ROR Traded To Toronto

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Yeah, I get the Prince of Wales of it all, but there aren’t 16 teams anymore.  Add that that the lopsided nature of the current conferences/divisions and it’s just, like…. Bleh.  

Thing is, the league puts a high value on limiting travel & also promoting "traditional" rivalries.  So, while they may at some point go back to 1-8 in conference (wouldn't have money on it, but it could happen) they almost definitely will not go back to 1-16 playoff seeding.  Too much travel & too great a chance that they might end up w/ a 1st round matchup of something like Canes-Canucks that they expect wouldn't sell many tickets & would have very low TV ratings.

Still personally would like to see them run something similar to what they did in the very early '70's.  Start out 1v4 & 2v3 in division, then those 2 winners play the 2 winners of the other division w/in conference, then those 2 winners go cross conference, w p/ the 2 survivors meeting for the Cup.  Would allow for Sabres Habs, or Sabres Phlyers in the finals and could also allow a battle if Alberta in the finals or NY-NY or Detroit-Avs or any other combination.  Wouldn't having the 2 best teams in the championship regardless of where their home rink happens to be located make for a better product?

They'd get the rivalries early and COULD get them again at the end too.

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not convinced he’s any good.  At all. anymore. 

I'm not convinced either, but if he is, him (and Acciari) are exactly what that team needed. The D is still iffy and goaltending is weak though so it still might not be enough. No way to argue they aren't a better team now though so who knows what happens. Healthiest team at playoff time will probably win the division. 

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m pretty sure part of the contract between TSN,HNIC and the leafs is that no one can criticize the team or any moves they make 

7 Canadian teams but the Leafs take up 80% of the news.

The old broadcast crew of Bob Cole and Harry Neale treated HNIC like a national broadcast. I’m shocked when Craig Simpson says anything good about another team.

Leafblowers.

Not a bad addition IMO. O'Reilly is exactly what you want in a playoff hockey player. I think the Leafs get out of the first round this year, but their defense and forward depth are still quite suspect. They will need Murray or Samsonov to play lights out come playoff time to make a deep run.

12 minutes ago, NAF said:

Not a bad addition IMO. O'Reilly is exactly what you want in a playoff hockey player. I think the Leafs get out of the first round this year, but their defense and forward depth are still quite suspect. They will need Murray or Samsonov to play lights out come playoff time to make a deep run.

ROR is past his best before date but he could do well as a third liner. They are playing him with Marner and Tavares tonight though.

Their goaltending will be their downfall again. I don’t think they can get by Tampa, Boston or Carolina.

48 minutes ago, French Collection said:

ROR is past his best before date but he could do well as a third liner. They are playing him with Marner and Tavares tonight though.

Their goaltending will be their downfall again. I don’t think they can get by Tampa, Boston or Carolina.

That’s what I was thinking for ROR (3C). If so, his matchups in the Leafs lineup will get a lot easier and he will probably show out well.  

On 2/18/2023 at 5:17 AM, tom webster said:

It only cost Minnesota $75,000 in actual cash.

HUH

On 2/18/2023 at 9:14 AM, Flashsabre said:

I understand that. I just don’t see the one piece that St. Louis got back that makes it worth retaining 50% on. The best piece is the first that will be very late.

This looks like a deal where St. Louis was desperate to get rid of their captain rather than a deal where they had a prime asset and waited for that one piece they wanted.

It is a quantity over quality trade especially since they threw in Acciari who is a valuable playoff piece.

Maybe other teams think ROR is shot based on this season and didn’t want to offer anything of substance.

He lost that Loving Feeling!

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:
6 hours ago, JKB1646 said:

HUH

Because of the way O’Reilly’s contract was structured, it only cost Minnesota $75K in actual cash to retain 25% of his salary in order to acquire a 4th round pick.

To clarify, this his AAV for Salary Cap is $7.5 million.  His actual pay for this season is $6 million, made up of a $5 million signing bonus (already paid) and $1 million in salary.  When traded his remaining salary for the 26 games the Leafs had left was $319,000, 25% of which is $79,000 (give or take, rounding, etc.)

Edited by Doohickie

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

After losing 5-3 to the lowly Blackhawks, do you think ROR lost his love of the game or is he saving that for the first round exit?

There's still time.  He will demand a trade any day now.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

After losing 5-3 to the lowly Blackhawks, do you think ROR lost his love of the game or is he saving that for the first round exit?

Dude was slow and always a step behind the other team when they scored.  That was in his prime.  No way he’s any faster, maybe a little wiser but that only goes so far.  I think at best he’s a net zero for them.  Most likely somewhat worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Dude was slow and always a step behind the other team when they scored.  That was in his prime.  No way he’s any faster, maybe a little wiser but that only goes so far.  I think at best he’s a net zero for them.  Most likely somewhat worse. 

But he had the same pyjamas as Tavares.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

If he keeps getting traded, his final team will only owe him enough to get a coffee and a donut at Timmy Ho's.

I’m fairly certain there’s an injunction somewhere requiring him to stay at least 500 meters away from any and all Timmy Ho’s location, given past events… 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.