Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

So barring an unexpected trade, the majority of the 23-man roster is already set:

• 10 forwards: Tage, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens, Mitts, Okposo, Greenway, Krebs, Quinn, Peterka
  • 5 defencemen: Dahlin, Power, Mule, Jokiharju, Boosh

I think it's pretty likely Levi is one of the goalies and Stillman is pencilled in as a 6/7 defenceman, although that could change depending on who gets moved or brought in.

To me, there are 6 players in limbo: Olofsson, Girgensons, Jost, Bryson, Comrie, UPL.

I have a feeling Joker will be traded once they get a true #4

21 minutes ago, Hank said:

Of course you would, because it's not enough. 

You mean way too much 

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I have a feeling Joker will be traded once they get a true #4

That would be a major mistake IMO.

The team needs better than Stillman or Lyubushkin to elevate when injuries inevitably strike.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I didn’t see a scenario with Clague (or Hinostroza) being part of a healthy 23-man starting roster. That doesn’t preclude re-signing him as a depth guy though.

IF they only bring in 1 outside D-man AND they go with the recently "traditional" 13F-8D, could see him grabbing that 8D spot ahead of Bryson.  (Nobody is claiming Bryson when he gets waived.  Clague will get less money and probably clears too, but he's a better D-man IMHO and would have a higher likelihood of getting claimed (small as that likelihood might be).)  But if they bring in a 4 and a 6, yeah he drops to Ra-cha-cha or if they decide to go with 14F's likewise.  

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This was a discussion not a rumour but it shows that the Bruins are jammed up this summer.

I would love to see this. Creates a solid and young 1-2 with Levi (let them compete to be #1) and degrades the B’s. 

Trade VO and UPL for picks to replenish the lost picks with the offer sheet (At least somewhat), sign Graves or Mayfield, and we’re set for this season.

• Like (+1) 1

Well with the re-signing of Z and KO, the off-season mantra is “status quo” at least up front.  The Sabres have 12 forwards under contract, but VO is on the trading block.  

In theory KA could actually apply the status quo to the remainder of the roster as well.  He has 7 D and 3 G under contract.  

With 22 players under contract (cap cost of approx 69 million), there is just one potential roster spot open unless some players get traded or waived.  

The roster still has some dead weight.  Bryson, VO, Stillman, Comrie and UPL all need to be upgraded.  I acknowledge that Stillman is probably staying, but one can hope.  I’d also make Joki available in the right deal.

A top 4 D and a good goalie to pair with Levi are the reported priorities.  I still think there is some drama to be had upfront once VO is traded.  That is where Krebs and Mitts play.  If Mitts centers the 3rd line, Krebs centers the 4th line and Mitts’ needs a winger.  If Krebs centers the 3rd line, Mitts shifts to wing and KA needs to find a 4th line center.  

Not much has changed so far.

I am more than a little concerned that they brought back Z and Okposo, they're not the problem but they're also not the best option going forward imo. I like the guys but an upgrade was needed there. 

I would have liked to see atleast 1 upgrade in each position group at the bare minimum. 

A veteran, playoff tested F, a grizzly, playoff tested top 4 D and a reasonably good option at G, if not a true #1. 

Someone's gotta go to make that happen.

There's going to be atleast one surprise move imo.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Not much has changed so far.

I am more than a little concerned that they brought back Z and Okposo, they're not the problem but they're also not the best option going forward imo. I like the guys but an upgrade was needed there. 

I would have liked to see atleast 1 upgrade in each position group at the bare minimum. 

A veteran, playoff tested F, a grizzly, playoff tested top 4 D and a reasonably good option at G, if not a true #1. 

Someone's gotta go to make that happen.

There's going to be atleast one surprise move imo.

I hope so.

KA is too smart to have fallen in love with his players, but until we see a big move or two, he is giving off that vibe.

GMs don’t want to tip their hands and show much emotion, especially as the silly season is firing up. I can’t believe that he feels that the three headed goalie is the way to go.

On 6/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, Marvin said:

For those who are dying to get him back: I was just on a Minnesota Wild site.  Marcus Foligno is a potential cap casualty from the Parise and Super buyouts.

I'd love him back, but he's not a great matchup for the bottom six right now.  Especially if KA re-signs Jost.  Where do you play him?  If he's cheap; sure.  I'm just not sure there's a concrete spot with Girgensons and Okposo re-signed.  

56 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I hope so.

KA is too smart to have fallen in love with his players, but until we see a big move or two, he is giving off that vibe.

GMs don’t want to tip their hands and show much emotion, especially as the silly season is firing up. I can’t believe that he feels that the three headed goalie is the way to go.

I agree. It's his turn to show growth and maturity. 

It's a pivotal time in the build, imo he can't afford to ***** it up. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Well with the re-signing of Z and KO, the off-season mantra is “status quo” at least up front.  The Sabres have 12 forwards under contract, but VO is on the trading block.  

Considering the rumor that GMKA is currently negotiating with Jost's camp, I think the current mantra is to keep the forward group intact until the trade deadline. At that point, they'll know the weaknesses of the forward group, what (if any) Rochester players are now full-time NHL roster players, and the Sabres can adjust the roster accordingly. Based on last season, there's no reason to believe this forward group isn't capable of being in a playoff spot come March. I suspect any adjustments to the forward group will be in the bottom 6 as well (barring injury). Bottom 6 additions are the types of trades which are usually pretty easy at the deadline assuming you have the appropriate cap space (which Buffalo should). If Buffalo had a glaring need at present in the Top 6, waiting until the deadline would be stupid, but I don't think we do.

I think that's GMKA's approach and, assuming it is, I'm comfortable with it. I care that we upgrade the defense first and foremost and every indication we have from every "insider" is that GMKA is trying to do exactly that. While I'd like to see the goalie situation improved, I'm starting to think we won't see a change. If the goaltending situation is a train wreck next season and no changes are made this offseason, I'll officially jump off the GMKA train. Not that I think he cares though.

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

[...]

Would you rather add a veteran forward in the offseason or add a true top 4D and a second 4/5D? That's my preference. Goalie aside (we're in agreement there, but I don't see it happening), I think I'd rather leave the forward group alone until the deadline and add at least one veteran with playoff experience bottom six on an expiring contract based on whatever role the Sabres need filled. I guess my assumption is this team already has the forward group to be in playoff contention come March and, considering the age of the group, I'd rather wait to plug holes when we have more data available from the first 2/3rds of the season.

I don't see much of an upgrade over Z if we're strictly looking at him as a 4th line defensive forward. In the thread about his contract, I even joked it saved us the trouble of trading for him at the deadline. He is a genuinely solid defensive forward and good at that role--plenty of stats nerds support this. KO is the one who has lost a step and I see being replaced at the deadline. I honestly think he's going to go on LTIR at some point this season if/when his speed becomes an issue. I don't really have any concerns about Z next season. I have concerns about KO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.