GDT: Sabres @ Lightning, Feb 23, 2023, 7:00 pm; MSG WGR

Captain Caveman

22 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

I thought I saw him go limp.

You mean he was hard before the hit???

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I didn't even mention the porous defense and bad goaltending even once.  Oops!  I guess I just did.

And I was so proud of you!  Until just now.  😉

Too busy with work to watch... but I monitored just enough to know that the Sabres had a 2-goal lead heading into the third. The most entertaining thing in hockey this season is the Sabres starting the final period with a 2-goal lead.

Hope Dad Okposobi is in the lineup tomorrow. We all know VO has one more 10-game, 10-goal bender in him this season and will be a reason the Sabres are in the playoff chase going into the final few games. Nice start to the road trip.

tumblr_nff3d6v7VO1qlxnhco2_250.gifv

Boushh is someone who loves us.

Tonight, we are all gummy bears.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Oh he can’t win it it’s McDavid’s. But I could see a nomination given the circumstances outlined

I’m not talking about McDavid. I should have  said it will be tough with a 60 goal scorer on the ice with him. People will have a hard time voting for Dahlin with Thompson out there with him. Who cares that he’s a defenseman, they’re always going to flock to the numbers. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

- I didn’t like Mitts’ game (among many lousy plays, right before the too many men penalty was called, he butchered a clean 2-on-1 and turned it into an easy TB breakout, which led directly to the penalty), or VO’s.  Both of them were much too soft on the puck.  Bryson was a bit of a train wreck at times too.

I agreed with a lot of what you said but wanted to highlight this comment which I totally agree with. I think in general both of those guys (and also VO to some extent although he does have that shot) are flawed hockey players that rely on their speed so when they play slower teams they can have great moments but when they play teams that can keep up at their tempo their weaknesses show and at times are blatantly obvious. 

I'll take it. The same problems almost cost them. Defense and giveaways. I get TB does have twice the talent. 

It's not going to change until the next pre-season camp with a few new faces and maybe an asst. coach who can help Granato establish a mindset of getting back on D and not panicking in their own end. 

It's still so refreshing to see players that can actually score. It seems like yesterday that it was a minor miracle the Sabres could score 2 goals in a game and have one player that recorded 20 goals on the season. Still a ways to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

That was an awesome game to watch for both fans. I think we all knew that 2 goal lead in the 3rd was a goner as soon as that period started...LOL Some thoughts

Comrie - actually almost all the goalies.... they either make some insane save or some seriously non saves on shots they should stop. Comrie gets it done though!! 

Tage - Is Tage, enough said. Looked pretty healthy to me!

Tuch - I almost feel sorry for him that his linemates are definitely slower then he is and he is often left by himself in the offensive zone waiting for the rest to show up. Honestly did not realize how damn fast he is!!

Bush - Hell we do not need any trades, we got Bush scoring OT shorthanded goals!!!! All i can say is Karma..... Great non call of his hook (That was a clear penalty) and make up call for the clear elbow in the face to Kyle!

Krebs - slowly turning into a fave for me!!! He reinvented himself to a serious blue collar, checking and back checking/hitting fool!!! And he still shows flashes of his hockey talent in scoring! Yes please can i have another!!

Ok, is it just me, or did Tampa get away with a serious amount on crosschecks in the back to players without the damn puck????? WTF!!!! Nice to see the Sabres grow a backbone and start roughing them up back! We can use that night after night!! 

Happy for the win, it was deserved (Even though the stripes tried to give to Tampa). Tonight will be that much harder as Florida seriously has our number and knows how to shut us down. Come out hard from second 1 and go for the Florida sweep! They should xerox last nights game and try that every night. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, EBG said:

You can tell that was a good no call on the alleged hook. Clearly a dive by Stamkos. He fell the wrong way from where the stick was (as if Lyub hooked his lower legs on the opposite side of where his stick was. What a sneak little B Stamkos is). Great play and shot. 

We had one fortunate goal but five really good ones on Vas who was just rated the top goalie in an ESPN article a couple of days ago. Lol. Not last night and not against the Sabres. 

Huge win. Would love to get at least a point tonight. Big game against a fellow playoff contender. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have to say, i absolutely hate not being able to watch the Sabres post game on ESPN+ (Only real complaint about ESPN+) but last night it was fun watching the Tampa post show and be able to drink some butthurt Tampa tears as they whined and cried over the non call, but never said a word on the Elbow to the head of Kyle. They did get a chuckle over the Bush goal though. They were saying how anyone but Bush should have scored, but not him...LOL Was great!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's not the ending, but Tina does drop-kick Ike a few times in that special place.

The sad part was it took Tina 16 years of abuse to realize it.

She realized it a lot sooner. However, she was unable to get away from his abusive grip. After a number of merciless beatings she finally broke away. She was the show. When she finally got away and performed on her own she had a career where she became an entertaining icon. If I'm not mistaken I believe she moved to France and resided there. 

Attached is a 50 year old clip. 

Edited by JohnC

Im not sure I saw Bryson as the 3rd went on. He was not good at all last night, the speed and physical play of Tampa was overwhelming for him. 

Mattias Samuelsson looked meh again. He really had some struggles last night and idk if he is injured or hitting a bit of a wall but we need more out of him. I would say the same thing for Power. Owen needs to learn that this is the NHL, he can lean into guys. 

Comrie was meh. He made saves at the end at OT which is great but I thought a couple of other goals should have been saved. 

Buffalo faded in the 3rd as Tampa really turned it up a level. I thought the Sabres did okay-ish dealing with it but still need more. 

Ilya Lybushkin decided after the Okposo hit that he was going to choose violence and turned into a wrecking machine. Idk if the Stamkos thing was a penalty considering that Stamkos hooks the stick and then flings himself to the ice. I honestly don't care after the blatant missed elbow. 

Tage, Skinner, and Tuch and Dahlin... my oh my. 

Cozens and Quinn were noticeable at times but you see some of the youth come out for both now and again. Just not quite there yet. 

Peterka... woof. Just a bad game and he has had several now. He needs to simplify his game and instead he is trying to do everything. Disliked this game a lot from him and might sit him tonight for Asplund. 

Overall we won but it was a lopsided game in the 3rd IMPO. We needed a little more push and more control. 

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I wanted to add that Krebs play to Quinn was great, he knew he was going to get hit but made a perfect pass.

Getting up and not missing a shift after that hit, tough little player.

Oh yea, Krebs and Mitts both played really well last night. I like that Krebs is a s#!t stirrer and that Mitts seems to have settled into a role that he is doing well at. Great plays by Mitts and Krebs to keep that puck alive and Quinn firing that quick shot certainly caught Vasilevsky off guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.