GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

46 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Why do I feel like a bad father for sending my kids to the Rangers game on Saturday? I feel like I am ushering them to the slaughterhouse.

I seen what you did there.

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Has anyone ever seen an uninjured goalie replaced with 10 minutes left in the game?

It was 5-3 with just over 10 minutes left.

Maybe it was "cruel" to Comrie. It also would have been cruel to the backup to put him there.

And at 7-3? Come on.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

It is interesting that this is how the team has responded to Adams emotional declaration of faith last Friday:

• an inspired win over Tampa
  • a well-played tight loss to Edmonton where they got goalied.
  • a frustrating 1-goal loss where they seem to be tight and struggled with adversity
  • tonight where they completely fell apart

It's funny, I more or less felt like Tuesday blew our chances. After being able to shake off adversity more often than not, they played tonight like they agreed

I sure hope they didn’t feel out of it because they had to make up about 3 points in ~16 games. That’s way, way too soon to throw in the towel. I hope it’s more the fatigue thing tbh

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I sure hope they didn’t feel out of it because they had to make up about 3 points in ~16 games. That’s way, way too soon to throw in the towel. I hope it’s more the fatigue thing tbh

One place had given them a 6% chance of the playoffs prior to this game.

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

Those odds change very quick still at this stage, if you reel off even 2-3 wins. It’s just a number - very liable to change with this much ground left to cover. I know it wasn’t *likely* but the reality of the situation is, with no team in a better spot sitting in between, record wise (I’m counting the pens as 7th) they came in to today 6 points back of islanders with 3 games in hand. It’s not being optimistic to grant them 3 points for those 3, we’ve earned at a better than .500 pace this year. Being stingy, they were about 3 points back with, after “accounting for those games”, 16 more left to play. 

Would you honesty be ok with the players, knowing they are 3 points back with 16 to play, caring more about some websites 6% number? 

we said we are trying to build a perennial cup contender.  That’s what adams said. It’s defies the limits of believability to suggest we wouldn’t need enough grit to overcome significantly more adversity while trying to accomplish something like that, than making up 1.5 worth of games over *20 percent* of a season 

they didn’t give up. That would be absurd 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And at 7-3? Come on.

I'm not sure what you're arguing?

That Comrie should have been pulled with 10 minutes left when it was 7-3?

Because he would have been less embarrassed? And/or because the team would have been more embarrassed?

To be clear, I don't really care that he did or he didn't. I was just curious if anyone had seen it happen that late in the game. It probably has, I just don't remember it.

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Probably the Athletic which sets their model up to go off the past 3 seasons rather than just the current one or a shorter timeframe to determine a baseline for a particular team.  Considering the Sabres were hot death 2 years ago and much more fun but still not good over the full 82 last year, kind of surprised they even have the Sabres chances as being that good.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Would you honesty be ok with the players, knowing they are 3 points back with 16 to play, caring more about some websites 6% number? 

i think it's more like they were too emotionally invested in the Islanders game and too emotionally immature to put it past them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

i think it's more like they were too emotionally invested in the Islanders game and too emotionally immature to put it past them.

Which is why Saturday could actually see them end this 3 game losing streak.  Would expect it far more than a repeat of tonight.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I can buy this.

hell, it broke the emotional psyche  of the board 

considering and granting youthful naivety. assuming it’s one factor at play in combination with fatigue. And players liked Dahlin and who else playing banged up

and bad goaltending

cant forget bad goaltending 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Wow, I'm sorry I missed this one.  

Did Dallas just score again?  

We have been arguing about the D, but how bad was Comrie?  

Well, I guess we can relax now and just see what happens.  Maybe the kids can get it together for the home stretch. 

At this point might as well play UPL most nights and find out if we have anything there.    

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/19/2023 at 1:34 AM, Thorny said:

*ignore all the other crap*

I should add as an addendum: I think the aspect of the remaining schedule most likely to present the stiffest challenge is the compressed nature of it: competition isn’t a concern for me at all, but sometimes you see teams that have games in hand struggle in attempting to bank those points in part because, the fact they are making up so many games results in an overloaded schedule. If anything fatigue works against them: being the youngest team in league should aid on that front. 

I kinda buy KO when he says the tired thing cause we could kinda see it coming 

Though, it appears even the youth are feeling it 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wow, I'm sorry I missed this one.  

Did Dallas just score again?  

We have been arguing about the D, but how bad was Comrie?  

Well, I guess we can relax now and just see what happens.  Maybe the kids can get it together for the home stretch. 

At this point might as well play UPL most nights and find out if we have anything there.    

We just better finish above .500. Yeesh. Watching for that and hopefully Dahlin’s Norris (nomination) pace getting back on track 

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing?

That Comrie should have been pulled with 10 minutes left when it was 7-3?

Because he would have been less embarrassed? And/or because the team would have been more embarrassed?

To be clear, I don't really care that he did or he didn't. I was just curious if anyone had seen it happen that late in the game. It probably has, I just don't remember it.

I’ve never seen a 10 score game with one goalie in for the whole game.  10 minutes, 7 minutes, what is the difference, the guy was shell shocked and had no confidence.   

The time to pull him was the fourth goal.  To wake the dam team up hopefully.   

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’ve never seen a 10 score game with one goalie in for the whole game.  10 minutes, 7 minutes, what is the difference, the guy was shell shocked and had no confidence.   

yeah i thought he shouldve been pulled after the 1st period. But if not the 4th goal surely the 5th. I dont really understand why you'd leave him in.

I'm no expert but it was hard to watch

Edited by In The Buff
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe Comrie will demand a trade? It only took 9 goals for Roy 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, In The Buff said:

yeah i thought he shouldve been pulled after the 1st period. But if not the 4th goal surely the 5th. I dont really understand why you'd leave him in.

I'm no expert but it was hard to watch

4:52 mark and on to the end. Apparently Granato thinks you can't pull your goalie in the 3rd period.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

4:52 mark and on to the end. Apparently Granato thinks you can't pull your goalie in the 3rd period.

Well it's not as if it would fix anything

My guess is that Greenway's goal doomed Comrie. Granato would of swapped goalies between periods to help get a boost but chose not to when Greenway scored late.

It was an ugly game all around; seems like a combination of stress, fatigue, and injuries are taking their toll on the young team. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

What is sad is the regression is so bad, it will take much work in the offseason to even consider us a possibility of getting to the playoffs next year. 

Hate to say it, but I think heads have to roll; that blowout in Boston, and this game wipe out any good will that management knows what it is doing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.