Has Casey Mittelstadt changed any minds?

dudacek

Centers are all done currently, 4 for 4 with Cozens, Thompson, Mittelstadt, and Krebs.

There's 6 of 8 winger spots accounted for.  Tuch, Skinner, JJP, Quinn, Greenway, and either Okposo or zemgus will be back (I think both might be back, but that's a mistake). There's only 2 starting lineup spots open. Rousek probably gets one of them. 

That leaves 1 starting and 2 healthy scratches left. Olofsson, Savoie, Kulich, Jost, Outsider, and potentially the other one of Okposo or Zemgus to fill 1 starting and 2 press box spots.

Savoie makes sense because you can give him winger time but he gives you center depth. Kulich goes to Rochester. Jost is an RFA so options there. Olofsson can be traded or rotated in for whichever winger is having an off week. 

Skinner-Tage-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Savoie-Mitts-Greenway

Jost-Krebs-Rousek

Zemgus, Olofsson with Kulich first callup.

That's 14 forwards. Leaves room for 7 defenders and 2 goalies to round out the 23 man roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Jost had partial year here not far off what Krebs did and he can play Wing, Penalty Kill. Better 4th line Center than Krebs as far as checking goes. Didn't get Krebs from Las Vegas to be a 4th line Center. Krebs needs to break the 3rd line someday. I bet Savoie breaks the TOP 6, maybe even Kulich before. I see NO PATH for Krebs to do this. Jost doesn't need to, 4th liner pure and simple. Never be a 20 goal scorer, doesn't need to be.

Go to long with Krebs, he will be OLD and no trade value.

Again, NOT about Krebs, about the Prospects and he just put bad numbers up. Can't be more than a 4th line center without injury long term. That happens, has no TRADE VALUE. Sabres don't go to the playoffs. Krebs becomes top 3 center next year, we are done.

Who cares what Krebs was traded for? Tuch alone makes the Eichel trade good. Actually, the culture change alone makes the Eichel trade good. If Greenway and Östlund are also good, bonus. Krebs being an nhl guy is great, we'll see how he does in his sophomore season. If he's only the Sabres 4th line Center, I don't really care because that means this team is deep. Deep means playoffs. If he's the 3rd line center, also good he's improved. No chance in hell for him to get above that. Again, that's good because Krebs doesn't have to hit big, that's what building a system is about. You have redundancy. 

Jost is 25 with 400+ nhl games

Krebs is 22 with 130ish nhl games

Not really surprised Jost is better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

9 pts for 26 total and can't hit the net.

Dahlin 15 for 73, defense

Olofsson 28 for 40   everybody wants him gone

Quinn 14 for 37  not enough BUT

Peterka 12 for 32 not enough but

Okoposo 11 for 28     old but Captain'

Jost mid year 7 for 22   maybe Krebs beats him out but a full year here, NOT

Power 4 for 35         19 years old rookie no AHL plays DEFENSE

Didn't do Cozens, Middlestat or 1st line because it isn't close.

So I am suppose to believe Krebs can beat out someone, WHO? Girgenson, that's who.

If your really a Sabre fan, you should want better. All the players in the system matter to put the best team forward. Many here just want to be right but have no proof on stats or even AHL or minor league play compared to who is coming up. Krebs was already traded and only a piece of the trade. He has had a whole year. Not seeing 20 goals and 30 assists for 50 next year and honestly, not enough. Benched in LV. Bench for games here, NOT because of rotation, terrible Winger. I can still here Marty Biron'.

JUST SHOOT THE PUCK

I’ve been a “real Sabres fan” since 1980. I’ve been a poster here for a long time. Take your obnoxious posts and attitude and piss off!

• dislike 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

23 and 24. Both also had way less games played at 24 than Jost.

Jost has about 100ish more games played right now compared to either player. He is what he is. Really, if we say Tage broke out last season, that's about 200 fewer games than Jost to this point. Jost is what he is. 

Also strange you think Jost will improve but not Krebs.

Actually proves my point, Tage only became a BETTER player under Granto. had 160-200 games before he had break out Goals. This year he has emerged as a Top 5 Center.

Jost is a better player than he was past 6-7 years under Granto, Got to play 3rd line Center. Gets a camp here, he will be better. 25 is young in Hockey, The guy broke in the League young 18,  and has stuck. His 1st two years were a lot like Krebs at 18-19 not 22. So the path for Krebs may NEVER take off as seen with Jost. I like what Jost has given us and Granto awarded him 3rd line. Jost will never be more than bottom 6.

