GDT: Sabres @ Lightning, Feb 23, 2023, 7:00 pm; MSG WGR

Captain Caveman

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Tage thompson is amazing holy cow 

Didn’t get enough props in this thread. Are we starting to take him for granted already?

Dude was money. Three prime opportunities, three ice-cold kills.

Next goal will make him the first Sabre in like 15 years to hit 40, and just the 3rd since Lafontaine and Mogilny were in their prime nearly 30 years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t get enough props in this thread. Are we starting to take him for granted already?

Next goal will make him the first Sabre in like 15 years to hit 40, and just the 3rd since Lafontaine and Mogilny were in their prime nearly 30 years ago.

Don't you wanna dance?  Say you wanna dance!

image.png.7a9a972e11c27ef9a2779343dfbeeab7.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

I'll take it. The same problems almost cost them. Defense and giveaways. I get TB does have twice the talent. 

It's not going to change until the next pre-season camp with a few new faces and maybe an asst. coach who can help Granato establish a mindset of getting back on D and not panicking in their own end. 

It's still so refreshing to see players that can actually score. It seems like yesterday that it was a minor miracle the Sabres could score 2 goals in a game and have one player that recorded 20 goals on the season. Still a ways to go. 

I do not think Tampa has twice the talent but they have less weaknesses and they are a veteran team that has won multiple cups.   Talent wise we hang with them.  Experience and mindset is the difference.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Talk about taking poor Jeffrey for granted. 

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I do not think Tampa has twice the talent but they have less weaknesses and they are a veteran team that has won multiple cups.   Talent wise we hang with them.  Experience and mindset is the difference.  

The biggest difference in talent is in net, Vasilevskiy is better than last night and a proven star.

I agree that the rest of the lineup is pretty even.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Talk about taking poor Jeffrey for granted. 

Those two assists he got last night could have been the work of Dale Hawerchuk.

So good! And he's been making those plays all year.

Pre-Granato he was such a selfish player, whether he scoring goals or not. And even when he tried to pass, it frequently looked weak and off-target.

I don't remember ever seeing a veteran player improve his playmaking the way he has.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pre-Granato he was such a selfish player, whether he scoring goals or not. And even when he tried to pass, it frequently looked weak and off-target.

I don't remember ever seeing a player improve his playmaking the way he has.

Skinner just wasn't buying what Ralph was selling.  Skinner has become a more complete player under Granato and for sure you're right it is unusual for a veteran to improve his overall as much as he has.  Makes me think he had it all the time. 

Edited by Pimlach

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't remember ever seeing a veteran player improve his playmaking the way he has.

All 3 guys on that line have improved their playmaking since being put together.  Skinner especially.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Skinner just wasn't buying what Ralph was selling.  Skinner has become a more complete player under Granato and for sure you're right it is unusual for a veteran to improve his overall as much as he has.  Makes me think he had it all the time. 

Ralph did get Skinner to be more defensively aware at least.  Skinner is still mediocre as a back checker, but at least he does it now.

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The biggest difference in talent is in net, Vasilevskiy is better than last night and a proven star.

I agree that the rest of the lineup is pretty even.

Yup.  They don't have the holes we do, everyone is solid on that team.  They are not breaking in 3 rookies and several sophomores either.   But top end talent, we have closed that gap and we have a lot of emerging talent.  

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It was more than just not fitting in with Krueger.  He didn't pass that well in Carolina nor under Housley either.

His mindset changed upon getting back onto the top line under Granato.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

On the Skinner pass, I literally was like "oh that's a goal" so yup. 

That said, I am excited to see how Tage keeps evolving. I'm not convinced we have seen his best. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Im not sure I saw Bryson as the 3rd went on. He was not good at all last night, the speed and physical play of Tampa was overwhelming for him. 

Mattias Samuelsson looked meh again. He really had some struggles last night and idk if he is injured or hitting a bit of a wall but we need more out of him. I would say the same thing for Power. Owen needs to learn that this is the NHL, he can lean into guys. 

Comrie was meh. He made saves at the end at OT which is great but I thought a couple of other goals should have been saved. 

Buffalo faded in the 3rd as Tampa really turned it up a level. I thought the Sabres did okay-ish dealing with it but still need more. 

Ilya Lybushkin decided after the Okposo hit that he was going to choose violence and turned into a wrecking machine. Idk if the Stamkos thing was a penalty considering that Stamkos hooks the stick and then flings himself to the ice. I honestly don't care after the blatant missed elbow. 

Tage, Skinner, and Tuch and Dahlin... my oh my. 

Cozens and Quinn were noticeable at times but you see some of the youth come out for both now and again. Just not quite there yet. 

