GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Boston Bruins 3/2/2023 MSG 7 PM

bob_sauve28

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

My goodness how things have changed in the last 5 days with playoff hopes. Scoreboard has been cruel, players injured, no trades and teams around them all got better. 

I will hope for the best but all of a sudden, playoffs seem like a distant memory.

For the past month or so, the 'pace' required for that last playoff spot in the east has been about 92 points.

As of this morning, it is still around that same 92 points.

Sabres have a tough schedule coming up of course, but as long as they maintain a 90-92 point pace, they are still going to be in the running.

12-9-2 for the rest of the season?  Thats what you have to shoot for.  its going to be tough the longer Dahlin is out for, and with the upcoming schedule and Tuch out.  And yes, many of us just want them to make the playoffs no matter what happens when you get there.  But if they can't go 2-3 games above .500 the rest of the year, they probably don't deserve the playoffs yet and if they made it wouldn't fare all that well.

This team has a history this year of appearing to be falling out of the race and just then going on a winning streak or winning a big game you don't think they will.  Then when you think they are the favorite for a spot they start a losing streak or play an awful game.  Thats just the way this team is. It is almost futile to project or predict how they will do on a week to week or game to game basis.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

See Bruins just announced signing Pastrnak to huge 8 year $90million contract!!! Surprised Boston gave that much...

Wow. I read somewhere that the Cap was just a total joke, most teams are over it something? 

And that sure makes it look like we got TNT for a good price 

10 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wow. I read somewhere that the Cap was just a total joke, most teams are over it something? 

The Cap as a total joke is the NFL, though you do have to work in floating 5-year increments based on when you decide to apply the signing bonuses. So... the NFL cap is not the hard cap it claims to be, but it isn't a total joke. It's not 'Nam is what I'm saying: there are rules.

The Concept of the Cap has only one big loophole in the NHL and that's that an LTIR player isn't out until the start of the next league year. Close that loophole and this Cap is both hard and downright vicious.

Speaking of LTIR: Taylor Hall has been placed on it, thus the Bertuzzi pickup for Boston. While Hall is definitely hurt, I'm guessing it's one of those where he'll be out until exactly April 16th, but he'll be able to practice with the team (but not be cleared to play) for a couple weeks before then.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

To the team the changes are less than to the fans.  

Here's my opening. I've been meaning to ask how we think Adams' tendencies play in the room. I would guess that the young core is fine with it and might even appreciate the trust. And they think they have forever to make the playoffs. The older guys? Maybe not so much. Tuch cough cough. We all trust in linear progress. The cold reality of sports is that the Sabres might not be this close to the playoffs one year from now. Vets know this. Even vet fans.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

If anyone is a gambler betting Boston on the money line tonight is just about as close to a sure thing as possible.

There's one born every day...

Just now, Stormcloudmember66 said:

That the bruins are placing themselves in cap hell for now? Who would not love that as a Sabres fan! LOL

The Bruins aren't in cap hell. They're all in this season and only have $11M in cap space next year after the Pasta deal. Lots of bottom 6 holes to file, yes. But if they get Krejci and Bergeron for a combined $3.5M next season like they are this year, then they can still ice a perfectly good roster with a bunch of small contracts because the top 3 lines will be set. There's no reason they can't retain one of Orlov or Bertuzzi next season if Bergeron/Krejci retire or play for next-to-nothing again.

Now -- once Krejci and Bergeron hang them up -- that's when we'll see what really happens there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

The Bruins aren't in cap hell. They're all in this season and only have $11M in cap space next year after the Pasta deal. Lots of bottom 6 holes to file, yes. But if they get Krejci and Bergeron for a combined $3.5M next season like they are this year, then they can still ice a perfectly good roster with a bunch of small contracts because the top 3 lines will be set. There's no reason they can't retain one of Orlov or Bertuzzi next season if Bergeron/Krejci retire or play for next-to-nothing again.

Now -- once Krejci and Bergeron hang them up -- that's when we'll see what really happens there.

every year someone here predicts the Bruins demise....

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

every year someone here predicts the Bruins demise....

It's entirely dependent on Bergeron and Krejci and who they have to replace them. They're two of the best 2-way centers in the league and they're making a combined $3.5M. Take them both off the ice for a season and that team is a shell.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Dylan Larkin’s contract suggests the same thing. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Just pondering... Just pondering...

Hall is on LTIR. Let's say he's really hurt and out 6 months (highly doubtful, it's going to be 6 weeks), but let's just ponder for a moment. He's got a 16-team M-NTC he would have submitted at the beginning of this season. If you're Boston's GM... do you ship him to one of the tankers or also-rans to give them the "Hall for 1st" guarantee? I'm betting the Saint Louis wasn't on his no-trade list to start the year. Vancouver? Big-market Chicago? All the others in the bottom 10 probably were on his list.

Trade for Hall, guarantee yourself Bedard. Add one more guy and you've got a top line right there for a few more years!

Hall finds himself right back on a last-place rebuild being overshadowed by a kid. Hall doesn't deserve nice things. Make it happen!

Edited by DarthEbriate

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Just pondering... Just pondering...

Hall is on LTIR. Let's say he's really hurt and out 6 months (highly doubtful, it's going to be 6 weeks), but let's just ponder for a moment. He's got a 16-team M-NTC he would have submitted at the beginning of this season. If you're Boston's GM... do you ship him to one of the also-rans to give them the "Hall for 1st" guarantee? I'm betting the Saint Louis wasn't on his no-trade list to start the year. Vancouver? Big-market Chicago? All the others in the bottom 10 probably were on his list.

Trade for Hall, guarantee yourself Bedard. Add one more guy and you've got a top line right there for a few more years!

Hall finds himself right back on a last-place rebuild being overshadowed by a kid. Hall doesn't deserve nice things. Make it happen!

Hall can go phuck himself blind. After the way he blatantly disrespected the game here in Buffalo, the only thing he deserves is never playing again. He’s a disgrace to the game.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Here's my opening. I've been meaning to ask how we think Adams' tendencies play in the room. I would guess that the young core is fine with it and might even appreciate the trust. And they think they have forever to make the playoffs. The older guys? Maybe not so much. Tuch cough cough. We all trust in linear progress. The cold reality of sports is that the Sabres might not be this close to the playoffs one year from now. Vets know this. Even vet fans.

I think you might be correct.  Some of the young guys could look at it as a vote of confidence, the tweeners must feel like they dodged a bullet, some older guys probably want to see more commitment to win.  Highly competitive guys of any age could also be wondering when will the Front Office be all in.  

The cold reality is that next year they might not be as good.  You never know what can happen to derail a season and the Sabres history is filled with disappointing seasons immediately following good ones.  Last years President's Trophy winners are struggling to make 8th place this season.  

The trade deadline ends in 26 hours and 6 minutes from when I pushed submit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.