GDT: Sabres @ Devils - April 11, 2023, 7pm, MSG πŸ“Ί WGR πŸ“»

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Then get an AirBnBΒ 

The "Cleaning Fee" in NY/NJ area is always insane. $75 for a bedroom comes out to like $225 per night after taxes, cleaning fees. Hotels are cheaper.Β 

I have some unfortunate medical debt at the moment, nothing crazy, but enough to be annoying. I get paid on Q1 this month which is good, but we have some vacations and stuff planned as well. Plus I just bought a new snowboard, boots, and bindings 2 weeks ago since it was end of season. So it isn't a matter of "can" it is a matter of "should" I drop an extra couple hundred bucks on a ticket and a hotel today.Β 

Edited by Mango

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

The "Cleaning Fee" in NY/NJ area is always insane. $75 for a bedroom comes out to like $225 per night after taxes, cleaning fees. Hotels are cheaper.Β 

I have some unfortunate medical debt at the moment, nothing crazy, but enough to be annoying. I get paid on Q1 this month which is good, but we have some vacations and stuff planned as well. Plus I just bought a new snowboard, boots, and bindings 2 weeks ago since it was end of season. So it isn't a matter of "can" it is a matter of "should" I drop an extra couple hundred bucks on a ticket and a hotel today.Β 

Yes, the AirBNB is pricing itself out.Β  My daughter was complaining about prices, as was my son, and just recently my wife and I opted for a Hilton over an AirBNB in Buffalo (Elmwood Village) for a week in the end of May.Β  Β Lower cost, triple points, easy parking, towels on request, and a much better bed - we went with a Hilton Suite.Β  We can drive to Elmwood in 10 minutes.Β Β 

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, the AirBNB is pricing itself out.Β  My daughter was complaining about prices, as was my son, and just recently my wife and I opted for a Hilton over an AirBNB in Buffalo (Elmwood Village) for a week in the end of May.Β  Β Lower cost, triple points, easy parking, towels on request, and a much better bed - we went with a Hilton Suite.Β  We can drive to Elmwood in 10 minutes.Β Β 

We did the Marriott suite-style thing recently when we were in the Philly suburbs, and those are so much more convenient than some AirBnBs. Just just leave in the morning and you're not going to get dinged on stupid stuff. Still doing a VRBO in Boulder in June since the hotels there are insane.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Listening to Granato on WGR this morning, I get the impression the net is Levi’s if he wants it tonightΒ 

My impression as well.Β 

Also for those of you who wonder about DG ability to switch from development to winning, he spoke very seriously about how they are trying to win and no one is getting development time right now. This was in regards partially to Levi getting time and DG basically said he is in there because he wins. He also talked about how in March the team mentally slipped and it was the coaches responsibility to help them fix that. Talked about how the team focused on what they were bad at instead of what they did well. It resulted in them focusing on the stuff they didn't do well instead of playing in ways that helped them succeed. One Don's more interesting and illuminating interviews.Β 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is (obviously) the toughest of the remaining 3 games. Don't know if they can pull it off, but they definitely have a chance and they will fight to the end especially if Levi "chooses" to play tonight.

Β 

Am expecting we see them continue to play physical like they have the past 2 games. It's amazing how when you have a goalie you trust, you're more willing to throw a hard check and possibly get out of position than when you have a goalie that you don't trust.

Β 

Get the W and make Thursday's game the new "biggest game of the last decade."

Β 

Β 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

He said basically the same thing in his postgame presser... with some weasel words (mentioned fatigue, etc.)

Donny said given situation (end of year, playoff hunt /CAN YOU BELIEVE WE ARE STILL IN IT April 11th !!!! / that the players an empty the tank (no not THAT tank!).

Pumpkin Pie GIF by Bill Miller Bar-B-Q
Β 

LFG Levi & the boys!!!!

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My impression as well.Β 

Also for those of you who wonder about DG ability to switch from development to winning, he spoke very seriously about how they are trying to win and no one is getting development time right now. This was in regards partially to Levi getting time and DG basically said he is in there because he wins. He also talked about how in March the team mentally slipped and it was the coaches responsibility to help them fix that. Talked about how the team focused on what they were bad at instead of what they did well. It resulted in them focusing on the stuff they didn't do well instead of playing in ways that helped them succeed. One Don's more interesting and illuminating interviews.Β 

Not surprising, because he started saying that about 4 weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My impression as well.Β 

I've said this before, but I am struck by how transferable Granato's coaching insight is to life situations in general. He's that sort of fella and I think it's really good moving forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My impression as well.Β 

Β 

For anyone like me wondering if they could listen to this:Β https://www.audacy.com/podcast/the-jeremy-white-show-9b4b9/episodes/don-granato-sabres-staying-alive-in-the-playoff-race-bd269

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not surprising, because he started saying that about 4 weeks ago.

Think he spoke about winning as a priority in his post game comments after the Sabres snapped their March four game losing streak… Better late than never…

Getting Greenway and Stillman, sitting Olafsson, signing and playing Levi all contributing factors… Timing is everything and we are still in it… Perhaps The Fates at work… Β 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Former teammate of Power’s. Owen will show him what a complete Dman does.

Β With all the success that's going on with all the players I truly believe power is overlooked .

He had an outstanding rookie season in my eyes did not even look like a rookie.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My impression as well.Β 

Must admit, I was skeptical on his ability to flip off the "development" switch and flip on the "win now" switch - which must mean better team defense.Β  Β 

Granato has been an impressive coach.Β  He should get some votes for coach of the year, although this year there are many good candidates.Β Β 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I've said this before, but I am struck by how transferable Granato's coaching insight is to life situations in general. He's that sort of fella and I think it's really good moving forward.

True for all the best coaches.Β  Β Even in youth leagues, minors, etc.Β Β 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Β With all the success that's going on with all the players I truly believe power is overlooked .

He had an outstanding rookie season in my eyes did not even look like a rookie.

Β 

Rookie Rasmus Dahlin 5-on-5: 59.6% Corsi, 57.4% OZ starts, 21 points, -13, ES ice time 18:09

Rookie Owen Power 5-on-5: 52.2% Corsi, 56.3% OZ starts, 24 points, +11, ES ice time 20:42

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Granato has been an impressive coach.Β  He should get some votes for coach of the year, although this year there are many good candidates.Β Β 

I think his shot at Coach of the Year increases as the Sabres playoff chances increase.

• Agree 1

Attached is a WGR link that has a 20 min segment with Don Granato. In this link, he talks about the psychology of young players and what they go through in the developmental process. He also talks about the different stages within the long season and how he has to be aware of it when making decisions about playing players when hurt during the season. He had an interesting segment on the ability to handle failure, especially for young players. He talked about Mitts and Power.

Coach Granato is the right coach for this team. His emphasis and forte is on the psychology of the players rather than it is on schemes. KA has made a lot of right decisions during his tenure as a GM. Hiring Granato was probably his most consequential. Good hockey talk.Β 

Β 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think his shot at Coach of the Year increases as the Sabres playoff chances increase.

No chance. It will likely be Boston’s coach over New Jersey which overachieved, and a top team from the west.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.