Krebs was brought in to be TOP 6, not even TOP 9 right now. Krebs hasn't met the Expectations, Jost has. Semantics but that matters when you build the team. Krebs doesn't survive winning 4th Line. Brought in to be better. Others that have line 4 qualities in Rochester NOT named Savoie or Kulich.

Funny how people want to change how clubs are built. Adams and Granto won't be satisfied if Krebs WINS 4th line!!! Rather he wins 3rd line Center and Middlestat plays wing or traded. That is the better problem to have. That would mean Greenway, Quinn or Peterka failed.

57 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I’ve been a “real Sabres fan” since 1980. I’ve been a poster here for a long time. Take your obnoxious posts and attitude and piss off!

NICE

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Who cares what Krebs was traded for? Tuch alone makes the Eichel trade good. Actually, the culture change alone makes the Eichel trade good. If Greenway and Östlund are also good, bonus. Krebs being an nhl guy is great, we'll see how he does in his sophomore season. If he's only the Sabres 4th line Center, I don't really care because that means this team is deep. Deep means playoffs. If he's the 3rd line center, also good he's improved. No chance in hell for him to get above that. Again, that's good because Krebs doesn't have to hit big, that's what building a system is about. You have redundancy. 

Jost is 25 with 400+ nhl games

Krebs is 22 with 130ish nhl games

Not really surprised Jost is better. 

Potential doesn't get you in the lineup, being the better player does, when trying to get to the playoffs next year. 1 Point away, going to take the better player now if there is only 3 years between.

Learning Season was 2022-2023. Learned what it takes to get to the playoffs. Krebs has to show he can get to be better than a 4th line Center, 9 goals for 26pts. Not a PP guy, PK guy, SO guy, Winger. Jost hits a few of those at 4th line Center. If he doesn't show in camp he can break Top 9 then he won't get that chance. Need a checking line for TOP 3 of the other team. So if Krebs is over Jost (another Center) he won't score or EVER get those numbers.

Should have stayed in Rochester, NOT Ready for NHL team looking to make playoffs. Maybe that changes, don't see it this year.

• Disagree 2
  • dislike 1

4 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

So how do you get 3 centers drafted 1st round into the line up? Jost and Krebs are young. I would take Jost before Krebs, can play Wing. Your making like all players on team move forward. There are at least 3 in Rochester who can make roster over the people on it now.

Think Krebs is odd man out but let camp decide that.

Middlestat is the one I am intrigued with.

If he can land a 4th position 1 dimensional defensive man to go with Powers than I would trade him for that. Just have to many players

Won't be upset if he stays now on 2.5 million, two way player now and two positions.

See I dont get you obsession with the label center... it is easier to learn to play wing than center and most can transition to wing... the question you should ask is who are the forwards the Sabres can/should keep... TT, Mitts, Jost and Krebs have shown the ability to various degrees to play both positions... position flexibility is a strength and while I get your argument for a strong D and I want one too... there is more than one way to skin that cat... my concern with you focus on Krebs and Mitts as trade bait is that these two are ahead in their development over the likes of Kulich, Savoie and Rousek and would be a setback introducing 3 rookies toward overall team success minus the two above mentioned... not saying 1 or more will exceed them and depending on fit and the right deal at next year's trade deadline... but again I advocate for patience... injuries tend to allow this to happen organically... KO probably gone leaving at least one opening.  We will see what happens with ollie in the off season and who knows about fA signings... nothing is written in stone... depth is a good thing to have at forward.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

See I dont get you obsession with the label center... it is easier to learn to play wing than center and most can transition to wing... the question you should ask is who are the forwards the Sabres can/should keep... TT, Mitts, Jost and Krebs have shown the ability to various degrees to play both positions... position flexibility is a strength and while I get your argument for a strong D and I want one too... there is more than one way to skin that cat... my concern with you focus on Krebs and Mitts as trade bait is that these two are ahead in their development over the likes of Kulich, Savoie and Rousek and would be a setback introducing 3 rookies toward overall team success minus the two above mentioned... not saying 1 or more will exceed them and depending on fit and the right deal at next year's trade deadline... but again I advocate for patience... injuries tend to allow this to happen organically... KO probably gone leaving at least one opening.  We will see what happens with ollie in the off season and who knows about fA signings... nothing is written in stone... depth is a good thing to have at forward.

