Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Cook's drop was bad, and I think his 3rd drop of an easy TD this season, but in the KC game the Bills scored a TD 2 plays later -- so there was no damage.

Even so, the Bills' screaming need is for more downfield receiving weapons.

Diggs' drop was the real killer.  He might be my favorite guy on the team, and it's likely he was hurt in the last 6 weeks or so of the season, but his production fell off a cliff in that period.  Most importantly, the team leaders who are getting paid huge salaries -- like Diggs -- need to make those plays.

That game came down to 2 or 3 plays that KC made and the Bills didn't make.  MVS caught the long bomb for KC, while Diggs dropped his, and JA missed Shakir in the end zone with 2 minutes left.  If even one of those plays had gone the other way, the Bills might've won, and if 2 of them had gone the other way, they probably would've won.

Such is life.

• Agree 5

Something quasi-positive.

I have a few friends from grad school at Michigan State (you probably know it as "the other university in Michigan") who have suffered through the ignominy of an 0-16 season (after a 5-0 preseason, no less).  They remind me of us in the late 1980's or after the Bills' drought.  Their innocence is kind of fun to me.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe a reason that the Bills can't seem to beat the Chiefs in big games is that, when it comes down to it, the Chiefs and Mahomes play better against zone defenses than they do man-to-man, and the Bills/McDermott play primarily a zone.

This is an interesting take/idea. Are there linkelages you can provide?

Just off the cuff, the Chiefs' ability to solve zone schemes would make sense given the effing mind meld genius that Mahomes and Kelce share. 87 just knows where to go and sit down to get a catch. I've watched/heard him interviewed about his craft. He may play the role of the goofy, carefree bro, but that guy is a fu*king tactician and clinician when it comes to zone beaters.

We need real receivers, receivers who catch with their hands, not their arms.

Still trying to figure out what the heck Diggs was doing on that last drive when he just swung his arm around to hit the defender. He probably would have caught the ball if he had just tried to.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is an interesting take/idea. Are there linkelages you can provide?

Just off the cuff, the Chiefs' ability to solve zone schemes would make sense given the effing mind meld genius that Mahomes and Kelce share. 87 just knows where to go and sit down to get a catch. I've watched/heard him interviewed about his craft. He may play the role of the goofy, carefree bro, but that guy is a fu*king tactician and clinician when it comes to zone beaters.

Kelce started off as a QB before switching to TE and that experience is invaluable to his ability to make pre and post snap reads of the defense. He understands the “why” of what a defense is trying to do and that’s half the battle. Beasley had the same ability and Allen really misses that element. 

My main hope is that Brady gets to open up the O with a completely new system. I'm under the impression that he had to use some of Dorseys this year and I'm not sure I'm versed in football enough to know if that really makes a huge difference. 

On 1/22/2024 at 10:32 AM, MISabresFan said:

It is easy to point fingers at the last offensive play.  It is harder to look at the game as a whole and see that many plays were botched.  It should have never been left up to the kicker.  Who relies on a kicker who is 2-6 from that distance in the playoffs?  The mindset should have been TD on that last drive.  There are a lot of players and coaches to blame.  Bring in Bill.

and audition kickers at training camp. Its the NFL, at $5 million per, you're expected to make those.

• Agree 1

The Bills don’t have the dawgs or the coaching to even sniff the SB.  Proven overwhelmingly now. All they have is a superstar qb with no real supporting cast that contending teams have. We could play KC 10 times in the playoffs and we won’t win once. JA with Andy Reid would have 2 championships by now. Instead, Philip Rivers career is his likely comp. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Bills don’t have the dawgs or the coaching to even sniff the SB.  Proven overwhelmingly now. All they have is a superstar qb with no real supporting cast that contending teams have. We could play KC 10 times in the playoffs and we won’t win once. JA with Andy Reid would have 2 championships by now. Instead, Philip Rivers career is his likely comp. 

Come now, the Bills would go at least 3 for 10 just on luck.

The real disappointing part to me is how bad the receivers are with their drops. We barely get any magical catches. It makes Josh look a lot worse than he really is. 

im glad we fired Dorsey and salvaged the season.  Night and day difference 

the defense was decimated with injuries so it’s hard to be hard on them. But Miller is washed and the zone collapses against good teams and we don’t adjust. Would hope we learned by now but we didn’t. 

then out of nowhere our special teams just fell off a cliff. Can’t be having that.

I don’t know how you fix that with the cap. 

Edited by triumph_communes

On 1/23/2024 at 8:04 PM, K-9 said:

Kelce started off as a QB before switching to TE and that experience is invaluable to his ability to make pre and post snap reads of the defense. He understands the “why” of what a defense is trying to do and that’s half the battle. Beasley had the same ability and Allen really misses that element. 

Memory Jogger - Jay Riemersma played QB at Michigan and switched to TE.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

The real disappointing part to me is how bad the receivers are with their drops. We barely get any magical catches. It makes Josh look a lot worse than he really is. 

im glad we fired Dorsey and salvaged the season.  Night and day difference 

the defense was decimated with injuries so it’s hard to be hard on them. But Miller is washed and the zone collapses against good teams and we don’t adjust. Would hope we learned by now but we didn’t. 

then out of nowhere our special teams just fell off a cliff. Can’t be having that.

I don’t know how you fix that with the cap. 

Get Younger and cheaper.  Try to move the large contracts (if you can) and renegotiate the others - no other options.  This happens when you go "all in to win it," and it doesn't work.  

I wonder what the market is for Josh Allen?  How many picks is he worth?

Edited by MISabresFan
another thought

14 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It doesn’t work like that. It’s a game of strategy not blackjack. Look how many times Brady beat us. 

I get you, I really do, but the Bills and Chiefs aren't nearly as far apart as the Lost-in-the-woods Bills and probably the best NFL team in recent history. Even then, the Bills won 3 games against Brady.

Even as it is, the Bills have been down to a play either way with the Chiefs in two of the three recent playoff games. That's strongly into a lucky bounce changes everything territory.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Get Younger and cheaper.  Try to move the large contracts (if you can) and renegotiate the others - no other options.  This happens when you go "all in to win it," and it doesn't work.  

Why would you think about moving him ? 

• Thanks (+1) 4

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

I get you, I really do, but the Bills and Chiefs aren't nearly as far apart as the Lost-in-the-woods Bills and probably the best NFL team in recent history. Even then, the Bills won 3 games against Brady.

Even as it is, the Bills have been down to a play either way with the Chiefs in two of the three recent playoff games. That's strongly into a lucky bounce changes everything territory.

Historically, we choke in these type games as a franchise.  Probably more so than any other franchise.  

5 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

What?

Are you seriously suggesting trading JA?

If so -- this might be the dumbest post in the history of this board.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What?

Are you seriously suggesting trading JA?

If so -- this might be the dumbest post in the history of this board.

That's bad.  But considering this is a Sabres-centric board, don't believe it tops Roy for Malkin straight up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Joe Brady officially named Bills OC

Bored The Office GIF

What's wrong with that ? You guys didn't Even see what he can accomplish with his own playbook lol

16 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yay, we get to watch the Chiefs dynasty destroy our souls. I think Buffalo woulda handled the Ravens this week. 

Alas

They will get destroyed by the 49ers Like embarrassed lol