GDT: Wild @ Sabres, 1/7/2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

For ten years we've watched this team get buried by momentum. How often did we watch them build a lead, or at least be playing well enough to be in a game only to totally fall apart when the pressure got ratcheted up? 

Now, you truly can't count them out of any game. They were phenomenal those last 4-5 minutes in regulation and relentless in overtime. That's a testimony to the culture and attitude that Meatballs has instilled in them. 

Granato has his flaws...I wish the team was way more physical...but he might just be the perfect coach for this team. If it wasn't for the insanity going on up in Boston, he should probably be the Adams frontrunner.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

These guys are good... Scary good!

There is some real talent emerging, no question. 

Goaltending, D depth and 3C seemed to be fatal weak spots but Jost has been adequate, Clague has been relatively solid, and UPL has been very good. With Cozens breaking out big time and others coming along this is perhaps the leap forward we'd hoped would come. 

• Like (+1) 1

Was at the game - with what’s happened this week decided I needed to make the trip from CT for this game and tomorrow’s. Came with my son - crazy atmosphere  - not sure if it was a sellout but sure looked like it. Sat near the Sabres bench and they were going nuts when the crowd started chanting MVP for TNT after his goal.

UPL was very good despite 5 goals

not sure why everyone is saying fleury was insane - Sabres got outshot by a lot - and the 5th goal he gave up to Dahlin was hideous 

Dahlin was insane

middlestadt was insane - perhaps he needs to play vs his home state team every game 

crowd was loud

ref tried to take game away from us in the 3rd

samuellson has a rare very bad game

we’re missing hardhitting dman but it is what it is. When Dahlin is your best checking dman, there’s an issue

amazing game now let’s go Bills - behind Buffalos bench for tomorrow’s game too

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

There is some real talent emerging, no question. 

Goaltending, D depth and 3C seemed to be fatal weak spots but Jost has been adequate, Clague has been relatively solid, and UPL has been very good. With Cozens breaking out big time and others coming along this is perhaps the leap forward we'd hoped would come. 

Yes Jost is a steal - one of the best players on the ice today. Claque is solid - was our 3rd best dman tonight 

• Like (+1) 4

I’d had to watch the condensed game as I went to a wedding tonight.  

Some quick thoughts

1) Dahlin offensive skills are off the chart. 
2) Power is looking like he is about to takeoff.  He seems more confident each shift.

3) Mitts has turned a corner since replacing Skinner on the top line during the suspension.  He looks more assertive and more confident.  He was completely locked in tonight. DG moving him to wing has allowed him to stop over thinking each play and just be natural out there. Jost has fit this team like a glove and has helped Mitts play looser.  With the kids going cold, we needed VO and Mitts to step up and they have.  Now if we can get all 3 top limes going.

4) Skinner has been awful since the suspension.  He seems to be in a funk. 
5) Our in zone D play needs work.  Mule seems off as well.  How many stupid penalties can one D take Mr Lyubushkin?

6) Not UPL’s best effort, but he made some terrific saves.  

Overall a very solid and exciting win. I agree with earlier posts that this is a team that no one wants to play.  Speed, high skill, scoring depth, youthful exuberance, and a playing for each other attitude is a recipe for success now and in the playoffs if they make it.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

I just friggin love watching this team

This team is so great to watch. Incredibly exciting. Love their youth and fight. 

Great team win. Still give up a lot on defense but Minnesota is a good team and even though we gave up 5 goals UPL made some huge saves. 

How about that crowd as well? Loved the building. 

Six games at home in the next few weeks. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d had to watch the condensed game as I went to a wedding tonight.  

Some quick thoughts

1) Dahlin offensive skills are off the chart. 
2) Power is looking like he is about to takeoff.  He seems more confident each shift.

3) Mitts has turned a corner since replacing Skinner on the top line during the suspension.  He looks more assertive and more confident.  He was completely locked in tonight. DG moving him to wing has allowed him to stop over thinking each play and just be natural out there. Jost has fit this team like a glove and has helped Mitts play looser.  With the kids going cold, we needed VO and Mitts to step up and they have.  Now if we can get all 3 top limes going.

4) Skinner has been awful since the suspension.  He seems to be in a funk. 
5) Our in zone D play needs work.  Mule seems off as well.  How many stupid penalties can one D take Mr Lyubushkin?

6) Not UPL’s best effort, but he made some terrific saves.  

Overall a very solid and exciting win. I agree with earlier posts that this is a team that no one wants to play.  Speed, high skill, scoring depth, youthful exuberance, and a playing for each other attitude is a recipe for success now and in the playoffs if they make it.  

Skinner has 4 goals and 3 assists in the seven games since his return from suspension. If a point a game is being in a funk, I would love to see him on a hot streak.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

He *is* a streaky scorer.

Always has been, except under RK. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Skinner has 4 goals and 3 assists in the seven games since his return from suspension. If a point a game is being in a funk, I would love to see him on a hot streak.

Always has been, except under RK. 

I agree the points are there, but when I watch him lately I’m seeing more forced passes into bad areas and being out of sink with Tuch and TnT.  Maybe he is just trying to do to much.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree the points are there, but when I watch him lately I’m seeing more forced passes into bad areas and being out of sink with Tuch and TnT.  Maybe he is just trying to do to much.  

That’s a fair point and I agree. That line has been so good that I think all three of them can be a little to dipsy-do with the fancy stuff trying to make the pretty play vs. the play that’s there. I’m not too concerned though. At the moment anyway.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the Sabres have (mostly) been playing better teams since then and are better able to break up plays.

15 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the Sabres have (mostly) been playing better teams since then and are better able to break up plays.

Much better positional play these days. Players finally seem to have a feel for where linemates are and are supposed to be. Continuity and the coaching paying off. Now the confidence grows. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Much better positional play these days. Players finally seem to have a feel for where linemates are and are supposed to be. Continuity and the coaching paying off. Now the confidence grows. 

I read my post and I think you misunderstood my point (and I can see why; I wasn't very clear).  What I meant to say is "I think the Sabres have (mostly) been playing better teams since then and those better teams the Sabres are playing are better able to break up plays."

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You did say you watched the condensed game. Skinner was Skinner tonight. 

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I read my post and I think you misunderstood my point (and I can see why; I wasn't very clear).  What I meant to say is "I think the Sabres have (mostly) been playing better teams since then and those better teams the Sabres are playing are better able to break up plays."

Yes, they are playing better positional play.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ... said:

You did say you watched the condensed game. Skinner was Skinner tonight. 

So he was lazy getting back on D, his passing was awful and he blew a couple golden scoring chances? 😉

I actually got to watch about 45 minutes of game time on the ESPN replay.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But I was told that Reaves is tough and helps you win hockey games. 

Confused Girl GIF

It didn't tonight, but that doesn't mean it never has or won't again.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's pretty good, right?

2 hours ago, Ctaeth said:

Sorry if he has a personal matter, but that fifth goal was trash. He should feel awful about Dahlin beating him on that shot.

Suck it, Flower.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.