Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

To be fair to the fact that this a results oriented business, it’s fair to point out what went wrong. 

Josh felt pressure that wasn’t always home. Four turnovers is inexcusable.  It’s hard to explain.
Gabe was not noticeable.  
The Bills safeties taking turns bailing out and playing defense with ten guys didn’t go away with Frazier going away. And the Poyer/Hyde combo didn’t look fast to me. 
James Cook didn’t break a single tackle all night. 
The Bills put themselves into third and long too frequently.  No more runs up the middle on second and long please.   

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Well that was fun.  Gabe Davis has no idea how to get open.  Ken Dorsey stinks.  The offensive line is offensive and Josh is regressing.  

I said years ago they needed to fix that offensive line and they need a young stud linebacker who can lead. Plus can someone tell Allen to start sliding and stop taking unnecessary hits. My guess if Diggs gets injured this offense will be in huge trouble and I mean huge trouble.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Josh Allen started the day 17/21 and was driving before throwing that second pick. The Bills were completely on track to win this game, 23-13 or thereabouts. Dude is missing something upstairs. 

He’s not elite like everyone thinks he is. He’s a really good quarterback but if you take Diggs off the team I think you see a major drop off in his production. They still can’t stop the run on defense and their offensive line I don’t think it’s that great. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SabresBillsFan said:

He’s not elite like everyone thinks he is. He’s a really good quarterback but if you take Diggs off the team I think you see a major drop off in his production. They still can’t stop the run on defense and their offensive line I don’t think it’s that great. 

He just doesn't play quarterback. I've seen him do it, for a full season even (2020). He's not interested in it anymore. He plays madden

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Josh Allen started the day 17/21 and was driving before throwing that second pick. The Bills were completely on track to win this game, 23-13 or thereabouts. Dude is missing something upstairs. 

Allen has stopped progressing.   Very simple things are not sinking in.  He has not learned to slide or run out of bounds when the yards aren’t critical.  He still throws into double coverage danger. He still looks long when a short pass will work. He is bailing out of the pocket quickly at times but his throws on the run are not always there like before.  

Dating movie stars, doing commercials, golfing with celebs… it is time to go to work kid.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Allen has stopped progressing.   Very simple things are not sinking in.  He has not learned to slide or run out of bounds when the yards aren’t critical.  He still throws into double coverage danger. He still looks long when a short pass will work. He is bailing out of the pocket quickly at times but his throws on the run are not always there like before.  

Dating movie stars, doing commercials, golfing with celebs… it is time to go to work kid.  

He’s completely out of control and undisciplined. He’s also impulsive. He made some amazing plays doing it and now it’s showing. I think he peaked two years back. He will make amazing plays and then play completely undisciplined. It’s not changing. It’s his nature. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

He’s completely out of control and undisciplined. He’s also impulsive. He made some amazing plays doing it and now it’s showing. I think he peaked two years back. He will make amazing plays and then play completely undisciplined. It’s not changing. It’s his nature. 

And this is why this team won’t win a Super Bowl unless they get a great defense around him. They couldn’t stop the run years ago and instead of addressing their needs it still continues. I never really get hyped up about the Bills because they always find new and creative ways to blow games.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

And this is why this team won’t win a Super Bowl unless they get a great defense around him. They couldn’t stop the run years ago and instead of addressing their needs it still continues. I never really get hyped up about the Bills because they always find new and creative ways to blow games.

It all went off when Dorsey melted down in the box last year. Allen feeds off that. Daboll handled him. This team is going nowhere until we get a great Oc. Allen sulking in the presser is alarming sad well. Looked like Jack Eichel. Too emotional and impulsive. 

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

This is ridiculous. It was 13-13 into overtime. The problem was not the D. Josh was not good tonight, period.

EDIT: or 16-16

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

This is ridiculous. It was 13-13 into overtime. The problem was not the D. Josh was not good tonight, period.

There are enough holes that the defense will not be the same force it was the last few years (Poyer is taking the angles of a 25 year old and just can't handle it, Hyde is also slower, MLB is an issue) but Rousseau looks LEGIT, Floyd played well, the corners were pretty damn good (in the pass game). It is good enough to win with an elite offense. Something happened to Josh and they had a whole offseason to figure it out and it seems like they didn't. Of course, he's had 4 turnover games in that building before, Joe Burrow had 5 turnovers week 1 last year, yaddah yaddah. I think this is a good football team but there are reasons to worry

• Like (+1) 1

That was 100% offense. You don’t win games with a -3 turnover ratio.  Gabe is predictable and easy to cover. Cook is playing flag football with his low effort out there. Josh was rattled from pressure from the best defense out there. He still had easy throws he didn’t make though. And bad turnovers. 

Kincaid looked really promising though.  Defense was fine. 

Lost on the road against a very good defense, punt return TD, Josh threw three picks, Josh lost a fumble, Zach Wilson completed a (won't do it again ever in his career) almost sacked falling to the ground throw on TD Drive, great catch by G Wilson for TD, defense allowed 1 TD, and the Bills almost pulled it off.  I wonder how many times that will happen this year........

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I wouldn't trade him, but it's not that stupid.

Will Allen ever be a true pocket QB? He isn't yet.

If they're going to protect him and try to make him something he's not instead of running the 💩 out of him, we may find the window is already closed.

I think my issue with it is that with a better coach, Josh Allen is a very good QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe going from Daboll/Dorsey to Dorsey/Brady has had a very consequential, negative impact on Allen. He's regressed badly - looks like a rookie again. Its been written/said that with all the escalating QB contracts around the league JA's contract is a bargain. Sadly, I think he's started to play down to it.

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think my issue with it is that with a better coach, Josh Allen is a very good QB. 

Do you say this because you think a better coach would get a lot more designed run plays in for him... which in turn will open up his passing game? If so, I agree that Josh Allen, at least for a short time, can be one of the best QBs in the league.

If you think better coaching can turn him into a pure-passing franchise QB that plays well into his 30s... I haven't seen a lot of evidence to suggest he's got those tools (other than his rocket arm).

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Added note about running opening up his passing game.

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Yes it's only week 1 but the Bills biggest opponent is themselves. They failed to make adjustments. 

I feel like they did make adjustments against the run on defense. 

The defense played well and got a little better.  Quite simply, they (just barely) lost because the offense (Josh, in particular) had four turnovers, which got successively worse:

1) INT 1 - Jets would have likely had better field position if Whitehead had knocked that passed down forcing 4th down.  It was like a 3-and-out with a great punt.  Shouldn't have hurt much, but they gave up an 83-yard run on the first play.

2) INT 2 - Almost the same, but came on 2nd and 13 in (long) field goal range, and was a touchback, so it was like they had stalled, maybe with a sack, and had a poor punt.

3) INT 3 - 3rd and 2 from their own 41, poor pass into double coverage, gave the Jets good field position.

4) Fumble - 1st and 10 from their own 25 with the ability to run down the clock on a successful game-winning drive, Allen mishandles the snap and then does the risky thing instead of making the safe play.  Gives the Jets the ball with really short field and, at worst, a go-ahead field goal.

Josh took chances that he didn't need to, especially after Rogers went down. 

Even given that, they still had the ball in OT ...  then took a false start penalty, dropped a 14-yard pass, ran a 2-yard draw and then didn't covert a 13-yard reception (with a little bit of a hold.)