Rasmus Dahlin expected to miss Thursday's game and also Saturday's

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

well that pretty much could not be worse timing for that injury...ugh

On the bright side, there's still time to do something about it via trade. Not to replace Dahlin, but to shore up the left side with a capable player until he's back so that Boston and TB don't have free rein to pummel Power into dust for 28 minutes each game. Few good options remain, but something can be attempted.

Lol this completely sucks

- - - 

Does this make KA more willing to make a move, equally willing to make a move, or less willing to make a move reverting back to development year lingo? 

Really gonna hurt Dahlin’s Norris push too, one of the funnest aspects of this season. 

All around bad. Gah. Ruining the fight for 8th we’ve been waiting for for a decade. Apologies for my negativity on this, feels like kick in the nuts.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

When everyone is healthy, they're a better than average team in the mix for a playoff position.

However, we all know they're the youngest team in the league and are lacking depth at some key positions.  

That said, it should come as no surprise that they'll struggle if any of their core guys go down for any extended period of time.

Yeah the timing of it sucks, but the important thing right now is guys like Quinn and Power gaining experience as top line contributors.   

This season was never about making the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

When everyone is healthy, they're a better than average team in the mix for a playoff position.

However, we all know they're the youngest team in the league and are lacking depth at some key positions.  

That said, it should come as no surprise that they'll struggle if any of their core guys go down for any extended period of time.

Yeah the timing of it sucks, but the important thing right now is guys like Quinn and Power gaining experience as top line contributors.   

For me it’s more about how it hurts the fun of the chase. 

I didn’t need to make it. You are correct, the season wasn’t ABOUT playoffs. The run itself being marred by this is why it hurts, plus feel for Dahlin who was putting himself firmly in the Norris convo. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I wonder how important it is to Adams to make the playoffs?  Obviously they would be HUGE underdogs vs either Boston or Carolina

Maybe he doesn’t want to make any move that depletes any of his relevant prospect pook (sorry bloom), when he figures making the playoffs only adds 4 or 5 games onto their season 

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I wonder how important it is to Adams to make the playoffs?  Obviously they would be HUGE underdogs vs either Boston or Carolina

Maybe he doesn’t want to make any move that depletes any of his relevant prospect pook (sorry bloom), when he figures making the playoffs only adds 4 or 5 games onto their season 

Personally I get a tick when playoffs are described that way. YES making it would be awesome, that feeling game 1, at puck drop, will make the decade worth it. The puck drop for game 3, on home ice. Put it in my veins. 

If Adams could trade a prospect by way of which GUARANTEED a playoff spot, I think he makes the move (which doesn’t actually exist). I think the consideration for GM’s here is more often “does this move substantially change our chances, anyways?” versus any sort of “is it even worth it?” conversation.

Yes, it’s worth it. By George is it worth it for the fans ie the Sabres. Haven’t even got into the revenue we’d get for at least 2 extra home games 

Trading significant assets just to slightly increase the odds is something he probably just won’t do, at this stage 

Bad value play. This is why any move can still happen though - but it would necessarily be one that helps beyond this season as well (even Stillman is under contract) so as to square the value in the situation we miss 

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is true. But......it was fun to dream....

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope and pray DG and co can fix Stillman and turn him into a viable 3rd pairing guy or tough 7 that DG is comfortable throwing out there 18 minutes a night if needed and everyone can say I told you so.   However, to me this is KA better on a long-shot to win the Triple Crown.

Like, on foot? Then I disagree. 

Placing a bet? Ya, prob 

Edited by Thorny
No idea how I got this into the wrong thread

42 minutes ago, French Collection said:

This is tough news.

I find the drop off to rest of the D group to be huge.

Tuch is important but not like Dahlin.

No one is like Dahlin, here. Even league wide that number is increasingly shrinking, he’s very special. I think, especially with a d-man, we will appreciate it more over time. He plays defence, good defence. He stops goals. Karlsson is a forward. Dahlin is a ridiculous team relative plus minus. Imo morrissey has little chance of getting a Norris nom above Dahlin (assuming Dahlin actually comes back soon?) because, I’ve heard, the voters care about plus minus.

on a related tangent, I’m requesting a deal to team stormcloud this deadline with a built in escape-hatch back to Rover upon Rasmus’s return 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Personally I get a tick when playoffs are described that way. YES making it would be awesome, that feeling game 1, at puck drop, will make the decade worth it. The puck drop for game 3, on home ice. Put it in my veins. 

If Adams could trade a prospect by way of which GUARANTEED a playoff spot, I think he makes the move (which doesn’t actually exist). I think the consideration for GM’s here is more often “does this move substantially change our chances, anyways?” versus any sort of “is it even worth it?” conversation.

Yes, it’s worth it. By George is it worth it for the fans ie the Sabres. Haven’t even got into the revenue we’d get for at least 2 extra home games 

Trading significant assets just to slightly increase the odds is something he probably just won’t do, at this stage 

Bad value play. This is why any move can still happen though - but it would necessarily be one that helps beyond this season as well (even Stillman is under contract) so as to square the value in the situation we miss 

Don’t get me wrong. Im super excited just to make the playoffs , even though the realist in me realizes it likely won’t last long 

i did a first pump last night when Gustavsson stoned the last islanders shooter last night 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Day to day my ass.

If anything was ever day to day, it’s the unpredictability of BM.  

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Day to day my ass.

And this is why I think these designations are goofy.  Day to day.  What does that mean?  One day? Seven days?  Eleventy Billion days?  Every other sport seems to have figured out better terminology. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.