GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He is honest.   Lack of depth, and three rookies, and several sophomores that never played this much hockey ever, and it is at the NHL level.  

They looked exhausted tonight from the start  

Owen Power has been incredible considering his revolving door of partners and the huge minutes he plays. 

I also think a few guys are playing injured. 

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The apology should be from the coach.  Never seen that before, have you. Leave a guy in for 10 goals.  

If Meatballs hadn't lost the room, he definitely is walking the tightrope with that move. 

• Agree 3

These guys played like they knew their season was over after the Islanders loss

That's a problem - the season was not over, and still isn't. I thought this is what guys like Okie, and what coaching staffs, are for. 

For about the 60th time this season, our goalie didn't lose us the game, but you'd also hope for 2 or 3 more saves and wonder what it's like to allow less than 3 goals the way some teams can

Since the all star break our goals-against has been: 7, 5, 3, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4, 5, 7, 3, 3, 3, 10

You cannot win games getting the level of defense and goaltending that spits out those numbers. There is no reason to expect even a decent team to win more than 4 or 5 of those 14 games based on those numbers.

I really like Samuelsson - I think that he has had one, and only one, shot towards the net this year that has resulted in a goal or something close to it. He takes shots at the weirdest times, when the defending team is exhausted, someone is open closer to the net, and they kill the shift. This is just an observation from one shift earlier in this game. Dude will be a good player for us for a long time.

"What trade could have been made that would fix something like this?" 

This is easy - for 13 months we have known the issues with this team, as well as the bright spots. Our defense corps is constructed in a way that, to have a good shot to win, we need to play Dahlin like it's game 7 every single night, and when he's out, we have to do the same thing with a 20 year old. It's not that one deadline trade could fix this, it's that a derelict roster slowly deteriorated enough that a straw finally broke the camel's back. I'm sorry I keep saying this, but no, it doesn't have to be like this, and no, taking measures to mitigate it at any point in the last 13 months would not have harmed the future in any material way. Playing in meaningful games and winning them does not harm our future, you don't need to trade away the farm to do this. It would not be a bad thing to share, rather than own, the playoff drought record. It would not be a bad thing to get our teeth kicked in THIS playoffs as opposed to punting and hoping maybe that can happen next year

When you use goals-saved-above-expected (a flawed number, sure, yadddah yaddah i don't think i need to qualify this but i will, and yes it gives a fuller, fairer picture of a goalie's performance than regular goalie stats) you see what any reasonable person would have predicted - Anderson is pretty good when used sparingly but we cannot lean on him, he is 10th in this stat for goalies who have at least 12 starts. UPL is 46th and Comrie is 60th. There are 32 teams. Making your kids go through nights like tonight is not a requirement to "preserve the future" and is more harmful to that future than what any fan has been begging for during the relevant trade periods

If goalies like Saros do actually move around this summer, and aren't wearing the crest in October, the arena needs to be burned down. The plan cannot be to sit around and wait for Levi to be ready. Ullmark's first elite season came what, 8 years after he was drafted? 9? 

Kevyn and Don have done a lot of good things, they've brought this franchise back into the NHL. There are distinctly different skills they need to employ to keep it from slipping back again, skills we haven't seen from them yet. They have been great developers of talent. Can they coach a system that has a prayer this time of year? Can they add what needs to be added to the parts of the roster that need it? I wish I was more confident. 

@tom webster, I believe you when you said last year that Kevyn was looking for a partner for Power. He had an offseason and a TDL. I know he was in on Chychrun, I don't blame him for that in particular necessarily. Can he do this? Can he get what he needs? Can he find a goalie? Is he gonna try? 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.