Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His forechecking and physical play along the boards has been the fuel of this development, but as we have seen lately, he is also now comfortable creating as a top line center.  

Mitts in an interview confirmed pretty much what I wrote above after the Canes game.  He went on to say that moving to the wing gave him a better perspective on what he needed to do as a center.  I think it gave him a better feel of where wingers were to receive passes and where the center needed to be to support the forecheck.  

He is playing with so much more confidence.  It's also much easier to score goals when you can find open areas on the ice to receive passes from your linemates.  

Did the SO goal put to rest any questions about his hands?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Casey has been one of our 2 or 3 best players over the season's final month.

I think we're seeing a preview of Playoff Mitts.

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's also much easier to score goals when you can find open areas on the ice to receive passes from your linemates.

I meant to comment last night that, upon looking at the replay and focusing on Casey rather than Tuch, he did a very good job of finding the "quiet spot" in front of the net.  That's a goal scorer's move.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Mitts has a place on my team going forward. I would like to see a line of Savoie - Mitts - Rousek in camp. 

Olofsson sadly does not. 

Krebs... still undecided. 

The rubber is going to meet the road with all of these guys (well maybe not VO as he might be jettisoned due to poor fit purposes) when their contracts are up.  Then your depth from smart drafting pays off.  Pay Mitts $5 mill (maybe $6?) as a bottom six depth scorer or replace him with a young player on an entry level contract.  Good problems to have for sure. 

3 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

Yes.

He went from trying to get by on natural talent (to the point where he maybe almost fell out of the league) to loving the grind.  

You see it in other aspects of life - maturity, a lightbulb turns on and someone realizes the amount of hard work it will take to achieve sustained success, and becomes willing to put in that work.  You’ve got to love the grind to be great in most professions.  Casey does and it shows, now.

He was a boy among men his first 3 seasons and no doubt had a lot of conflicting coaching during that timeframe.  His injury last season didn't help his growth.  Casey has shown me that sometimes we can't accurately predict how a player develops.  His $2.5M hit next season will most likely be a steal.  I for one am not sure if GMKA should give him the new contract during the summer or wait out his last year.  It's a tough call and could be good or bad in both scenarios.

Casey does need to improve his shooting, FOs and general growth as a 2-way player.  Next season could be the most important in his career and I look forward to seeing how he plays.

• Like (+1) 2

Center position might have some interesting competition next season.

Mitts, Tage, Cozens, Krebs, Jost (is he signed for next season?)

Would like at least one of those names stand out as a face off guy and a shutdown guy. We are missing that aspect.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Mitts has a place on my team going forward. I would like to see a line of Savoie - Mitts - Rousek in camp. 

Olofsson sadly does not. 

I'm more optimistic on Krebs developing into a good player. He's still so young and inexperienced. It took Mitts and Tage some time to become more physically developed and to gain enough experience to build on. Now we are seeing the fruits of that development. 

When the coach moved Krebs to the Okposo/Girgs line, I was baffled by it. It just seemed like an odd fit. But it was an astute move by the coach. Playing with these wise vets it forced Krebs to simplify his game and play a tighter and grittier game. I don't see Krebs as a first or second line player. But I do see him playing on a good third line and being a contributor. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm more optimistic on Krebs developing into a good player. He's still so young and inexperienced. It took Mitts and Tage some time to become more physically developed and to gain enough experience to build on. Now we are seeing the fruits of that development. 

When the coach moved Krebs to the Okposo/Girgs line, I was baffled by it. It just seemed like an odd fit. But it was an astute move by the coach. Playing with these wise vets it forced Krebs to simplify his game and play a tighter and grittier game. I don't see Krebs as a first or second line player. But I do see him playing on a good third line and being a contributor. 

I would give him more time to get stronger and gain more experience. Even if he ends up staying on the 4th line, he could be that 4C for a long time. He adds more offense than Larsson, Girgs, Sheahan, Eakin etc… 

I would like him to become the faceoff guru, that would add to his value.

He may improve enough to be a solid 3C.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Rookie Krebs pictured himself as an offensive playmaker and played that way.

2nd-year Krebs bought into the argument that if he wanted to be an important part of this team he would have to contribute in other ways.

3rd and 4th year Krebs will show whether he can grow one or both elements of his game at the NHL level and contribute more than he does now.

