GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Boston Bruins 3/2/2023 MSG 7 PM

bob_sauve28

6 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

That if we are not going to make the playoffs (Highly likely) that we fall enough to at least have a shot at top pick. Strong draft get a good pick. If we are not going to make the playoffs, might as well pick high! All i am saying.... LOL

Sure, let’s just continue to not win.  Excellent plan.

bang head on desk working GIF by GIF-THIS

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Marchand was getting a penalty. Krebs retaliated costing the Sabres a PP in a must win. Did it get UPL fired up enough to put his own stick to Pasternak seconds later leading to a 4 on 3 goal to break the scoreless tie?

I missed Marchand getting the initial penalty.  Still glad Krebs gave it back and then some.  Also glad Okposo jacked up Hathaway.  And Stillman with several punishing hits.  I thought the Sabres played tough and looked ok until the bs penalty on UPL.  Everything fell apart after that.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Sure, let’s just continue to not win.  Excellent plan.

bang head on desk working GIF by GIF-THIS

Ok, lesson in reading..... READ THE WHOLE SENTENCE!!!! LOL That is NOT what was said. They are going to continue to not win anyways. We are not even close to the top 6 teams and we play them a lot in the last 20. I am saying if we fall, fall enough to be in the sweepstakes for top pick. I want playoffs first, but as that is seemingly less likely, a shot at #1 ...

2 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Ok, lesson in reading..... READ THE WHOLE SENTENCE!!!! LOL That is NOT what was said. They are going to continue to not win anyways. We are not even close to the top 6 teams and we play them a lot in the last 20. I am saying if we fall, fall enough to be in the sweepstakes for top pick. I want playoffs first, but as that is seemingly less likely, a shot at #1 ...

I understood.  You want us to pick last if we can’t be in the playoffs.  In other words, if we can’t be in the playoffs you want us to lose even more.  ***** that *****.  It’s been 12 years.  Win.  Even if it’s too late for the playoffs, win.  Someday rooting to not win has to stop. Period.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I understood.  You want us to pick last if we can’t be in the playoffs.  In other words, if we can’t be in the playoffs you want us to lose even more.  ***** that *****.  It’s been 12 years.  Win.  Even if it’s too late for the playoffs, win.  Someday rooting to not win has to stop. Period.

Well, when we can put a team on the ice that can do that consistently, yes, you are right. I never root to lose. But rather finish 9th worse then 12th. 

Found it refreshing Lysowski called out by name Olofsson, Jokiharju, and Skinner for big turnovers last night… Could have added Cozens, Thompson, et al… Players get plenty of praise by Buffalo Media… Need some accountability when their play is dismal in an embarrassing defeat… Bravo, Lysowski

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Well, when we can put a team on the ice that can do that consistently, yes, you are right. I never root to lose. But rather finish 9th worse then 12th. 

Which requires losing.  You don’t go from lottery to playoffs in 1 step usually.  That usually requires a middle step.  This is their middle step.

We had a shot at skipping the middle step this season, but that is becoming more difficult by the game.  But that’s no excuse to be a seller and root for 9th last FFS.

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Marchand was getting a penalty. Krebs retaliated costing the Sabres a PP in a must win. Did it get UPL fired up enough to put his own stick to Pasternak seconds later leading to a 4 on 3 goal to break the scoreless tie?

What? So now instead of making a save, he’s supposed to tuck his stick out of the way in case the opposing player might hit it. It’s ridiculous.

And he didn’t “finish him off.” UPL went to poke check the puck away from Pasta and the stick went between his legs. Then he fell. His left leg went under UPL’s stick and lifted it taking out his right leg even more. UPL didn’t lift his stick to trip him.

It wasn’t borderline. It was a crap call.

It was the defining moment in the game. It shouldn’t have been, but it was. They should have been able to overcome a bad call but they are still young.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Which requires losing.  You don’t go from lottery to playoffs in 1 step usually.  That usually requires a middle step.  This is their middle step.

We had a shot at skipping the middle step this season, but that is becoming more difficult by the game.  But that’s no excuse to be a seller and root for 9th last FFS.

LOL 12 years is a pretty huge step... but understand your point. We just see differently 

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

I am so with you.

This is (or was) a year to make big progress.   Staying in the race up to the last day is progress.  A March mini tank for a "better draft pick" is not progress.  

The only way to stop the losing is to actually stop losing.    

This team is $17.7M under the cap.  The team closest to that is Arizona at $15.3M under, and they are tanking, not us.  

rewatched some of the goals from last night:

1st goal allowed:  down 2 guys, its going to happen.

2nd goal allowed: Defense over-rotated following the puck.  Jokiharju vacates his entire zone down low, but after watching it over and over I can't put it 100% on him. Samuelsson went to the boards after the puck and a guy came into the spot he vacated so Joki covered him. Eventual goal scorer could have been picked up by Cozens but he just was a half step behind.   This goal on over-rotation, a tad bit on Jokijarju (but he didn't have a good option), also on Cozens for not picking up the goal scorer entering the vacated zone and maybe the winger who should have dropped down low instead of chasing the puck.