Anyone who has listened to KA over the past couple of years has heard him repeat the same message that you stated: Be patient and let the process run its course. If you review the players he has brought in over the past year such as Jost, Greenway and Spellman to add some depth to the lower half of the lineup, none of them required significant assets to add them to the roster. And the word organic , which you used to describe the process, is one of KA's favored words when talking about his emphasis in how he is going to rebuild the roster. He has also repeatedly stated that when it comes to prospects, he would rather error on the side of giving them more playing time at the lower levels with the expectation that they will be better prepared when they get the call to move up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs, DY+1, WHL: 1.58ppg

Savoie, DY+1, WHL: 1.53ppg

I think we should be willing to give Krebs another year.

I have learned two things in this Mittelstadt thread.  This ^ (see above), which really surprised me, and that someone here really does not want Krebs on the team.  

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jost is 25, what you see is what you get. 

Second time you've ignored my point. 

Is it? Because he certainly seems to be a much better player at the end of the season than when he came here. I’m not saying he has more development to do, but I’m not quite sure it’s what you see is what you get either. 

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is it? Because he certainly seems to be a much better player at the end of the season than when he came here. I’m not saying he has more development to do, but I’m not quite sure it’s what you see is what you get either. 

Agreed.  Skinner at 30 just had his best season and his 2-way play and passing have improved dramatically.  Skinner in his comments today discussed the work he and his teammates do over the summer to get better.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:11 AM, dudacek said:

Registered his 40th point and his 30th assist tonight.

Would have put him 2nd on the entire team last year for assists, and 1st the year before that. 

He sits in a tie for 116th in league scoring among forwards - which makes him a good second liner in terms of production.

His peers statistically right now are guys like Brock Boeser, David Perron, Andre Burakovsky, William Karlsson, Matt Boldy, and Vladimir Tarasenko.

He’s just under 51% in terms of shot share, bolstered by a 53.4% run in this calendar year.

The big complaint from the fall was he’d show something for a game then disappear for 4.

Has he changed any minds?

I've liked him since day one. 

On 4/15/2023 at 11:13 AM, Pimlach said:

Greenway looked a lot better the last few weeks.  Assuming we keep the first two lines the same, the 3rd line could also be Savioe-Mitts-Greenway.   

I think that line would really set up Savioe for success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/15/2023 at 11:25 AM, TRIP65 said:

Krebs is done. Even if Middlestat traded, there are younger players that can play Center/Wing. Krebs has proven to be one dimensional position wise and only a Medicore Center at best. You think he gets to Cozens level? If NOT then he must go to someone else to develop. Too many prospects

I've never seen so many posts I thoroughly disagree with.  Like... every point you make is just... I won't even say.  Rather than subject myself to more of this I'm going to use the forum tools.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:56 AM, Porous Five Hole said:

If the center spine is TNT & Cozens, what would an almost 60 point center making 2.5M next year to RFA be worth on the open market? 

Is that a top four D?

I’m happy for Casey and I’m not adamant that he gets traded, but showed this year that 3C isn’t his peak. His value has never been higher.
The Sabres also have reinforcements coming. 

Get me a D and set Casey free. 

I think the versatility that Casey showed stepping in at 1C demonstrated that he's not the kind of player you trade away.  I can't think of a recent trade that the Sabres would regret more than they would if they traded Mitts.  He's arrived but center-wise he's clearly 3rd in the pecking order and will be paid accordingly.  I think he'll be particularly useful in the playoffs- a highly skilled guy who can play up and down the lineup with decent size and grit who can play anywhere you want in the forward ranks.  Why would anyone want to trade that away?

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:47 PM, Randall Flagg said:

I just countered SDS's insinuation because it didn't seem fair. I'm not sure why I did this because he's the worst poster on the board and pretends I don't exist but anyway 

If you post stuff like that about the forum's founder it's probably a good idea he pretends you don't exist 😉

Edited by Doohickie

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the versatility that Casey showed stepping in at 1C demonstrated that he's not the kind of player you trade away.  I can't think of a recent trade that the Sabres would regret more than they would if they traded Mitts.  He's arrived but center-wise he's clearly 3rd in the pecking order and will be paid accordingly.  I think he'll be particularly useful in the playoffs- a highly skilled guy who can play up and down the lineup with decent size and grit who can play anywhere you want in the forward ranks.  Why would anyone want to trade that away?

And he's Dahlin's best friend, you know, the Norris trophy candidate fella we want to sign to a long-term deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.