Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is that Hinostroza is gone next year as is Okposo.  Expect they bring in a Hinostroza type to add some extra competition.  Expect Savoie will get his 9 game look, but that for LT cap management, that they're planning on sending him back.  Could see Rousek getting a legit shot but expect Kulich is pencilled in the following year like Savoie is.  So, they'll have about 15 guys with legit shots at making the top 13 and probably 3 or so more that will be in the mix.

Expect they bring in another 4/5 D-man and let the 8 guys they currently have, the new guy, and Johnson duke it out for the 8 roster spots.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring in another G to share the net with UPL next year as it sure seems they don't trust Comrie.  And with Levi being available as the emergency guy, they will finally not only have an entire roster of NHLers, but they will have guys that won't be out of place in the NHL down in Ra-cha-cha too at pretty much every position.  Might have to go back even longer than the drought to get to a point they could say that.

I feel like if they had their way Savoie would somehow make it - winning games needs to come first, but if he’s a top 12 forward in camp / first 9 by rights I don’t think they’d be LOOKING to send him back - I know the cap thing but perhaps that’s balanced out by the dev concern of MS in juniors in which case it can be straight up based on merit 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SwampD said:

There is no way Kyle is done after year.

Not really sure why people think that.

You’d think he’d want to reap the winning rewards of the culture he helped turn around, that he had to wallow in for years 

he be back 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I feel like if they had their way Savoie would somehow make it - winning games needs to come first, but if he’s a top 12 forward in camp / first 9 by rights I don’t think they’d be LOOKING to send him back - I know the cap thing but perhaps that’s balanced out by the dev concern of MS in juniors in which case it can be straight up based on merit 

If Savoie is clearly one of the top 9, no way he goes back to Juniors.  If he's borderline 12/13, expect the extra year of having him under control and also the extra year of him on a cheap deal will win out on the +/- pros and cons evaluation of where to have him playing turns the tide to sending him back.  Could very well be wrong about that and hearing Adams speak later this month could very well turn that evaluation/expectation.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Penciling greenway into a top 9 roll seems pretty darn hasty 

We’re pencilling him in as one of our 9 best forwards?

He’s in his prime, prior to his the past month or two he’s been averaging 15 minutes a night over the past few years on a playoff team, and they just gave up a 2nd-rounder for him.

Thinking they don’t see him in the top 9 seems more hasty to me. 🤷

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m pretty sure KO will be moving into Sabres management next year and Greenway will take over pretty much everything he does on the ice right now.

(For the record, I’m kinda expected Ryan Miller to join the Sabres in an executive capacity in the off-season as well. Good additions, IMO, competitors and smart hockey minds.)

Just curious, why are you expecting that of Miller?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s in his prime, prior to his the past month or two he’s been averaging 15 minutes a night over the past few years on a playoff team, and they just gave up a 2nd-rounder for him.

Thinking they don’t see him in the top 9 seems more hasty to me. 🤷

And KO played 15 mins on L4 last game 

It’s likely he’s on the roster. Saying we know who SHOULD be the wingers for TT, DC, and Krebs, specifically, remains a bridge too far

Edited by Thorny
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

There is no way Kyle is done after year.

Not really sure why people think that.

Just now, Thorny said:

You’d think he’d want to reap the winning rewards of the culture he helped turn around, that he had to wallow in for years 

he be back 

I think Kyle could be back and will be back if he wants to be.

I’ve also seen too many signs about him joining the front office, coupled with lack of commentary about re-signing (not to mention the new house being built in Minnesota) to make me think he’s got a choice to make. Kyle’s a family man and I bet he and his wife have had plenty of discussions about his health and the family’s next chapter.

Pretty sure he and Kevyn have talked about his future on and off-ice and agreed to revisit it in May or June, kinda like they did with Anderson last spring, except Kyle will have two Sabres job options to choose between.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Mittelstadt-Krebs-Oloffson

Girgensons-Jost-Okposo

Who are they going to sit?  JJP?  Promote Mittelstadt and Greenway to line 3?

Well right now Tuch is out.

I’d say it depends on what they are looking for in a given game. 

He adds a lot more physicality than anyone there. Including Girgensons who for his size is surprisingly passive as a hitter. 

I think there are times he could play alongside any of Cousins or Krebs or Jost as his game can fit any of those. Even on rare occasion with Tage if they want someone to be physical and work in the corners to get the puck into the front of the net. 

Next year, as several others have intimated, Okposo is a free agent and they will likely let him walk. And go after a defenseman. Perhaps a goalie. But they also have a Levi in the wings. And could still resign Anderson. That will be a challenging decision this next year. 

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And KO played 15 mins on L4 last game 

It’s likely he’s on the roster. Saying we know who SHOULD be the wingers for TT, DC, and Krebs, specifically, remains a bridge too far

Oh, god. Not the Okposo is a 4th-liner thing again.

Allow me to rephrase: I expect Greenway to be an everyday Sabre playing 14 to 15 minutes a night next year.

As far as the bold goes, “likely” is not an option. He’s an established NHL regular, not Cale Clague or Anders Bjork.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just curious, why are you expecting that of Miller?

He’s been retired long enough to be ready to launch a post-player career and dropped hints he wants it to be in hockey, and there’s been a lot of love shown recently in both directions.

Miller’s done some things for the Sabres that seemed beyond coming to town to be honoured.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh, god. Not the Okposo is a 4th-liner thing again.

Allow me to rephrase: I expect Greenway to be an everyday Sabre playing 14 to 15 minutes a night next year.

