Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

On 1/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, Thorny said:

As far as I know Dahlin is the only defender they’ve done that w/, with any consistency, though, unless I’m mistaken. They’ve paid an eye to handedness when possible, but I don’t think it would prevent them from playing, say, Johnson there if he was better than the next guy, to your point. 

Dahlin playing his offhand on the top pair is still rather a unicorn, it’s just not something you see very often at all - once Power becomes the player he’s going to be I could see it going either way- we might see a bit of off-hand drop off once there’s further to fall, whereas he’s at a more moderate level now. Or perhaps he’ll be like Dahlin where can maintain elite play on either side with no noticeable alteration in production and output. 

3 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I was going to post this in the "biggest stride" thread but thought it too off-topic. @mjd1001, @kas23 and @North Buffalo all picked (well NB commented on mjd's statement but is getting tagged regardless). Anyway, this is what I was going to say:

I think we've learned that Mitts can't carry a line and needs supporting talent surrounding him. I picked Power for the breakout because I expect him to have a D compliment that will open the door for him to take the next step. I'd like to see Mitts have a breakout as well, but I'm struggling to see how with the lines for next season. If he has the talent to compliment his own, he can play up to their level as he demonstrated at the end of the season when he was bumped to the first line due to injuries. If he's put on the line with a one-dimensional player like VO again, I see him having issues.

That's not a knock against Mitts. If anything, it's a knock against the Org if they don't give him enough support next season to fully utilize him. Frankly, right now, I don't know who that support will be. I realize this is going off-topic, but it's got me thinking now.

We have the following forwards under contract: 

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - JJP
??? - Mitts - ???
Z - Krebs - KO - Greenway

Jost hasn't been given a QO and, while I believe GMKA when he says they've been negotiating, he still isn't signed. VO is likely to be traded per "insiders" and he was a healthy scratch at the end of the season. If he's on the third line with Mitts again at the start of the season, we're basically screwed so this whole thought exercise is moot.

In Rochester, we have Rousek, Kulich, Rosen, and Weissbach who are the most likely to hit the roster out of camp. Kulich is a more talented VO right now and needs time in the AHL to develop his defensive game (I recognize this is just my opinion) and Rosen needs more time in the gym before he should see the big time. Rousek is probably talented enough to give a look at a Top 9 role in the NHL as is Weissbach. Weissbach plays a bit more of a physical game despite his stature. They're both lefties as is Mitts (and Kulich and Rosen and Greenway...). Savoie is a righty.

So maybe the plan is for Savoie to start the season and get his 10-game look? In which case, you need to put a physical compliment with him (Greenway?) because, while I acknowledge Mitts was more of a 'pest' last season, Mitts is not a physical player. Savoie got pushed around in the AHL playoffs last season and he's the similar type of finesse playmaker that Mitts is. I don't know if that makes sense putting them together. Especially in the context of putting Savoie on the wing where he's going to get pushed off the puck along the boards.

Kulich has the finishing ability (no doubting that) but would his defensive play be a liability with Mitts? Would it be a repeat of VO and Mitts?

Greenway plays dump-and-chase hockey and is hesitant to shoot the puck (seriously, look at his shots-per-60). Can Granato change that? Currently it doesn't seem like the kind of player who you want sitting with Kulich/Mitts or Savoie/Mitts... or just Mitts.  

Rousek is a relatively complete player as is Weissbach. Do you just throw caution to the wind and try two untested AHLers with Mitts and hope they have the talent to play at the NHL level on a triple-lefty line? 

The other option is splitting up Quinn - Cozens - JJP and moving one of Quinn or JJP to play with Mitts. Maybe they put Savoie in for JJP? Don't know.

Weird that we have 12 forwards under contract for next season, but I have no clue what our third line is going to look like.

Ideas people?

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Mitts Cozens Quinn 

Peterka Krebs Greenway

Girgensons Jost Okposo

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Mitts Cozens Quinn 

Peterka Krebs Greenway

Girgensons Jost Okposo

Potential. 

my problem with Casey is he’s not a scorer. His shot isn’t especially accurate or powerful. Plus I would like to see Kulich make the team. Possibly Rosen. 

Casey could center a line with a scorer or two and his speed and decent forecheck could come in handy. He’s a decent passer.

Love pairing Quinn and Cozens. big future there imo. Also like your 3rd line a lot. Could do some real damage. 

42 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't understand how some of you are ok to run it back with the same forward group 

Because the forward group had 4 players 22 or younger and still scored the 3rd most goals.

Edited by LGR4GM
4* forwards
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalonill said:

I always love the response "I didn't realize the season started yet"

And it's been the same thing 3 years running 

We are still the worst team in the league like 3 years ago, or still a 75 point team like last year?

I want better goalies too man but you are being stupid 

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

We are still the worst team in the league like 3 years ago, or still a 75 point team like last year?

I want better goalies too man but you are being stupid 

It's been a decade and you always get that response "didn't realize the season started yet"

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Return if traded: It’s reasonable to forecast the Flames receiving a first- and second-round pick in return for Hanifin, provided he agreed to sign an extension with the team acquiring his rights.

Welp we know that's never going to happen buffalo loves keeping those lottery tickets. 

