Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

20 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's no Marcus Foligno in the ferocity, and he's no Tuch in the hands...   but he's a Tuch-lite and that's the duplicity this team didn't have since Okposo doesn't have the wheels. Nice addition.

The question is... can Granato unleash the potential?

Meatballs coached him in US w TNT. He was banging the table for Greenway. #trustthemeatball

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Why wait? Are we waiting to anoint DG and KA fantastic at their jobs?

I am waiting to see how Greenway works out.  DG and KA are just taking a shot at improving the roster.  

This is how I see it.  The Sabres are playing for a playoff spot and their games are now at another level of compete.  Refs have put away whistles quite a bit already.  Dahlin and a few others have been literally attacked recently and there is no deterrent on the team.   You cannot count on the refs either.  

Greenway will at a minimum be a policeman, and if DG can help him turn his game around that is even better. 

People complain that we have no size and no grit.  The Sabres go for it and acquire a guy with both.  Now this new poster shows up out of nowhere to stir things up and to get some attention.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Malooga said:

I've been on all sorts of Minnesota Wild boards and comment sections and they couldn't be more ecstatic.

Just because Granato got something out of Thompson (a 1st round pick) at 23-24 years old, doesn't mean he'll get something out of Greenway (a 2nd round pick) at 26-27 years old.

Hope it works out in some way.

Giving credibility to the advice offered on hockey bulletin boards is like giving credibility to the advice on stock market bulletin boards that promote crypto currency. If you take it seriously you will be impoverished. 🤡

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am waiting to see how Greenway works out.  DG and KA are just taking a shot at improving the roster.  

This is how I see it.  The Sabres are playing for a playoff spot and their games are now at another level of compete.  Refs have put away whistles quite a bit already.  Dahlin and a few others have been literally attacked recently and there is no deterrent on the team.   You cannot count on the refs either.  

Greenway will at a minimum be a policeman, and if DG can help him turn his game around that is even better. 

People complain that we have no size and no grit.  The Sabres go it and acquire a guy with both.  Now this new poster shows up out of nowhere to stir things up and to get some attention.  

And the usual posters want to bang the negative drum no matter what DG or KA does. Second verse same as the first.

I am not expecting a whole lot from Greenway. And if he does more than “replacement level” or “4th line level” I’ll be happy with the acquisition. Therefore happy with DG and KA targeting him. But I also certainly won’t be passing definitive unwavering judgment while he gets acclimated to a new team and new system. But that’s just me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bob Malooga said:

Please. elaborate? He doesn't score goals. He doesn't create them. He"s tried to fight like 7 times and mostly got his ass kicked.

What am I missing? Because whatever it is, certainly is not worth giving the Wild a 2nd round pick to do them a favor since they need cap space.

The Sabres should've been paid to take that contract off the Wild's hands.

Oh, and apparently he takes a lot of penalties.

I don’t agree with you that Greenway is a negative value player.

This season is his worst so far.  Hopefully he can get back on track after a change of scenery.  Very big players often take several years to come into their own.

He is a good defensive forward.  He forchecks.  He is physical.  He will stand up for his teammates.

It’s not as if he hasn’t produced offense in his career.  He has.  Over the 3 seasons prior to this year, he produced at a rate of 11 goals and 38 pts per 82 games in his age 22-24 seasons.

Obviously that’s nothing that’s going to blow anyone away, but it is respectable for a 3rd liner, especially considering the other attributes he brings.  This isn’t a move that’s going to be a game changer, but he fills a role.

They didn’t give up that much for him.  A late 2nd has some value, sure, but a player taken there has only like a 20% chance of becoming as good as Greenway.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bob Malooga said:

Granato got his boy in Greenway and Adams got his buddy's kid in Stillman...they're basically sticking with familiarity and doing people they know a solid.

Hopefully it amounts to something.

You act like those are negatives. It can be, but it also allows better insight to the player. Worked in Tage's case.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Wow, very interesting.  This will definitely be something to watch.

I honestly don’t expect that much from Greenway.  A big, physical, 3rd line checking winger with some, but limited, offense is what I have in my mind.