Peterka... woof. Just a bad game and he has had several now. He needs to simplify his game and instead he is trying to do everything. Disliked this game a lot from him and might sit him tonight for Asplund. 

Overall we won but it was a lopsided game in the 3rd IMPO. We needed a little more push and more control. 

Playoff hockey has already started for Buffalo and the entire team needs to play more responsible hockey in their defensive zone.  More sacrifices need to be made, this is the type of hockey they have to learn to actually get into the playoffs.   

I made a few similar comments to yours recently on Samuelsson and Power the past few games.  They do a lot with their sticks, and usually they have good sticks and make plays, but their are times that separation of the man from the puck is the play, and you rely on your partner to clean up the puck.   They are two big guys that have to use their body more and put that size to better use - this is especially true for Power.  Opposing forwards just cant be allowed to skate around freely with no fear.  

Watching a star like Hedman last night, he does it.  He can take a forward out of the play with a body check and is athletic enough to not to take himself out of the play on the process.  

If and when Adams makes the trade to bring in more defensive help I want that type of player added our team.   Not saying we can get Hedman, we obviously can't, but a veteran that will play the body, is mobile and strong, and can settle things down would make a difference.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Playoff hockey has started for Buffalo and the entire team needs to play more responsible hockey in their defensive zone.  More sacrifices need to be made, this is the playoff hockey they have to learn to actually get into the playoffs.   

I made a few similar comments recently on Samuelsson and Power the past few games.  They do a lot with their sticks, and usually they have good sticks and make plays, but their are times that separation of the man from the puck is the play, and you rely on your partner to clean up the puck.   They are two big guys that have to use their body more and put that size to better use - this is especially true for Power.  Opposing forwards just cant be allowed to skate around freely with no fear.  

Watching a star like Hedman last night, he does it.  He can take a forward out of the play with a body check and is athletic enough to not to take himself out of the play on the process.  

If and when Adams makes the trade to bring in more defensive help I want that type of player added our team.   Not saying we can get Hedman, we obviously can't, but a veteran that will play the body, is mobile and strong, and can settle things down would make a difference.  

Power wasn’t drafted as a Pronger type but if he added a little edge to his game opponents would pee themselves as he gets stronger.

Mule could be more physical, just not in a Risto out of the play manner. As you say, take the guy out and rely on your forward support.

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Playoff hockey has started for Buffalo and the entire team needs to play more responsible hockey in their defensive zone.  More sacrifices need to be made, this is the playoff hockey they have to learn to actually get into the playoffs.   

I made a few similar comments recently on Samuelsson and Power the past few games.  They do a lot with their sticks, and usually they have good sticks and make plays, but their are times that separation of the man from the puck is the play, and you rely on your partner to clean up the puck.   They are two big guys that have to use their body more and put that size to better use - this is especially true for Power.  Opposing forwards just cant be allowed to skate around freely with no fear.  

Samuelsson and Power have both slipped slightly defensively since the around the AS break.  Them figuring it back out would be hugely beneficial towards this playoff push.  Pretty confident Muel will get it back.

Power could be reaching that proverbial rookie wall.  More hopefully, its coaching asking him to do more offensively, which is putting more on his plate.  If it's that they're asking him to make that typical leap in a non-simplified game that is usually asked of 2nd year guys that rookies aren't asked to do, it'll be noticeable next season.  And he can go back to what's been working this year if necessary. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Don't you wanna dance?  Say you wanna dance!

image.png.7a9a972e11c27ef9a2779343dfbeeab7.png

Was looking for the ❤️ reaction choice.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I appreciate this. When the season started and the top line emerged, I expressed my sense (and concern) that Skinner was a mediocre-to-poor passer/playmaker.

And, to my great delight, that take has been absolutely knee capped by 53’s remarkable passing this season.

Incredible.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Tuch - I almost feel sorry for him that his linemates are definitely slower then he is and he is often left by himself in the offensive zone waiting for the rest to show up. Honestly did not realize how damn fast he is!!

Tuch has such a high motor, but then again, that's his role, to be first man in, establish control, then look to dish to a linemate.

34 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Power wasn’t drafted as a Pronger type but if he added a little edge to his game opponents would pee themselves as he gets stronger.

Mule could be more physical, just not in a Risto out of the play manner. As you say, take the guy out and rely on your forward support.

Not asking him to be a Pronger type, and I am not comparing him to Pronger, but then again, why not?   He will get stronger and is good enough to play a physical game if he wants too.   

I specifically compared him to Hedman, not Pronger.  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It blows my mind That the guy we sacrificed Everything for and tanked for isn't a franchise player but the guy that couldn't get past 10 goals in 4 years is .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.