It’s not the Okposo is a 4th liner thing again, though. (I’m the guy who’s always supporting that argument when you make it. Sigh. I digress)

It was that a guy can get 15 mins not playing on, to use the term YOU introduced, the “Top 3 lines”. If you don’t believe in line designations re: playing time, why did you use the term top 9 then?

logically, then, since we know you don’t necessarily buy into designations, you must be referring to the 3 centres who we know will be occupying those spots. Incorrect? 

so, no, not “oh god” thorny, just me pointing out that penciling him in to those lines, specifically, seemed an unsure thing at this time

ya, 14-15 a night, I agree.  cool cool 

as for “likely” being “not an option” for you: we are very different people. I don’t believe in absolutes like that. He could get traded. Who knows. I said likely. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Not a bad trade, but not a huge exciting one either 

Would not have minded seeing Oloffsson and Mittlestadt traded. Not one bit 

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Mittelstadt-Krebs-Greenway

Girgensons-Jost-Oloffson

Even without Okposo or Hinestroza coming back, no free agent additions, and no prospects coming up, that’s still a full 4 lines.

Id be a little surprised if one of Olofsson/Mittelstadt isn’t moved this offseason.

49 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My guess is Greenway will be a 3/4 line Winger who PKs and adds legitimate grit to our lineup while putting up 35 points per year.

If that’s what we get then a late second and fifth is a pretty cheap price (especially considering his $3 mil cap hit over two years). 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Girgensons-Jost-Oloffson

Even without Okposo or Hinestroza coming back, no free agent additions, and no prospects coming up, that’s still a full 4 lines.

Id be a little surprised if one of Olofsson/Mittelstadt isn’t moved this offseason.

Won't be surprised if Olofsson is moved.  Considering Mittelstadt is 5th in the pecking order this year amongst F's and only Quinn of the guys that are here now has a chance of supplanting him next year, minus making a big trade for a F would be very surprised if he's not a Sabre next year.  (Now, might he get moved in the 2 seasons after that, very possibly.  But don't see it happening before next off-season at the earliest.)

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

As it should.  
still believe 1 if not both with be with the Sabres next season 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Won't be surprised if Olofsson is moved.  Considering Mittelstadt is 5th in the pecking order this year amongst F's and only Quinn of the guys that are here now has a chance of supplanting him next year, minus making a big trade for a F would be very surprised if he's not a Sabre next year.  (Now, might he get moved in the 2 seasons after that, very possibly.  But don't see it happening before next off-season at the earliest.)

Definitely need to move him this summer 

find a team that needs a PP trigger man. 

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Girgensons-Jost-Oloffson

Either Kulich or Savoie on line 3

Greenway on line 4 

Yea 

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Quinn-Cozens-Peterka

Girgensons-Jost-Oloffson

Okposo won't be back (do you remember the heat I took for saying that just two months ago?!) and Hinostroza won't be, either, at least not with the big club.

I question your third and fourth lines.  I don't understand the purpose of putting Oloffson on a checking line, and I don't understand the purpose of putting Greenway on a less-skilled line that is supposed to maybe score or do a pullup.

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s not the Okposo is a 4th liner thing again, though. (I’m the guy who’s always supporting that argument when you make it. Sigh. I digress)

It was that a guy can get 15 mins not playing on, to use the term YOU introduced, the “Top 3 lines”. If you don’t believe in line designations re: playing time, why did you use the term top 9 then?

logically, then, since we know you don’t necessarily buy into designations, you must be referring to the 3 centres who we know will be occupying those spots. Incorrect? 

so, no, not “oh god” thorny, just me pointing out that penciling him in to those lines, specifically, seemed an unsure thing at this time

ya, 14-15 a night, I agree.  cool cool 

To be clear, my frustration isn’t with you, it’s with how message board phrases like “top 4 D” and “3C” constantly lead to misunderstandings.

In this particular case, I meant “top 9” to refer to ice time and when I say 4th line, I typically mean the line that gets the least amount of ice time. i understand (too well) that those words say different things to others, who approach roster discussion differently.

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

As it should.  
still believe 1 if not both with be with the Sabres next season 

Definitely need to move him this summer 

find a team that needs a PP trigger man. 

To the bolded, if it were strictly about merit for just next season and not part of a plan for moving forward for the next dozen or so years, expect they would.  But last year, Quinn and Peterka were tearing up the AHL and both only got a cup of coffee in the NHL last year in their D+2 year.  Still believe that was to get their ELC's to slide a 2nd year.

Until Savoie &/or Kulich play a 10th game in the NHL next year will not expect them to do so.  (And again, based upon what Adams says about them moving forward, might change that expectation, but am not ready to do so now.)

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Okposo won't be back (do you remember the heat I took for saying that just two months ago?!) and Hinostroza won't be, either, at least not with the big club.

I question your third and fourth lines.  I don't understand the purpose of putting Oloffson on a checking line, and I don't understand the purpose of putting Greenway on a less-skilled line that is supposed to maybe score or do a pullup.

Maybe Okposo won’t be back, maybe he will.

Those lines were not meant to be a careful construction of the Sabres 2023-24 opening night lineup.  It’s just a tool for illustrating the players who are likely to be returning.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Jost would have provided insight on that exact point.

Greenway is too young to be washed up. He just fell out of favour with the coach or couldn’t find a role in the changes.

Guerin wanted much needed cap space.

Greenway is from Canton NY, does that provide a bit of a Tuch vibe?

I spent my college years in Canton at St Lawrence U. Great D1 hockey school a couple hours north of Syracuse (where Tuch grew up). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.