Casey Fitzgerald claimed by Florida off Waivers

Brawndo

I think it is possible to be mildly disappointed by this while also acknowledging that it is not likely a significant long-term setback. 

Short term I do think it hurts a little. Looking at things in a vacuum, I would have waived Hinostroza as I think we have multiple forward options in Rochester (Biro, Murray, Rousek…) who could be tried in a bottom 6 role and maybe even deserve an opportunity. Our D depth was not good and is now worse. Others are correct though in stating that similar players hit waivers a few times a year. Still, better in my view to have a guy you know. 

Also, it might surprise some to know that Matt Irwin has played 31 games for the Capitals this season. He has played 10 years in the NHL, 47 playoff games (maybe more in 2023), 10 years in the NHL without ever having a contract that paid him more than a million $ a year. Players of his talent level, and Fitzgerald’s, Clague’s, Fedun’s, Ruhwedel’s, etc., have been filling out the bottom depth of NHL playoff teams forever. As our top D and forwards are going to get paid soon, we should get used to seeing such players filling out some of our 5-9 D positions. 

Edited by Archie Lee

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres claim Jost: meh whatever, he got waived so he's not that good. 

Sabres waive Fitzgerald: omg! What about our defense depth!? How will we survive without our 9th best defender?

Fitz wasn't making this team better, time to move on. Sucks for the Amerks is all. 

This is the correct response. 

Is this like putting a couch out in the curb, then being mad someone took it?

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I think it is possible to be mildly disappointed by this while also acknowledging that it is not likely a significant long-term setback. 

Short term I do think it hurts a little. Looking at things in a vacuum, I would have waived Hinostroza as I think we have multiple forward options in Rochester (Biro, Murray, Rousek…) who could be tried in a bottom 6 role and maybe even deserve an opportunity. Our D depth was not good and is now worse. Others are correct though in stating that similar players hit waivers a few times a year. Still, better in my view to have a guy you know. 

Also, it might surprise some to know that Matt Irwin has played 31 games for the Capitals this season. He has played 10 years in the NHL, 47 playoff games (maybe more in 2023), 10 years in the NHL without ever having a contract that paid him more than a million $ a year. Players of his talent level, and Fitzgerald’s, Clague’s, Fedun’s, Ruhwedel’s, etc., have been filling out the bottom depth of NHL playoff teams forever. As our top D and forwards are going to get paid soon, we should get used to seeing such players filling out some of our 5-9 D positions. 

I knew we had something in common.

Escaping mention is the fact that the organization's 25th-best player is good enough to be worthy of a waiver claim.

Not sure that would have been true of our 20th-best last year.

Have we assembled more depth than we give the team credit for?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Escaping mention is the fact that the organization's 25th-best player is good enough to be worthy of a waiver claim.

...by the team that won the President's trophy last season!

Sabres stink might just be starting to morph into Sabres glow.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, dudacek said:

To be fair, I think Bjork made it through waivers in November, so we're on the cusp, lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 1/12/2023 at 7:25 AM, Archie Lee said:

I will say a large part of what determines the top contenders from the average playoff team. Take the Avalanche last year for example, they had Toews, Makar, Byram, Girard, Erik Johnson, and Josh Manson for their top 6. If we get a couple more bottom 4 defenders to replace our 6/7s we’d be in good shape.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.