain feast or famine? Does he become a player you want to lock up long term or not? I know which side of the fence you fall on right now, and you know which side of the fence I fall on. Nobody is saying anybody sucks, well maybe Bryson sucks, but apart from him.  It's about how you manage your assets. The Sabres have a lot of F depth in the system. Guys are going to need spots to play pretty soon. If Mittelstadt ISN'T someone they want to lock up for the long term then you have to have the conversation about what to do with him. Do you keep him next year because the kids, particularly Savoie, aren't really ready to take his spot and you want to bank on at least another 60 points and getting to the playoffs? OK, I can understand that. Next off-season starts his lame-duck year before RFA when a decision really needs to be made, to bridge to to go all-in.  If he plays more consistently next season, you probably try to lock him up, if he stays up and down maybe you don't, if he regresses then it gets easier to not re-sign but he's also diminished value at that point. 

I can wrap my head around any of those decisions. At the end of the day for me it comes back to needing another good, youngish, defenseman basically right now and what do we have to get that accomplished.  People have been kicking around Hanifan's name. OK, let's say Hanifan just for the sake of conversation, what does it take to get him? Olofsson isn't gonna get that done and I don't think Calgary is much interested in future picks right now.  Would they want Savoie as part of a deal? Maybe but I don't think I want to move him right now and Savoie is also part of the group that KA drafted himself so you'd expect is pretty invested in.  IMO, it's an easier sell to offer them a 60 point center with some sellable upside in that sort of a trade. Now, if the team feels like Mittelstadt is a core piece then that obviously won't happen and he'll get extended this summer. If he's not then, looking at the roster, he's a piece I'm more comfortable giving up then some others (that would get the trade done, Jost and Hino and whoever don't count for this discussion) and getting a piece at D is going to cost a piece. 6 months ago exactly nobody would have even suggested trading Mittelstadt for Hanifan without getting laughed off the board so, yes, he's played much better this season then past seasons.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

His 60 points aside, he’s become a real glue guy on this team and I think that goes a long way with KA and DG. 

No negativity intended, I've seen this said a couple times now and what causes you to say this?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The GM was on WGR either yesterday or today. He specifically cited Mitts as a player the organization likes and who is committed to the team and being in Buffalo. My money is on Mitts getting an early deal like some of the other young core got. (I'm not talking about the size of the contract. I'm talking about getting him locked up sooner rather than later.) 

Well, he does have another year on his current deal and the team may want to see if his breakout season can be repeated, but given their history with other players and how much they value his intangibles, I’m gonna predict a six year, $27m extension.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The interesting issue regarding Mitts isn't whether he is going to be with this team. Based on what the organization has said about him it is apparent that he is in their plans. The more intriguing issue is on what line does he play on. Does he stay with the first line with Tuch and Skinner where he currently thrives or does he play on a 2A or 2B line? And related to the Mitts issue is how does it influence the line Tage plays on? This team is starting to reach the critical mass of talent where there are a number of line options with a number of versatile players. It wasn't too long ago where due to a deficit of talent players were playing on higher lines and pairing that they were suited for. That's not the case now. 

5 minutes ago, Contempt said:

No negativity intended, I've seen this said a couple times now and what causes you to say this?

Various videos of him on the bench during games, various Inside the Blue and Gold features, interviews with teammates, and interviews with Granato and Adams over the last year. 

28 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Assuming Sabres beat Columbus tomorrow, they will end up missing the playoffs by ONE point. 1 point behind Florida due to that loss to the Panthers just last week. 

You could point to many more factors than just that one. 

For me, it’s the Fasching kicked in goal that was called no goal on the ice, and was inexplicably overturned by the refs. 

If the Sabres had won that game, and everything else played out the same, they have the final spot clinched right now, with one more game to go.

It is one thing for the Sabres to lose a game on their own. It’s a completely different animal to me when the refs have a giant hand in the outcome. 

Tie game, close battle, good contest, halfway through the 3rd, called no goal on ice - NO reason for the refs to interject themselves into helping decide that game there. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, he does have another year on his current deal and the team may want to see if his breakout season can be repeated, but given their history with other players and how much they value his intangibles, I’m gonna predict a six year, $27m extension.

I'm not sure about the length of the contract but I believe you are spot on with his annual average. 

