Public Service Announcement: Ignore

Doohickie

One or two people have asked me about how to put someone on Ignore recently.  Ignore can be a useful utility.  If you find that a particular poster brings out the worst in you, the Ignore feature can help you get past their posts without engaging and showing your bad side.  If you want to Ignore someone, you can (on a desktop browser) hover the cursor over the poster's information, like thus:

image.thumb.png.9085b52322cac708c8f8305b4de3d6ea.png

And a menu pops up with options at the bottom.  At the bottom right is Ignore.  If you click on that, it brings up this screen:

image.thumb.png.7755d67ed2ac672656f21a3d6e945f30.png

Check the boxes of the content of theirs you want to Ignore, and click Update Preferences.

Another way to get there is to go to the down arrow next to your username in the upper right corner of the screen:

image.thumb.png.da1ba5fc4cbcbc8c91859adf4ffc156e.png

And go to Ignored Users.  If you go that way, though, you will need to begin to key in the name of the person you want to ignore until their username pops up.  Note that through this Ignored Users screen you can also unclick content you are ignoring from a user, in other words, take them off Ignore.  So it's not final. 

Personally I put people on ignore when I notice they trigger me.  Their posts still show up in the thread but they're masked over so you can't see them.  If you click on it it will give you the option to just view that post or to take them off ignore.  After putting them on ignore I will sometimes peek at their posts.  I prepare myself mentally for it.  Sometimes it's a confirmation of yeah, that's why they're on Ignore, and sometimes it is a valid point and I might answer.  If the valid points start to outweigh the stuff that pisses me off I will take the person off ignore.  But using the function helps me build up a tolerance for that person's.... personality.

The point of this forum, at least to me, is to have fun.  If it's not fun, the Ignore function can filter out the people that are stealing your fun.

Edited by Doohickie
Disclaimer: No steveoaths were Ignored in the creation of this thread.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

The problem with the ignore feature is and always has been ... if anyone quotes the members that you have on ignore both posts become visible and your blockage fails.

I have a remedy ... the entire board blocks the poster that inspired this thread.

Problem solved.

/thread

Or our fearless leaders can toss the trash out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Problem with the ignore feature is that if you use it, you are in fact soft

It's a feature that people can choose to use, there's not really a need to disparage those who choose to do so.

• dislike 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One or two people have asked me about how to put someone on Ignore recently.  Ignore can be a useful utility.  If you find that a particular poster brings out the worst in you, the Ignore feature can help you get past their posts without engaging and showing your bad side.  If you want to Ignore someone, you can (on a desktop browser) hover the cursor over the poster's information, like thus:

image.thumb.png.9085b52322cac708c8f8305b4de3d6ea.png

And a menu pops up with options at the bottom.  At the bottom right is Ignore.  If you click on that, it brings up this screen:

image.thumb.png.7755d67ed2ac672656f21a3d6e945f30.png

Check the boxes of the content of theirs you want to Ignore, and click Update Preferences.

Another way to get there is to go to the down arrow next to your username in the upper right corner of the screen:

image.thumb.png.da1ba5fc4cbcbc8c91859adf4ffc156e.png

And go to Ignored Users.  If you go that way, though, you will need to begin to key in the name of the person you want to ignore until their username pops up.  Note that through this Ignored Users screen you can also unclick content you are ignoring from a user, in other words, take them off Ignore.  So it's not final. 

Personally I put people on ignore when I notice they trigger me.  Their posts still show up in the thread but they're masked over so you can't see them.  If you click on it it will give you the option to just view that post or to take them off ignore.  After putting them on ignore I will sometimes peek at their posts.  I prepare myself mentally for it.  Sometimes it's a confirmation of yeah, that's why they're on Ignore, and sometimes it is a valid point and I might answer.  If the valid points start to outweigh the stuff that pisses me off I will take the person off ignore.  But using the function helps me build up a tolerance for that person's.... personality.

The point of this forum, at least to me, is to have fun.  If it's not fun, the Ignore function can filter out the people that are stealing your fun.

I have to say that I've never felt compelled to ignore another poster but I can see it being useful for some situations.  I try not to take things personally but some of the debates on here do seem to get that way.

That being said, I have worked with some real challenging personalities in the past and a couple of people now.  If you could generate a "in person live ignore button" that would be great.  Maybe have some nice music play while you pretend to listen to them.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I just checked this ignore feature thingy.  Surprisingly, I have no one on the list.  I thought I did but that must be at TBD.  

I almost added someone earlier this week but then decided just to let it go.  There have been a few posters here that I have disagreed with in the past that actually produce some very insightful comments and I learn a few things along the way.   I don't want to lose that.  Besides, this is a hockey site so my criteria for "ignore" must go beyond hockey opinions, and for the most part I stay away from non-hockey discussions.  

Now onto some real business.   I am still listed as a "first liner", which was great when it happened but now, I need more.   When do I get promoted to Coach, and then to Coach and GM?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The problem with the ignore feature is and always has been ... if anyone quotes the members that you have on ignore both posts become visible and your blockage fails.

The quote feature works so much better now though. You get that compressed view of the quote and have to expand to see the whole thing… or at least that’s how it is on a phone. Gone are the days where the quoted videos and pictures made it impossible to load a thread. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

Posting the personal posting “stat” you are most proud of might actually be kinda fun 

SS does keep a few interesting numbers 

I do wish that it showed you how many people are are ignoring you. I want to know how big a void I'm shouting into. It's sort of like a goal.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I just checked this ignore feature thingy.  Surprisingly, I have no one on the list.  I thought I did but that must be at TBD.  

I almost added someone earlier this week but then decided just to let it go.  There have been a few posters here that I have disagreed with in the past that actually produce some very insightful comments and I learn a few things along the way.   I don't want to lose that.  Besides, this is a hockey site so my criteria for "ignore" must go beyond hockey opinions, and for the most part I stay away from non-hockey discussions.  

Now onto some real business.   I am still listed as a "first liner", which was great when it happened but now, I need more.   When do I get promoted to Coach, and then to Coach and GM?  

At 10,000 posts you get a promotion to *All Star* and a lollipop.  At 20,000 posts you enter the SabreSpace *Hall of Fame* and get a lollipop.

Sorry, no Coach for you !!  And no Coach and GM for you !!

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

At 10,000 posts you get a promotion to *All Star* and a lollipop.  At 20,000 posts you enter the SabreSpace *Hall of Fame* and get a lollipop.

Sorry, no Coach for you !!  And no Coach and GM for you !!

YOU got a lollipop?

Sheesh, all this kid got was a box making strange whirring noises w/ a return address from Coudersport.  Figured it was from PA and was afraid to open it.  Gave it to a Bruins "friend" and he hasn't been seen nor heard from since.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

YOU got a lollipop?

Sheesh, all this kid got was a box making strange whirring noises w/ a return address from Coudersport.  Figured it was from PA and was afraid to open it.  Gave it to a Bruins "friend" and he hasn't been seen nor heard from since.  😉

Sounds like a win to me

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.