This going to end up like Cam Fowler 2.0 where buffalo didn't want to give up that first pick years back 

51 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I always love the response "I didn't realize the season started yet"

And it's been the same thing 3 years running 

3 years ago they made one of the biggest moves of the off-season in acquiring Taylor Hall. They also added “proven veterans” Eric Staal and Cody Eakin.

2 years ago they made the biggest move of the off-season with the Eichel trade. They also traded core guys in Reinhart and Ristolainen.

As usual, you’re making things up again.

Edited by dudacek

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

3 years ago they made one of the biggest moves of the off-season in acquiring Taylor Hall. They also added “proven veterans” Eric Staal and Cody Eakin.

2 years ago they made the biggest move of the off-season with the Eichel trade. They also traded core guys in Reinhart and Ristolainen.

Eichel trade happened in season but yes, there's no evidence at all that Adams sits around during the offseason. 

This week is going to be interesting. 

58 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This going to end up like Cam Fowler 2.0 where buffalo didn't want to give up that first pick years back 

What do you get out of coming on here everyday and saying everything sucks with the Sabres? I just don’t get it at all. Does it boost your self esteem somehow? Is it a coping mechanism? 

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Really we're using this ? The same team that said we're going to win the cup with hall.

It was probably the most embarrassing thing the sabres have ever  Shown the public .

And how am I lying it has been a decade have we made the playoffs? no

You can be a Kool-Aid drinker but I'm not going to be

Edited by Buffalonill

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Add Lance to the growing list of those expecting a run back in net. 

There just aren’t any good options! 4 years now! Who’d have thought. Ah well, what can you do. 

It's an interesting read.  Thanks for posting it.  Some thoughts:

1.  He presumes Comrie would clear waivers.  I'm not so sure.

2.  He also presumes Subban is going to leave, and again, I'm not so sure.

3.  He completely ignores Saros as a trade option.

4.  He has Savoie on the 23-man roster, but on the bench.  I don't think that's going to happen.  If he stays, he plays.

5.  I like his proposal of Hanifin as a back-up option for Pesce if a Pesce deal isn't there.

6.  Speaking of which, his proposal is Brett Murray, Olofsson, and 2024 1st for Pesce.  I think it's pretty close to the mark.  

7.  He seems to think that the price for Carter Hart in a trade would be similar to the price for Hellebyuck, and I think he's out of his mind.  (And Hart doesn't move me anyway.)

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What do you get out of coming on here everyday and saying everything sucks with the Sabres? I just don’t get it at all. Does it boost your self esteem somehow? Is it a coping mechanism? 

When you're married and see bills for nails for 150$ and countless stuff from Amazon ..yeah I'm grumpy 

But happy wife happy life 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Really we're using this ? The same team that said we're going to win the cup with hall.

It was probably the most embarrassing thing the sabres have ever  Shown the public .

“We sign this guy, we’re no only trying to make the playoffs, we’re trying to win the cup” were the exact words that Pegula used. 

By all accounts Terry has stepped back over the past few seasons and allowed Adams and Co to build the team. 

Adams also mentioned in His Press Conference that the Sabres are now in the position to make moves that wouldn’t have made sense a year or two ago. That signals a change in philosophy. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Return if traded: It’s reasonable to forecast the Flames receiving a first- and second-round pick in return for Hanifin, provided he agreed to sign an extension with the team acquiring his rights.

Welp we know that's never going to happen buffalo loves keeping those lottery tickets. 

The GM was willing to trade a first round pick for Chyrun last year. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

“We sign this guy, we’re no only trying to make the playoffs, we’re trying to win the cup” were the exact words that Pegula used. 

By all accounts Terry has stepped back over the past few seasons and allowed Adams and Co to build the team. 

Adams also mentioned in His Press Conference that the Sabres are now in the position to make moves that wouldn’t have made sense a year or two ago. That signals a change in philosophy. 

And where did we finish?.

I need results first before I believe anything this organization says 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The GM was willing to trade a first round pick for Chyrun last year. 

I didn't see anything about this .

Did Adams say that 

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Here’s the money shot for how Adams feels about handedness

308F5A3D-FD8E-4C2A-97D8-DAEED02B7A08.thumb.png.1102000e5ed9aad63a5f58693da8662b.png

it’s a “Dahlin is a unicorn” thing, not a “we don’t care about handedness” thing.

Its about Dahlin 

And Bryson. Don’t forget Bryson.

I didn’t walk away with the same reading you did.

To me, it reinforced my take that it’s not about the concept, it’s about the individual players.

Nice bit of work by the author.

40 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And how am I lying it has been a decade have we made the playoffs? no

Of course I’m using it. It’s a perfect example of how “doing something” isn’t what you pretend it is.

If you posted “the Sabres haven’t made the playoffs in a decade” I wouldn’t have argued.

Instead you posted that they have done nothing for three years running, which is a lie and you should get called on it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And Bryson. Don’t forget Bryson.

I didn’t walk away with the same reading you did.

To me, it reinforced my take that it’s not about the concept, it’s about the individual players.

Nice bit of work by the author.

Bryson is not good as a LHD.

He may have volunteered to play RHD to remain on the team.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.