Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And Bryson. Don’t forget Bryson.

I didn’t walk away with the same reading you did.

To me, it reinforced my take that it’s not about the concept, it’s about the individual players.

Nice bit of work by the author.

Of course I’m using it. It’s a perfect example of how “doing something” isn’t what you pretend it is.

If you posted “the Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in a decade” I wouldn’t have argued.

Instead you posted that they have done nothing for three years running, which is a lie and you should get called on it.

Umm the response was about a goalie btw.

31 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Bryson is not good as a LHD.

He may have volunteered to play RHD to remain on the team.

It was tongue-in-cheek.

The article reported Bryson was the other guy Donnie would use off-hand, even when he was playing with Ras.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Eichel trade happened in season but yes, there's no evidence at all that Adams sits around during the offseason. 

This week is going to be interesting. 

Tim Chevelsummersoff in Winnipeg over here 

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

When you're married and see bills for nails for 150$ and countless stuff from Amazon ..yeah I'm grumpy 

But happy wife happy life 

Are you the actual Red? 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

And Bryson. Don’t forget Bryson.

I didn’t walk away with the same reading you did.

To me, it reinforced my take that it’s not about the concept, it’s about the individual players.

Nice bit of work by the author.

Of course I’m using it. It’s a perfect example of how “doing something” isn’t what you pretend it is.

If you posted “the Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in a decade” I wouldn’t have argued.

Instead you posted that they have done nothing for three years running, which is a lie and you should get called on it.

But it’s much more common to find success on your strong hand, players much more often play their strong hand, and the Sabres mostly played guys on their strong hand. I didn’t need to “come away” with anything I just read the conclusion listed in the article itself “the idea the Sabres don’t care about handedness is wrong”. what the board told me: that Adams didn’t care about handedness. That was wrong. The position wasn’t that “most can’t do it and we focus very much so on handedness but there are some exceptions”, it was “Adams doesn’t care about it”.

It needs to be walked back. Adams/the team ADHERES to handedness the vast lion‘s share of the time unless it’s a notable exception. Notable because it’s almost only Dahlin doing it. Bryson is the other but much smaller amount and overall, the charts don’t lie 

Edited by Thorny

On 5/3/2023 at 10:28 AM, dudacek said:

From this morning. Nearly an hour and worth an off-season listen.

Among other things, Adams talks about:

• why the sabres don't hit
  • what he's going to do to to cut the goals against
  • and how he doesn't really give a rat's ass about the handedness of his defencemen

He manages to talk around a lot of things, but it's pretty relaxed and reading between the lines it gives you a pretty good insight on where they are on a lot of topics.

Gave me the sense they believe most of the pieces are already here and they will take the steps to address the ones that aren't because they expect to be good.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Yes, Adams does give a rats ass about it 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I seem to recall Adams saying he wasn’t terribly concerned with handedness, but the data certainly suggests that was GM speak.

Well, after Adams adds Hannifin, pretty sure they're going to have a guy playing on his off hand about 45 minutes per game.  😉

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

But it’s much more common to find success on your strong hand, players much more often play their strong hand, and the Sabres mostly played guys on their strong hand. I didn’t need to “come away” with anything I just read the conclusion listed in the article itself “the idea the Sabres don’t care about handedness is wrong”. what the board told me: that Adams didn’t care about handedness. That was wrong. The position wasn’t that “most can’t do it and we focus very much so on handedness but there are some exceptions”, it was “Adams doesn’t care about it”.

It needs to be walked back. Adams/the team ADHERES to handedness the vast lion‘s share of the time unless it’s a notable exception. Notable because it’s almost only Dahlin doing it. Bryson is the other but much smaller amount and overall, the charts don’t lie 

It wasn’t the board that told me what Kevyn Adams thinks about handedness.

It was Kevyn Adams in a video I watched where a reporter asked him about it.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

It wasn’t the board that told me what Kevyn Adams thinks about handedness.

It was Kevyn Adams in a video I watched where a reporter asked him about it.

If the idea you came away with was that he “didn’t give a rats ass about handedness”, you came away with an incorrect takeaway. The numbers speak for themselves. I honestly cannot believe this is still going.

