Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

This is the type of game that Buffalo lost for two decades and created the concept of something being “Billsy.”

But not much since JA17 showed up. And it still happens…that’s the NFL. But whether it’s talent, coaching, or karma, the Bills end up winning a lot more of these than they lose when they don’t blow teams out. 

I’ll take it.  

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Word picture of the last play? I was just following on the play by play. Was afraid Giants had first and goal on a PI or something.

HECTIC.

A good throw probably draws a defensive holding call.  But it was high, even for the giraffe of Waller. Middle of the field at the back of the end zone with very little room or time for the QB. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

That was a football game that 90% of the NFL plays 11-13 times per year. We have been privileged enough that we should always (rightfully) expect to be above that against an opponent like this, but it didn't happen. And the Bills lose this game fairly frequently when it does happen. They didn't tonight, and that's something I guess. 

Why didn't they go for two on the second TD? I feel like the math makes sense there.

You either go up 4 or 6 instead of 5. Either way, 4 or 5 requires a TD to beat you. If you make it, 6 makes them make the XP. If you stop them, a FG makes it 7 or 9. 

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it is, but that seems like a detail that somebody on the staff should be paying attention to. It didn't make a difference tonight, but it could have, and it would matter against a better team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

Why didn't they go for two on the second TD? I feel like the math makes sense there.

You either go up 4 or 6 instead of 5. Either way, 4 or 5 requires a TD to beat you. If you make it, 6 makes them make the XP. If you stop them, a FG makes it 7 or 9. 

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it is, but that seems like a detail that somebody on the staff should be paying attention to. It didn't make a difference tonight, but it could have, and it would matter against a better team. 

I thought the same thing. I usually get that stuff wrong in real time though haha

• Like (+1) 2

Seems to me that the Bills were insistent on running the ball tonight. Almost as thought Allen's shoulder wasn't feeling 100%.

Meh. No way that game should be close.

Also, you have the ball on the 1 yard line and you line up in the shotgun?  Fire the OC. He's a tool.

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

Seems to me that the Bills were insistent on running the ball tonight. Almost as thought Allen's shoulder wasn't feeling 100%.

Meh. No way that game should be close.

Also, you have the ball on the 1 yard line and you line up in the shotgun?  Fire the OC. He's a tool.

(i'm pretty sure the tape is going to show that dorsey was fine today)

Wow.

Watched the 2nd half this morning. The O llooks like a dysfunctional bottom 5 team for 3 quarters.  Giants should have won that game. Pathetic. 

At New England next week.  Pats are even more pathetic and have a great shot at winning right now.  This team is in maor trouble with injuries and current level of uninspired play.  They cannot beat the NFL's worst, at present.  

Try practicing mid-week instead of playing pool and ping pong in the rec room. 

Diggs has made the offense about Diggs.  Diggs first, screw what the defense is giving me.  Always looking for Diggs, because if you don't, I am going to spot off like a spoiled rich kid, point fingers, smash tablets, and ridicule the whole organization on how they don't like to win.  Remember what happened to Baker when a big-name receiver pointed out to the world, and his dad, that I was open and he didn't throw me the ball!  Along came DeShaun.  This whole drama thing has tainted the offense.   I bet Diggs wasn't happy used as a decoy for Harty's touchdown.  

Edited by MISabresFan
spelling
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The tape? C'mon man.. I'm older than you and I wouldn't use that word. 🙂

As for being fine, why do you think so?  How is what that offense did last night fine?  Sure, Allen's shoulder is injured, but that does not excuse shotgun at the 1 yard line.

Edited by LTS

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm right on the verge of being sick of this narrative -- that the All-22 film nerds have a Dorsey take that's very different from the good folks who sit near me in Section 307. When the Bills lined up in pistol at the goal line -- and then effing ran the ball (for an inevitable loss) -- we collectively lost our got dam minds. GET. UNDER. CENTER.

I will say this for Dorsey: He had his moments. He went "it's a copycat league" for that Harty TD. I've seen some version of that motion/stop motion/opposite way from the Chiefs, I think. Nice work on Dorsey's part. Also, he schemed up a very good game-ending throw to Knox -- between Josh's shoulder injury and Knox being ... Knox, it did not work out.

But overall, his offense too frequently has no flow, no rhythm, no identity.

23 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Something was off with Josh last night.  The game plan was not the usual game plan.

He sprained his shoulder in the 2nd (err, 3rd?) quarter. It's why the touchdown to Morris was such a close call (not the typical zip). It's why he sorta missed Knox (88 must catch that) to seal the game. Prayers up if he misses a week or 2.

And even if he does not miss time, 17 will lose accuracy and velocity for a few weeks.

