GDT: Sabres @ Lightning, Feb 23, 2023, 7:00 pm; MSG WGR

Captain Caveman

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not asking him to be a Pronger type, and I am not comparing him to Pronger, but then again, why not?   He will get stronger and is good enough to play a physical game if he wants too.   

I specifically compared him to Hedman, not Pronger.  

Dahlin is his teammate.  I think it's inevitable he will pick up some snarl from Rasmus.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t get enough props in this thread. Are we starting to take him for granted already?

Dude was money. Three prime opportunities, three ice-cold kills.

Next goal will make him the first Sabre in like 15 years to hit 40, and just the 3rd since Lafontaine and Mogilny were in their prime nearly 30 years ago.

Skinner hit 40

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not asking him to be a Pronger type, and I am not comparing him to Pronger, but then again, why not?   He will get stronger and is good enough to play a physical game if he wants too.   

I specifically compared him to Hedman, not Pronger.  

I know what you mean.
I prefer Pronger but just want Power to add a dash of snarl.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, we caught Vasilevsky on a rare off night I think.

I would say his defense left him out to dry.  The Quinn goal he'd probably like to have back, and he misplayed Boosh on the OT winner, but all three Thompson goals were a case of an unmolested top goal scorer with an open shot, and the Girgs goal was one of those deflections you just can't react to.

13 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I do Facebook. Follow NHL and you get all the compact highlights for all the games. 

The 9-ish minute highlights on YouTube show up maybe 30 minutes after the end of the game. I almost never track games real-time, so this works perfectly for me. Sportsnet or NHL post the same video (more or less).

1 minute ago, SDS said:

You saved me the time of looking that up. I was wondering if he ended at 39 or something.

Nope.  Housley's parting gift to the GM that was about to fire him.  He moved Skinner back to the top line the last couple of games to help him get to 40 goals and his massive contract.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

On the Skinner pass, I literally was like "oh that's a goal" so yup. 

That said, I am excited to see how Tage keeps evolving. I'm not convinced we have seen his best. 

When you watch enough games you can many times call the goal before even gets to the shooter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It blows my mind That the guy we sacrificed Everything for and tanked for isn't a franchise player but the guy that couldn't get past 10 goals in 4 years is .

Some people will take such observations and forget about them within an hour, while continuously making definitive judgments on 18 year olds. It’s a funny world.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I do Facebook. Follow NHL and you get all the compact highlights for all the games. 

Why not just use the NHL app? That only does it give you the condensed game, it gives you an individual video of every goal scored. Goal videos are usually posted within a couple minutes.

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So many times, dating decades back--I scream "there!"  (Or "dammit!") And it's in.  You just know.

Yep. I do find I’m more correct being scored against than for, but that may be a function of the last 10 years.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Samuelsson and Power have both slipped slightly defensively since the around the AS break.  Them figuring it back out would be hugely beneficial towards this playoff push.  Pretty confident Muel will get it back.

Power could be reaching that proverbial rookie wall.  More hopefully, its coaching asking him to do more offensively, which is putting more on his plate.  If it's that they're asking him to make that typical leap in a non-simplified game that is usually asked of 2nd year guys that rookies aren't asked to do, it'll be noticeable next season.  And he can go back to what's been working this year if necessary. 

In the past, that has usually meant he's injured. Hope he's not fighting something.

49 minutes ago, SwampD said:

In the past, that has usually meant he's injured. Hope he's not fighting something.

Yup and agree with the bolded.

Had thought the Samuelsson Power pairing was to help Owen out by giving him a steadier partner.   But that experiment might have been to give Muel a lighter load on the 2nd pairing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.