But, with the other things he brings, if he can tick up offensively and be a 15+ goal, 40+ point winger, it really could be something of a game changer.  Not that I’m expecting it.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t agree with you that Greenway is a negative value player.

This season is his worst so far.  Hopefully he can get back on track after a change of scenery.  Very big players often take several years to come into their own.

He is a good defensive forward.  He is physical.  He will stand up for his teammates.

It’s not as if he hasn’t produced offense in his career.  He has.  Over the 3 seasons prior to this year, he produced at a rate of 11 goals and 38 pts per 82 games in his age 22-24 seasons.

Obviously that’s nothing that’s going to blow anyone away, but is respectable for a 3rd liner, especially considering the other attributes he brings.  This isn’t a move that’s going to be a game changer, but he fills a role.

They didn’t give up that much for him.  A late 2nd has some value, sure, but a player taken there has only like a 20% chance of becoming as good as Greenway.

Good points. He's maturing. He'll have a different coach in a different system (and a coach who has already coached him in the past). 

Also, as in all sports, quite often a change of scenery can really help a player. No telling how many times, for example, I've seen an NFL player who was a reserve or partial starter on one team get traded and improve.

He knows that he was traded because he wasn't playing great. But now he has a young team. He knows he's going to play physical and be a  guy you don't want to go against on the ice with your good players, if your team has been trying to rough up Buffalo's players. Not necessarily a fighter - though he can be that - but a tough physical player. That will benefit us against teams that have roughed us up.

If a team gets physical and tries to intimidate our players, like Dahlin or Skinner, well, okay then ... get your big boy panties on boys, cause here we come.

And if we add another defenseman and forward in free agency with some physicality as well as some of our young players continuing to build out their bodies (Power especially adding 15-20 over the next 2-3 years; even Cozens; and I think Samuelsson can become more physical as he matures a bit), we should be able to weather those games where teams try to do that. 

Watched JG for a few years now... hard on the puck, rocket of a shot... little awkward skating stride... good passer... coming off injury been a little slow to restart plus rumored coaching issues... As stated before, JF, Markus and EK were a force as a line...

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Ask yourself this, would any of the Cup Contenders put Okposo on their 4th line? I'm going to say, no, but, it's just my opinion of course.

Tampa has Corey Perry, Boston Nick Foligno, carolina Derek Stepan, Rangers Jimmy Vesey…

Im going to say yes.

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I'm with you. Improving Greenway at the tail end of his worst season might be a Herculean task. 

It’s interesting the divergent takes on recent performance. 

Im always far more interested in the overall body of work than what is currently happening; it creates buy-low opportunities (hello, Thatcher Demko!)

But I also understand why you have to be “buyer beware” over recent trends. 

That’s where your hockey department earns it’s keep: why the trend, can we address it?

It will be interesting to see where it goes. I’m going to bet on Donnie because, well, trends. 😁

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Oh, thank god.

I have an old man’s love for traditional numbers and struggle irrationally with the fact that the Sabres only have 3 roster players wearing jerseys under 20.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Kotalik!

But even larger.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have an old man’s love for traditional numbers and struggle irrationally with the fact that the Sabres only have 3 roster players wearing jerseys under 20.

^This. Though 89 is one of the very coolest numbers possible, perhaps in the history of ever. But choosing a number in the 60s and 70s? What are you, an offensive lineman? You receive a pass and you get whistled for Illegal Touching?

12 is also my number so I'm a bit happier, and the Sabres have generally struggled with the 12 sweater so I'm thinking they're due to have a hit.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s interesting the divergent takes on recent performance. 

Im always far more interested in the overall body of work than what is currently happening; it creates buy-low opportunities (hello, Thatcher Demko!)

But I also understand why you have to be “buyer beware” over recent trends. 

That’s where your hockey department earns it’s keep: why the trend, can we address it?

It will be interesting to see where it goes. I’m going to bet on Donnie because, well, trends. 😁

I think a lot of this has to do with the scope through which you view the trade.  If someone is looking at this mainly as a deadline acquisition for a playoff push, I can see how they might be skeptical.  If someone is thinking mainly about what Greenway can bring over the next 2+ year, I think there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.