Like most players, we’ll have a good idea what he is after 200-300 games.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Jost is a RFA this offseason.

A good a place as any to ask the question to the board, what are the terms that make sense if GMKA wants Jost back?

Would it be a repeat of his last 2-year $4M total contract?  My untrained hockey eye sees him playing very hard to end the season.  I think he has a place on the team for another 2 years.  Of course, he like so many other Sabres, is weak on FOs.  He is getting some decent PK time, not sure how his play is there.  With KO and Girgs maybe both leaving (I am leaning on Grigs getting another 2 year) it's leaving a hole on the PK.  I do like his hustle and tenacity.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

A good a place as any to ask the question to the board, what are the terms that make sense if GMKA wants Jost back?

Would it be a repeat of his last 2-year $4M total contract?  My untrained hockey eye sees him playing very hard to end the season.  I think he has a place on the team for another 2 years.  Of course, he like so many other Sabres, is weak on FOs.  He is getting some decent PK time, not sure how his play is there.  With KO and Girgs maybe both leaving (I am leaning on Grigs getting another 2 year) it's leaving a hole on the PK.  I do like his hustle and tenacity.

He seems to like the Sabres and provides good energy. He was put on waivers and this team salvaged his career.

I think he is useful as a bottom 6 forward until Savoie, Kulich, Rousek, Östlund put him back on waivers. If he is willing to be the 13F on this team, he can prolong his stay.

I would offer him a slight raise 2 X $2.2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

He seems to like the Sabres and provides good energy. He was put on waivers and this team salvaged his career.

I think he is useful as a bottom 6 forward until Savoie, Kulich, Rousek, Östlund put him back on waivers. If he is willing to be the 13F on this team, he can prolong his stay.

I would offer him a slight raise 2 X $2.2.

Thank you for your reply.  That is pretty much what I think should be done with him.  Personally think it can be done without the raise but that's insignificant.

37 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Jost is a useful bottom-sixer: he works hard, is versatile and reasonably responsible, and has more skill than most bottom-sixers. 

I wonder if he is strong enough in any specialty areas to keep around once Quinn, Krebs and Peterka fully come in to their own? He’s kind of a Jack of all trades, master of none. Given the high skill level they Sabres have up front, and pushing from the farm, they may prefer a more one-dimensional player with grit, or faceoff or PK, or shutdown ability on the 4th line. He seems to have lost his spot on the PK.

His versatility makes him a perfect fit to me as next year’s 13th forward, but he could go the way of Hinostroza.

I’d offer him a one-year deal for no more than he makes now, or 2 years at a pay cut, and see what happens. I like him, and he seems like a good guy, just not real sure he will have a role beyond next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jost is a useful bottom-sixer: he works hard, is versatile and reasonably responsible, and has more skill than most bottom-sixers. 

I wonder if he is strong enough in any specialty areas to keep around once Quinn, Krebs and Peterka fully come in to their own? He’s kind of a Jack of all trades, master of none. Given the high skill level they Sabres have up front, and pushing from the farm, they may prefer a more one-dimensional player with grit, or faceoff or PK, or shutdown ability on the 4th line. He seems to have lost his spot on the PK.

His versatility makes him a perfect fit to me as next year’s 13th forward, but he could go the way of Hinostroza.

I’d offer him a one-year deal for no more than he makes now, or 2 years at a pay cut, and see what happens. I like him, and he seems like a good guy, just not real sure he will have a role beyond next year.

Would offer him a 2 year deal at pretty much his current deal with the understanding that he needs to beat somebody out to be more than Hinostroza (13th F) and will have to fight off Rousek at a minimum to maintain that status.

IMHO He brings more to the table than Hinostroza does (realize that's arguable, but his age definitely fits in better with what they're doing than Vinnie does) and him getting ~$2MM/ year to be the 13th F doesn't cause cap issues until that deal would be ending.  He's a good fit in any of the bottom 6 slots and can play PK in a pinch.

Pretty sure his offer is going to come at the end of one of those "hard conversations" that Adams talks aout having to have with some of the guys.  If he wants to be a part of this, he has to realize it's as a spare part unless he can elevate some portion of his game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Mitts finished the season with 15 goals and 44 assists.

That was good for 24th in scoring for NHL left wings, just behind Killorn, Boldy and Dubois, just ahead of Perron, Kreider and Laine. 

