GDT: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 1/9/23, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

I am sure they are going to be really pissed after that one...that is not the standard they set for themselves.  That type of game won't fly anymore.  Under Eichel they would pay some lip service, shrug their shoulders and go out and party at the clubs after a game like that.  With this team they will be really pissed with themselves, go home and stew about it all night and come back tomorrow to make up for it.  They are accountable to each other. Big difference.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Sabres have trouble with physical teams like Flyers and Ottawa... need some hitting and grinding drills..  and being nasty in front of the net... yeh didnt help they came out flat... based on this performance their third/fourth line cant be the only one that can play a grind game...  Cozens and young wingers tried but way to inexperienced on how to play that game against the flyer... Tage, Tuch and Skinner flat out no show.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I am sure they are going to be really pissed after that one...that is not the standard they set for themselves.  That type of game won't fly anymore.  Under Eichel they would pay some lip service, shrug their shoulders and go out and party at the clubs after a game like that.  With this team they will be really pissed with themselves, go home and stew about it all night and come back tomorrow to make up for it.  They are accountable to each other. Big difference.

Every team in the NHL has a stinker now and then. I think they play the Flyers two more times. I think those games will be interesting to say the least. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

And just like they they go from averaging 6 gpg in the B&R to 5 gpg.

Worst game of the year.  Can see a case for the Yote game, but that 1 they had a shell of their D corps available.  They were as healthy as they've been since the 1st western road trip.

Burn the tape & don't let it happen again.

At least there were only 4k who witnessed that in person.

Edited by Taro T
What a strange autocorrect

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres have trouble with physical teams like Flyers and Ottawa... need some hitting and grinding drills..  and being nasty in front of the net... yeh didnt help they came out flat... based on this performance their third/fourth line cant be the only one that can play a grind game...  Cozens and young wingers tried but way to inexperienced on how to play that game against the flyer... Tage, Tuch and Skinner flat out no show.

The Sabres have trouble with physical teams when they don't play their game. They need to out work their opponent and use their speed to overwhelm them in their own end. Sometimes they'll run into no puck luck and/or a hot goalie. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

The Sabres have trouble with physical teams when they don't play their game. They need to out work their opponent and use their speed to overwhelm them in their own end. Sometimes they'll run into no puck luck and/or a hot goalie. 

Agreed but they didn't work sometimes you have to grind a bit to get your legs going... they dont seem to get that.

10 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

Every team in the NHL has a stinker now and then. I think they play the Flyers two more times. I think those games will be interesting to say the least. 

Interesting how? There is really no one on this team that could “make it interesting” if you’re eluding to being  physical.  

• Like (+1) 3

Maybe they had a going-away party for UPL last night?

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

Interesting how? There is really no one on this team that could “make it interesting” if you’re eluding to being  physical.  

I don't think playing physical is the answer here. I think being smart is, especially with the game plan. We know certain teams are going to try and smother the Sabre's game, certainly the coaching staff can figure that out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ... said:

I don't think playing physical is the answer here. I think being smart is, especially with the game plan. We know certain teams are going to try and smother the Sabre's game, certainly the coaching staff can figure that out.

Then yeah, it will be interesting to see if they can adjust their game. Unfortunately they didn’t learn much from the Ottawa game. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ... said:

By physical I mean grinding in the corners, D backed off the line way too much... Filly is just not fast... way to many guys left unattended near the net... chasing the puck up high... Dont have to throw hard checks to be physical but you have to engage.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.