That many on the board have taken that influential idea of yours and run with it, was something I wanted to correct, cause it’s wrong. I’m not saying the board told YOU, I’m saying the board told ME

Edited by Thorny

On 4/13/2023 at 8:38 AM, Crusader1969 said:

I feel this thread can be closed since the perfect scenario has been laid out above  

its well thought out and reasonable 

Maybe it’s Jost vs Compher? otherwise it’s a perfect offseason if this can the fruition 

2 months later and I still think @Randall Flagghit a grand slam here. 

the next week will tell us how good his prognostication really was 

I think he gets 2 or 3 of his additions to be exact.  Heck, there is a chance he gets all 4 correct 

Trying to get into the spirit of this thing with my picture-perfect, almost vaguely realistic off-season:

• Trade Victor Olofsson, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and the 45th pick in the draft to the Ducks for John Gibson and pick 59.
  • Trade JJ Peterka to Canes for Brett Pesce. Pesce signs a 5-year $32-million extension.
  • Trade pick 13 to the Wings for pick 17 and pick 43.
  • Trade pick 59 and 43 to the Bruins for Trent Frederic
  • Draft defencemen Dimitri Simashev and Martin Strbak with picks 17 and 39.
  • Sign Johnathan Toews to a 1-year $4 million deal.

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Mittelstadt Cozens Greenway

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

Rousek and Stillman would be the extras with Johnson and Kulich likely the first call-ups.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Trying to get into the spirit of this thing with my picture-perfect, almost vaguely realistic off-season:

• Trade Victor Olofsson, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and the 45th pick in the draft to the Ducks for John Gibson and pick 59.
  • Trade JJ Peterka to Canes for Brett Pesce. Pesce signs a 5-year $32-million extension.

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

Rousek and Stillman would be the extras with Johnson and Kulich likely the first call-ups.

I would not get Gibson without a lot of backing documentation about how he can and why he should rebound.

• Agree 1

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

You lost me at trading JJPeterka

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

Interesting maneuvers. However, hard no on trading JJ and acquiring Toews. The Chicago veteran and stalwart player has accumulated a lot of battering and is fading as a player. At this stage in his career he just isn't worth the contract you proposed. On the Gibson acquisition I'm not overly enthused. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

I hate losing JJ but if kevyn wheels and deals like this to make sure the streak is over I'm not gonna complain.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Start the season with:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Frederic Toews Quinn

Girgensons Krebs Okposo

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Pesce

Lyubushkin Jokiharju

Levi/Gibson

I will not stand for my boy JJ being in any trade proposal.   I have to give you a thumbs down for even thinking it  

• Thanks (+1) 1

What level do people expect JJ to settle into over his NHL career?

Rick Martin? Thomas Vanek? Max Afinogenov? Clarke McArthur? Paul Cyr?

Nothing in his career so far rules any of them out.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I hate losing JJ but if kevyn wheels and deals like this to make sure the streak is over I'm not gonna complain.

I think he made the forward group a lot worse with that trade proposal.  
the streak will be over, even if they came back with the same group from last year. 
BUT he’s not going to do that.  The D wil have a significant addition that won’t cost JJP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

What level do people expect JJ to settle into over his NHL career?

Rick Martin? Thomas Vanek? Max Afinogenov? Clarke McArthur? Paul Cyr?

He will be a player whom you will kick yourself if you trade him away.   Game breaker , star  and a fan favorite for years to come 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

He will be a player whom you will kick yourself if you trade him away.   Game breaker , star  and a fan favorite for years to come 

So Martin? Why do you think so?

Would you substitute Quinn, Kulich or Savoie for that deal?

Do you see all them reaching Vanek levels?

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

What I think will happen -

Draft Willander RD - Just reading between the lines of Formenton/Adams interview few days ago.  
Or they use the pick to trade for karlsson 🙂

UFA goalie Raanta/Andersson or Gibson trade.

No way on Karlsson.  He is more of the same type of D and gets a lot of points on the power play.  Would you really want to bench Dahlin or Power from the PP?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.