Edited by That Aud Smell

57 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Diggs has made the offense about Diggs.  Diggs first, screw what the defense is giving me.  Always looking for Diggs, because if you don't, I am going to spot off like a spoiled rich kid, point fingers, smash tablets, and ridicule the whole organization on how they don't like to win.  Remember what happened to Baker when a big-name receiver pointed out to the world, and his dad, that I was open and he didn't throw me the ball!  Along came DeShaun.  This whole drama thing has tainted the offense.   I bet Diggs wasn't happy used as a decoy for Harty's touchdown.  

Bullshit You Lie GIF by Travis

Diggs is getting the ball so much because he is the only receiver who consistently gets open. The Bills offense isn't good because Knox is average, Gabe Davis should be a 3wr, and the Bills truly do not have a legit #2 wr anyone needs to consistently worry about. What you wrote here is total bullcrap and is typical Buffalo "blame the good players" mentality. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

McDermott is an excellent defensive coordinator and generally a good leader. 

the problem is that we clearly don’t have the right people in the building running the offense. A mind like Andy Reid would have had us in the SB by now. 

The bad news is we likely are not going anywhere this year. The good news is it’s an easily fixable problem if we get the right people. JA is a top 3 qb in his prime now. 

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

His issues always pop up.

1. Lack of creativity

2. Unnecessary difficulties added to plays (3rd&1 running out of shotgun)

3. Lack of adjustments in real time.

Dart has been our best run play the past few weeks and it is run out of shotgun, it's basically the reason we scored our first touchdown. We scored on an iteration of it against Miami too. The concepts were there to be had in the first half and every player on offense screwed them up at various points. Then they executed in the second half and were a slightly low throw/bad catch from Knox away from a perfect half. 

Dorsey isn't a Reid level genius but most criticism of him in Bills Mafia is, frankly, very bad 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

McDermott is an excellent defensive coordinator and generally a good leader. 

the problem is that we clearly don’t have the right people in the building running the offense. A mind like Andy Reid would have had us in the SB by now. 

The bad news is we likely are not going anywhere this year. The good news is it’s an easily fixable problem if we get the right people. JA is a top 3 qb in his prime now. 

Ken Dorsey is not the answer, but Brian Daboll might be available soon.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm right on the verge of being sick of this narrative -- that the All-22 film nerds have a Dorsey take that's very different from the good folks who sit near me in Section 307. When the Bills lined up in pistol at the goal line -- and then effing ran the ball (for an inevitable loss) -- we collectively lost our got dam minds. GET. UNDER. CENTER.

I will say this for Dorsey: He had his moments. He went "it's a copycat league" for that Harty TD. I've seen some version of that motion/stop motion/opposite way from the Chiefs, I think. Nice work on Dorsey's part. Also, he schemed up a very good game-ending throw to Knox -- between Josh's shoulder injury and Knox being ... Knox, it did not work out.

But overall, his offense too frequently has no flow, no rhythm, no identity.

He sprained his shoulder in the 2nd (err, 3rd?) quarter. It's why the touchdown to Morris was such a close call (not the typical zip). It's why he sorta missed Knox (88 must catch that) to seal the game. Prayers up if he misses a week or 2.

And even if he does not miss time, 17 will lose accuracy and velocity for a few weeks.

What tactical advantage does going under center give you that shotgun doesn't? We averaged like 7 ypc running dart and outside zone out of gun last night. It has been our best run concept and is in gun so dawkins can get across to his gap. Our shotgun plays were better last night.  Our play action plays sucked because the Giants watched tape and never bit. The wgr crowd is becoming insufferable with the narrative that under center magically fixes our problems that are being manifest in the shotgun. The giants' blitzes were terrorizing the under center/play action plays that these guys wanted so bad. Josh Allen is a shotgun quarterback and always will be, he sees the field so much better that way, and while you need to do both, the Bills scored on both their red zone trips and on a goal line play that they were in shotgun for. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Add Allen to the list of injured. He will likely play through it but he is hurting. 

Billichek will be looking at this film (digital video files) and Dorsey better have something new planned. 

The criticism of Diggs is wrong.   Diggs is not the problem.  We lack a legit #2 receiver.  We lack a true slot receiver.  Knox is average.  Kincaid is a hurt rookie.  The RBs are average as in the OL.  Allen and Diggs are who the opponent worries about. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This team looks miles away from being a real contender.  

They look 2 weeks away from playing the best football on the planet, because they were playing it just 2 weeks ago

This is footbaww baby. I bet the Eagles and 9ers would kill for our ugly win yesterday. 

Never forget what our offense looked like 3 months after the 2021 Jags game 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1