Kevyn Adams Q&A with STH Holders

Brawndo

Love to see they are trying to lock up Power this Summer and bring Östlund over. 

Good to hear about the Russians. Neuchev and Novikov are both unsigned after April 30th. 

I would bring Novikov to Rochester and see if a CHL Team would take Neuchev in the import draft and give Him a year in juniors 

• Like (+1) 6

If they’re giving term in FA or acquiring a player with term it has to be for a player reaching their prime years

This is disappointing as it seems to eliminate someone like Orlov.  They seem to believe in vets like Anderson and KO but for reasons unknown won’t get a veteran leader for the defense.  

I hope this does mean that players still in their prime are still on the table, guys like Saros or Demko who are 27.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

If this team doesn't acquire some real veteran leadership, specifically on defence, they're spinning their wheels.

What's encouraging is that KA did make a serious offer to acquire Chycrun. That's a clear indication that he wants to address that unit. What that failed transaction tells us is that he willing to expend assets to upgrade that unit. Is he willing to take the same action for the goalie position? I'm not sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

His constant emphasis on "3-5 years down the line" and being careful not to jeopardize this is so bizarre. 

There is an ocean of middle ground between "right now matters" and "sign four 32 year old free agents to 5+ year deals as well as trading away half the (massive, far too large to keep a bunch of them in the organization into their prime years) prospect pool for the same type of guy"

It would take outlandish general-managing, stuff you just don't see in the real world, to make the 2023 summer "dangeous" to the "future"

Tell me next year matters Kevyn. You might get a new STHer. Tell me it's playoffs or bust, and you will make the obvious moves to ensure that happens. 

Meh, nothing bizarre about it at all. The bold and his "very calculated" are speaking to the same thing.

He's just saying he's not going to be acquiring Bo Horvats. There are only so many long-term high-salary slots on the salary cap chart, and those are being allocated to  the Thompsons, Cozens and Dahlins, with space reserved for eventually adding the Quinns and the Powers and the Levis.

It's not new, it's not difficult to understand and it doesn't preclude him from making the team better now.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Love to see they are trying to lock up Power this Summer and bring Östlund over. 

Good to hear about the Russians. Neuchev and Novikov are both unsigned after April 30th. 

I would bring Novikov to Rochester and see if a CHL Team would take Neuchev in the import draft and give Him a year in juniors 

Would love to see Östlund with Kulich. Also think that Novikov would thrive in Rochester considering he just did a full KHL season at 19. Really would be fun to see him on in NA and get a better feel for him. 

Neuchev is interesting. I would almost lean towards the AHL for him as well simply because he did the KHL this year and from what I know of his story, the Russian Jr. league is easy for him at this point. He put up 6pts in 3 playoff games when he got returned to that league. Idk, I suppose Canadian Jrs is a level above that to be sure but I still wonder if he really needs to be challenged if he will grow his game and the AHL might afford more of a challenge for him. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

His constant emphasis on "3-5 years down the line" and being careful not to jeopardize this is so bizarre. 

There is an ocean of middle ground between "right now matters" and "sign four 32 year old free agents to 5+ year deals as well as trading away half the (massive, far too large to keep a bunch of them in the organization into their prime years) prospect pool for the same type of guy"

It would take outlandish general-managing, stuff you just don't see in the real world, to make the 2023 summer "dangeous" to the "future"

Tell me next year matters Kevyn. You might get a new STHer. Tell me it's playoffs or bust, and you will make the obvious moves to ensure that happens. 

Agreed. You can't project 3-5 years from now that well so if you see signs your team can make the jump, you owe it to them to do things that can help you now, not 3-5 years from now when you think they will be ready. If this team isn't consciously setting the bar at playoffs next season we have a problem. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is disappointing as it seems to eliminate someone like Orlov.  They seem to believe in vets like Anderson and KO but for reasons unknown won’t get a veteran leader for the defense.  

I hope this does mean that players still in their prime are still on the table, guys like Saros or Demko who are 27.  

I think they are more interested in a guy like Hanifan than a guy like Orlov. I could also see them going for a guy similar to Teppo or James Patrick. Orlov is going to get at least 5 years. They want a guy willing to take a two year deal which is actually the same as Anderson and Kyle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Meh, nothing bizarre about it at all. The bold and his "very calculated" are speaking to the same thing.

He's just saying he's not going to be acquiring Bo Horvats. There are only so many long-term high-salary slots on the salary cap chart, and those are being allocated to  the Thompsons, Cozens and Dahlins, with space reserved for eventually adding the Quinns and the Powers and the Levis.

It's not new, it's not difficult to understand and it doesn't preclude him from making the team better now.

His first two seasons were full of the same language, and he was happy to let holes be filled by unproven young guys learning on the job. We head into next year and he's never said anything different, and in this blurb of summary points (which i acknowledge would not represent EVERYTHING kevyn said) he is continuing to talk about the next wave of those players, emphasizing them as the focus or next order of business. He has had the same response about adding vets for 3 years and has Tuch (unique situation) and Lybushkin to show for it. The rate at which Kevyn has added *meaning* to our roster through three offseasons and TDLs is incredibly slow and he has given no inclination it will speed up, but we need it to speed up to the tune of 4, maybe 5 roster spots including goal

ie his "very caluclated" is actually a mile from where I would like him to be based on his history. And his immediate, emphatic pushback at the slightest suggestion of acceleration, coupled with his and Donny's comments at the TDL about our competition, have me annoyed and impatient

I need him to tell me that a switch has been flipped, not hear the same thing I heard when Ruotsalainen was hot after the losing streak in 2021

The franchise is knocking at a brand new door. Talk like it 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

His first two seasons were full of the same language, and he was happy to let holes be filled by unproven young guys learning on the job. We head into next year and he's never said anything different, and in this blurb of summary points (which i acknowledge would not represent EVERYTHING kevyn said) he is continuing to talk about the next wave of those players, emphasizing them as the focus or next order of business. He has had the same response about adding vets for 3 years and has Tuch (unique situation) and Lybushkin to show for it. The rate at which Kevyn has added *meaning* to our roster through three offseasons and TDLs is incredibly slow and he has given no inclination it will speed up, but we need it to speed up to the tune of 4, maybe 5 roster spots including goal

ie his "very caluclated" is actually a mile from where I would like him to be based on his history. And his immediate, emphatic pushback at the slightest suggestion of acceleration, coupled with his and Donny's comments at the TDL about our competition, have me annoyed and impatient

I need him to tell me that a switch has been flipped, not hear the same thing I heard when Ruotsalainen was hot after the losing streak in 2021

It is a symptom of ownership’s low/non-existent expectations.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Saying it another way, I think there is a spectrum of focusing solely on the future, to going all-in today. I don't think Kevyn is saying the same thing as me, I think that I want him to be at the center point of "next season matters, a LOT, and we also cannot meaningfully dent our prospect pool with a realistically good offseason, so go have one"

But he's way to the left and cautioning as if going that far to the right is the same thing as going far to the right of the center point, and throwing it all away. Nothing about how he handled this current season, or speaks about next season, relative to how he spoke this year, tells me he's where he should he on the spectrum 

Next year is as critical a year for the Sabres as it is for the Bills

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

We get it. He has a plan, you don't like it.

You don't see the improvement of the past two years as being meaningful enough, and you don't see it continuing without a course correction.

He says patience, you say ***** off, I want it now.

Nothing new here.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.