GDT: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 1/9/23, 7pm, MSG, WGR.

Eleven

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Basically, the team was emotionally spent after 3 high emotion games (plus, unsaid, the Hamlin emotion) and just didn't have it tonight.

Expects a better showing against the Krackers tomorrow night.

Our constant reliance on one line make it almost a certainty we have these let down games. 

I think we are a playoff team, that commitment to one line basically insures you get beat in 5 games. 

(I don't mean to imply we would go 7 games against Boston in the first roun)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seattle will likely drive the net as well. Goathead magic might just have died tonight. let's hope UPL is hot. 

Since no one else was waived I think this might be Comrie's start.

Edited by Doohickie

11 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Sabres have trouble with physical teams like Flyers and Ottawa... need some hitting and grinding drills..  and being nasty in front of the net... yeh didnt help they came out flat... based on this performance their third/fourth line cant be the only one that can play a grind game...  Cozens and young wingers tried but way to inexperienced on how to play that game against the flyer... Tage, Tuch and Skinner flat out no show.

The prime culprit this game was zero energy. Likely emotionally drained. That is a sign of a young team. 

But you are right about physical teams. I don’t think anything will change that until some of these guys get stronger and more physical. Cousins, Power, Krebs, Quinn, even Mittelstadt, all need to add weight in muscle and strength in the off season (+8, +10 lb range). Power is listed at 215. He should be at 225-230 in 2-3 years and a physically intimidating force to be reckoned with (only 19 of course). And he needs to skate better and have more power in his lower half as well.  Cousins is variously listed in the mid-high 180s. One listing has him in the low 190s. At 6’3 and the style of fame he plays he needs to be at least 205. If not 210. He’s only 21 still so a ways to go before his body matures. 

The Sabres need to spend some money off ice in terms of training staff and systems for these guys to develop faster and become not only better players in their skill sets, but stronger and more physical. 

The Flyers gave teams the blueprint for beating us. Granato has to see this need. 

• Agree 2

As i have been saying for awhile, a heavy physical forecheck is our Achilles heel. We are not strong and physical enough to return the favor and or win the battles. I think some of the kids may get stronger but the physical part of the game is not really there.

I also think it is time to bust up the kid line and spread some of that talent. Children cannot learn from children. Spread them out and let them learn.

25 is going to be good, but i hope he gets stronger and more physical as he had opportunities to lay some body last night and he backed off. 

Also one last thing.... Bush looks horrible. We need his nastiness and it has disappeared. That makes him useless in everything other then the 7 spot. We need a nasty dman to clear the net. He is definitely not in this organization.

6 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

The Montreal Canadiens in the 1976 Final was the first example that came to mind.

Very true that they won the cup in 1976.

I think our @grinreaper was referring to the 1975 final when the Sabres skill beat the Flyer goonery, except for the outstanding play of Bernie.  I do think that without Parent in the Flyer net the Sabres would have won that cup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Seriously, the last two games where the Sabres laid an egg was with Andy in goal.  Not sure if there's a cause-effect thing or not.

I agree. And I don’t know if there is a psychology of a team playing better (or worse) in front of specific goalies, but we have seen lackluster play for Anderson’s last 2 starts. We’re in a playoff race though, so I’m not interested in trying to tease out the reasons for Anderson losing. Easier just to shelf him and revisit later. 

15 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Bummer.

I agree with what @Taro T said immediately above.

Young teams are especially susceptible to emotional crashes.

I sent my grown kids who are home for the holidays to this game. I anguished over the game’s arc - thinking of them there, morose. Turns out, they had a roaring good time goading the oldest into chugging a beer, making up back stories for the people in their section, and snap facing their friends who were also at the game. I could stand to learn a thing or two from them.

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

In addition to Taro's theories for the letdown I have to wonder how many of the boyeeees were at the Bills game. Not suggesting that they overindulged in anything (beer, unhealthy food etc.), but if they sat in the elements that might have turned out to be no bueño even for young dudes.

Not this kid's theory.  It was paraphrasing Granato's words.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

So when their game isn’t working (like last night) you want them to continue to do what isn’t working? That is sort of what happened last night and look at the results.

When something isn’t working, you have to try something else. Some teams are starting to figure out how to stop the Sabres and last night Philly put on a very good clinic for other teams. 

I'm saying that if the Sabres play their game against a team that isn't as fast or skilled then they should win. They can't play half of their game and expect that to be good enough. 

I live in the western part of the country.  I set my DVR to record this game and was planning to watch it after watching my recording of the College Football National Championship game.  I got through the (terrible) football game and started watching the Sabres game around 11 PM.

For some reason, my DVR had an error and never recorded the game beyond the first 10 seconds of the broadcast.  I was pissed for about a minute, then looked up the score and realized that it did me a huge favor.  I got 2 more hours of much needed sleep.  Based on what I am seeing here, I would have been a whole lot more pissed if I had stayed up well past midnight to watch that sh(% game.  Will give it another go tonight with Seattle.  I'm guessing that last night's sleepwalk got their attention and DG will have them ready tonight.  Plus, Seattle has always given them fits, so I think they will be pumped up to play very well against this opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I didnt watch this game and don't care. No team plays 82 games at 100% and ever team from Boston to Anaheim has let down games, it is just bad teams do it more and are less able to overcome anything below 100%. Bounce back against Seattle and get moving again.

For me, I agree with this 100%.  If I had paid full price for tickets, plus parking, given up an entire night, etc. I might feel differently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.