3rd goal allowed: lots of bad mistakes. Skinner with a terrible pass across the ice in his own zone that has Bruins players all around.   Samuelsson can't control the pass and loses the puck battle. The Skinner/Thompson line just isn't good at picking up the pieces after that.   Skinner with a really bad pass though.  Stillman, however, actually did what he should have. He couldn't stop the goal, but he stayed back, didn't vacate his spot, and was the ONE player in front of the net to contest the goal.

The last few goals, well, we all know the empty net/end of game issues.

So look at the goals allowed, and yes, they were chasing the puck in their own zone against a good, puck rotating team.  It tells me this Sabres team is clumsy and just not good enough 'yet' as they play like a young, inexperienced team in their own end.  Other than that awful Skinner pass, there really weren't any huge mistakes on the goals allowed.  I really can't blame Jokiharju for moving over the ice on the 2nd goal, and I would have liked Cozens to cover his guy a bit better, but its a split second decision that is hard to make.

The Sabres don't win this game or a game against great, veteran, balanced teams like this until 1 of 2 things (or both) happen:  1.)  They press so hard offensively that the opposing team is on their heals all game long.  That is hard enough as it is, but even harder with everything Dahlin does and Tuch's forecheck.  2.)  They become better overall in their own end...become better at knowing their linemates and where they should be and are able to KNOW how their linemates react and where they will be. That comes with experience.

I also noticed that Power didn't make any big mistakes, he really do anything to cause any goals against. He played a pretty good game. BUT it seems to be becoming a trend that in big games, against the best-of-the-best opponents, he plays more tenative. Nothing wrong with that, he is very young, and maybe he is instructed to play that way. Its just Power seems quicker to get rid of the puck, less likely to look for a play and more likely to just chip the puck forward when playing agains top teams than against others.

I saw very little on the goals allowed that a stay-at-home, sound D-man that you could have traded for would have solved.  The way you win this game is to become better offenseively so you are pressuring the other team a lot more, and you simply have more awareness in your own end and hours and hours more with your teamates/linemates/d-partner so you are chasing less.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Believer said:

Found it refreshing Lysowski called out by name Olofsson, Jokiharju, and Skinner for big turnovers last night… Could have added Cozens, Thompson, et al… Players get plenty of praise by Buffalo Media… Need some accountability when their play is dismal in an embarrassing defeat… Bravo, Lysowski

Olofsson and Joker are both fading away under the March madness stress.  Making the playoffs is going to take a huge effort and the importance of staying in the race to the end of the season cannot be stressed enough.   It will show us once and for which players cannot cut it when the NHL hits high gear.  The games are different right now.   It is unfortunate to lose 26 and 89 at this point in the season but we are learning about other players along the way.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Did you watch the game? 

Dude it was just a run of the mill call, most of which are debatable depending on whom you're rooting for. How do you get to MFT? It shouldn't have sealed the team's fate, not given how the Sabres can score and facing a backup. It didn't lead to a 7-1 loss. I pray no one on team shares your defeatist and "the fix is in" mindset. Also Johnny Boychuk says hello.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Dude it was just a run of the mill call, most of which are debatable depending on whom you're rooting for. How do you get to MFT? It shouldn't have sealed the team's fate, not given how the Sabres can score and facing a backup. It didn't lead to a 7-1 loss. I pray no one on team shares your defeatist and "the fix is in" mindset. Also Johnny Boychuk says hello.

I would bet money that Swayman isn’t getting that call on Cozens. Goalies trip players all the time trying to make saves.

I never said the fix is in, but it absolutely did lead to a 7-1 loss. And you are right, it shouldn’t have (as I already said). It was a tight checking, low event game until then. And yes, UPL should have pulled himself together. He’s going to have to learn how soon, cause those kinds of calls ain’t gonna stop any time soon.

And you never answered. Did you watch the game.

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

rewatched some of the goals from last night:

1st goal allowed:  down 2 guys, its going to happen.

2nd goal allowed: Defense over-rotated folling the puck.  Jokiharju vacates his entire zone down low, but after watching it over and over I can't put it 100% on him. Samuelsson went to the boards after the puck and a guy came into the spot he vacated so Joki covered him. Eventual goal scorer could have been picked up by Cozens but he just was a half step behind.   This goal on over-rotation, a tad bit on Jokijarju (but he didn't have a good option), also on Cozens for not picking up the goal scorer entering the vacated zone and maybe the winger who should have dropped down low instead of chasing the puck.

3rd goal allowed: lots of bad mistakes. Skinner with a terrible pass across the ice in his own zone that has Bruins players all around.   Samuelsson can't control the pass and loses the puck battle. The Skinner/Thompson line just isn't good at picking up the pieces after that.   Skinner with a really bad pass though.  Stillman, however, actually did what he should have. He couldn't stop the goal, but he stayed back, didn't vacate his spot, and was the ONE player in front of the net to contest the goal.