With respect to the issue of breakout season and whether he can repeat it, I believe so. If he stays with a line composed of upper tier talent such as Tuch and Skinner, his numbers will follow. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The interesting issue regarding Mitts isn't whether he is going to be with this team. Based on what the organization has said about him it is apparent that he is in their plans. The more intriguing issue is on what line does he play on. Does he stay with the first line with Tuch and Skinner where he currently thrives or does he play on a 2A or 2B line? And related to the Mitts issue is how does it influence the line Tage plays on? This team is starting to reach the critical mass of talent where there are a number of line options with a number of versatile players. It wasn't too long ago where due to a deficit of talent players were playing on higher lines and pairing that they were suited for. That's not the case now. 

I don’t have the sense that Mitts is a permanent replacement for Tage on the top scoring line. My bigger question is will they keep him at center or play him at wing where his improvement was first realized. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t have the sense that Mitts is a permanent replacement for Tage on the top scoring line. My bigger question is will they keep him at center or play him at wing where his improvement was first realized. 

Given his preference to pass, and Tage's ability to shoot, I'd be interested to see him on the wing but I think he needs to be a center again next year. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My simple answer is: I don't know. In my view, if you want to maximize his talent/productivity, he should be on a line with shooters and finishers. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You could point to many more factors than just that one. 

For me, it’s the Fasching kicked in goal that was called no goal on the ice, and was inexplicably overturned by the refs. 

If the Sabres had won that game, and everything else played out the same, they have the final spot clinched right now, with one more game to go.

It is one thing for the Sabres to lose a game on their own. It’s a completely different animal to me when the refs have a giant hand in the outcome. 

Tie game, close battle, good contest, halfway through the 3rd, called no goal on ice - NO reason for the refs to interject themselves into helping decide that game there. 

One of our earlier losses against the lighting, we had a lead late in the third. Power got hacked down with the puck in the top of the slot, the easiest trip you'll see all year, and it wasn't called because the game was "being managed." We never touched the puck again, Tampa tied it up and won 

Was in Baldwinsville visiting the in- laws (hometown of #89) and got to watch the game on the ‘real’ MSG feed. If there was ever a night this year to not have the post game cut off by ESPN+, this was it. Lots of great stuff.  As an added bonus, I didn’t have to suffer through the New Amsterdam Vodka commercials 20 (or more) times. Not exaggerating.
Separately, if this was KO’s last home game with the Sabres, it got no play on the broadcast (missed the first period). Interesting.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Wondering what is going on with TNT.  He was on the bench talking to a staff member, got up and kicked the board violently and then stormed off into the locker room before OT started.  He was clearly pi$$ed about something.  His last shift in the third period he had multiple collisions with Ottawa players...none of them looked too bad though....Hmmmm?!?!

Looked to me like he was wincing in pain after falling after he scored that goal. Hope it's nothing serious that we know nothing about, like Marfans.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The way the season just shook out, if they had won either the FLA or NJD games, Friday vs CBJ wouid be a win-and-in game.  That close.

Will just make this team that much hungrier for a good playoff run next year…

• Like (+1) 2

Make no mistake, next season this team will be playoff bound.

Hey, Kevyn Adams, you have 6 months to put the remaining pieces necessary in place. Donny Granato, you have 6 months to improve the special teams, instill disciplined creativity in the players. And to the players, you have 6 months to hone your bodies and your skills in to an efficient NHL 60 minute hockey game dominate machine.

I'll do my part as a die hard fan and show up at the arena with a booming Let's Go Buffalo. You all do your parts, because come October, all I want to hear from top to bottom in this organization is a resounding "Let's Roll".

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Make no mistake, next season this team will be playoff bound.

Hey, Kevyn Adams, you have 6 months to put the remaining pieces necessary in place. Donny Granato, you have 6 months to improve the special teams, instill disciplined creativity in the players. And to the players, you have 6 months to hone your bodies and your skills in to an efficient NHL 60 minute hockey game dominate machine.

I'll do my part as a die hard fan and show up at the arena with a booming Let's Go Buffalo. You all do your parts, because come October, all I want to hear from top to bottom in this organization is a resounding "Let's Roll".

Don’t fool yourself. KA and DG will both have the entire next season to improve the roster and improve the record to get into the playoffs. Nothing less than a full season. Not six months from today. IF KA fails to give DG the soldiers to make the playoffs, then come next off season, he’ll most likely be gone. If KA gives DG the soldiers in the next 6-8 months and DG fails to get them into  the playoffs, then DG will most likely be gone after the season. At least that’s how I see it playing out.

Overall, I think KA is a little more on the hot seat this summer than DG will be next season. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can someone explain how Claude’s goal wasn’t scored with a distinct kicking motion?

If somebody has direct contact with the Toronto war room… That’s who will give you your answer you are looking for. Otherwise your asking a question that can’t be answered accurately or with any satisfaction. But I think you know that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.