By definition, there are 96 1st-line forwards in the NHL. By production, Casey was a borderline 1st-liner.

7E3B3542-B3A4-408D-951D-853C72A90450.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Mitts finished the season with 15 goals and 44 assists.

That was good for 24th in scoring for NHL left wings, just behind Killorn, Boldy and Dubois, just ahead of Perron, Kreider and Laine. 

By definition, there are 96 1st-line forwards in the NHL. By production, Casey was a borderline 1st-liner.

7E3B3542-B3A4-408D-951D-853C72A90450.jpeg

Good news if you have that production on the second line, not so good if you have that production on the first line.

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of production by a Sabre, Casey’s 59 points are the 14th most of the past decade. His 44 assists are the 5th most during that period, more than Eichel had in 7 of his 8 NHL seasons.

For comparison, Sam Reinhart’s most productive Sabre seasons were 50, 50 and 65 points; Ryan O’Reilly’s were 61, 60 and 55; Evander Kane’s 35, 43 and 40.

@Weave used to talk about how, if the Sabres ever got good, Reinhart could be their Patrick Sharp: a versatile 5/6th forward capable of moving around the lineup as situations demand.

Sharp became that player for the Hawks in his mid-20s.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=54873

I wonder if (Hope?) we just saw Mitts take a similar step.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In terms of production by a Sabre, Casey’s 59 points are the 14th most of the past decade. His 44 assists are the 5th most during that period, more than Eichel had in 7 of his 8 NHL seasons.

For comparison, Sam Reinhart’s most productive Sabre seasons were 50, 50 and 65 points; Ryan O’Reilly’s were 61, 60 and 55; Evander Kane’s 35, 43 and 40.

@Weave used to talk about how, if the Sabres ever got good, Reinhart could be their Patrick Sharp: a versatile 5/6th forward capable of moving around the lineup as situations demand.

Sharp became that player for the Hawks in his mid-20s.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=54873

I wonder if (Hope?) we just saw Mitts take a similar step.

Good comparison. Sharp was sometimes 2C, sometimes 1RW, sometimes 3LW and an important special teams guy.

If KA and DG want 3 lines that can score then you need guys like this.

• Agree 3

On 4/9/2023 at 1:21 AM, SDS said:

Shoot me in the face if Krebs is one of our best pure passers. He passes because the only thing he does worse than passing is shooting. 

If Middlestat stays, Krebs will NOT be on the Roster

No way 2 of Rousek, Savoie or Kulich are NOT on the Roster and I bet all three are.

If you keep Girgenson maybe even Middlestat doesn't stay, Gonna get rid of Jost, GREENWAY?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, SDS said:

I will consider him to be an objectively marginal hockey player up until the point he isn’t. Given his pedigree and expectations, I am fairly certain the spot he holds on this roster is not on top of the passer list, but on top of the most disappointing player’s list. 

Wasn't sure what you were saying on previous post.

Yes, Krebs failed this year. He was on third line did terrible. Placed on fourth line so Vets may get him better. Didn't work but a couple games. Krebs is too slow for NHL. Probably a great AHLer. Maybe it is cause he is thinking too much.

With all the young guys in Rochester, I would rather see them move up. Maybe the NHL could be snookered to a trade with Krebs. I would take 3-5 rounder.

The guys I would get rid of or NOT offer a Contract to are

Olofsson trade

Krebs trade

Okoposso don't sign, Get another vet younger and who will get you 20 goals two way player. Captain should be Tuch.

Girgenson I am unsure on, - 5, is that cause of Krebs and Okoposso not scoring? Good on PK. Maybe it is time to move on too

UPL, If he will stay in Rochester developing a year there and playing 75% of the games fine or trade him.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:11 AM, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson sadly does not. 

Greenway looked a lot better the last few weeks.  Assuming we keep the first two lines the same, the 3rd line could also be Savioe-Mitts-Greenway.   

Fourth line and spare forward possibilities are Krebs, Jost, Zemgus, Kyle, and Rousek or Kulich.   Plus we have VO and Vinnie.  Jost, Zemgus, Vinnie, and Kyle are all TBD for next season.  

End of the season we saw Mitts working well with the first line.  We saw Greenway, Cozens, and Tage look pretty good too.  We could see some interesting new combinations next season. 

As you well know, we have a bunch more forwards in the prospect pool, its time for Adams to clear out some forwards to upgrade the defense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.