The last few goals, well, we all know the empty net/end of game issues.

So look at the goals allowed, and yes, they were chasing the puck in their own zone against a good, puck rotating team.  It tells me this Sabres team is clumsy and just not good enough 'yet' as they play like a young, inexperienced team in their own end.  Other than that awful Skinner pass, there really weren't any huge mistakes on the goals allowed.  I really can't blame Jokiharju for moving over the ice on the 2nd goal, and I would have liked Cozens to cover his guy a bit better, but its a split second decision that is hard to make.

The Sabres don't win this game or a game against great, veteran, balanced teams like this until 1 of 2 things (or both) happen:  1.)  They press so hard offensively that the opposing team is on their heals all game long.  That is hard enough as it is, but even harder with everything Dahlin does and Tuch's forecheck.  2.)  They become better overall in their own end...become better at knowing their linemates and where they should be and are able to KNOW how their linemates react and where they will be. That comes with experience.

I also noticed that Power didn't make any big mistakes, he really do anything to cause any goals against. He played a pretty good game. BUT it seems to be becoming a trend that in big games, against the best-of-the-best opponents, he plays more tenative. Nothing wrong with that, he is very young, and maybe he is instructed to play that way. Its just Power seems quicker to get rid of the puck, less likely to look for a play and more likely to just chip the puck forward when playing agains top teams than against others.

I saw very little on the goals allowed that a stay-at-home, sound D-man that you could have traded for would have solved.  The way you win this game is to become better offenseively so you are pressuring the other team a lot more, and you simply have more awareness in your own end and hours and hours more with your teamates/linemates/d-partner so you are chasing less.

Good analysis.  Your summary is more O-zone time and more experienced players to improve the D-zone time.  Sure, that would help. 

Three goals decided the game even though we gave up 7.  The way the game ended was disturbing and embarrassing.  Hopefully they can use that to get better versus Tampa on Saturday at home.  

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I would bet money that Swayman isn’t getting that call on Cozens. Goalies trip players all the time trying to make saves.

I never said the fix is in, but it absolutely did lead to a 7-1 loss. And you are right, it shouldn’t have (as I already said). It was a tight checking, low event game until then. And yes, UPL should have pulled himself together. He’s going to have to learn how soon, cause those kinds of calls ain’t gonna stop any time soon.

And you never answered. Did you watch the game.

I watched the first half until just before the UPL penalty then saw the score and skipped ahead to see WTF happened. Why does it matter?

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I watched the first half until just before the UPL penalty then saw the score and skipped ahead to see WTF happened. Why does it matter?

Because that penalty was the defining moment in the game, at least for UPL.

Let’s hope he grows from it, I mean, that is what this season is about, right?

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Not so sure about that.  The ref isn't in the camera frame, so don't know that the arm came up after the cross check.  (The whistle definiely wasn't heard prior to the Krebs retailiation.)  Considering how often the Rat Faced Git gets away with that play expect there is at least as good a chance, if not better, that there would've been no call at all without the retaliation by Krebs.  After Krebs took matters into his own hands, then the ref decided to take both to the box.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am so with you.

This is (or was) a year to make big progress.   Staying in the race up to the last day is progress.  A March mini tank for a "better draft pick" is not progress.  

The only way to stop the losing is to actually stop losing.    

This team is $17.7M under the cap.  The team closest to that is Arizona at $15.3M under, and they are tanking, not us.  

Don't forget that around $5MM of the Sabres salary is going to a coach for Dallas. We are under the floor in terms of actual players playing for the team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

it's not our job to say who.....that's the GMs job. We just want the team to get better.

They need to find someone they think will make them better. Unfortunately Adams is not going to make a trade to just make a trade. He has a similar mentality as McDermott. Trust the process, only want people who want to be here. Blah blah blah

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not so sure about that.  The ref isn't in the camera frame, so don't know that the arm came up after the cross check.  (The whistle definiely wasn't heard prior to the Krebs retailiation.)  Considering how often the Rat Faced Git gets away with that play expect there is at least as good a chance, if not better, that there would've been no call at all without the retaliation by Krebs.  After Krebs took matters into his own hands, then the ref decided to take both to the box.

Have you found a video of it anywhere?

I didn't see Marchand getting called first, then Krebs.  I think I heard Ray say they are both going off almost immediately.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Have you found a video of it anywhere?

I didn't see Marchand getting called first, then Krebs.  I think I heard Ray say they are both going off almost immediately.  

You mean besides my DVR?  No.  But haven't looked for it either.

Dunleavy said 'the ref in the Boston zone may have called that.' Ray then said he thought both were going.  The ref in the Sabres zone goes out of camera just before the whistle blows but he did not have an arm up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.