Public Service Announcement: Ignore

Doohickie

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

I do wish that it showed you how many people are are ignoring you. I want to know how big a void I'm shouting into. It's sort of like a goal.

I had you on Ignore for a short while but then I realized you weren't nearly as obnoxious as your first impression led me to believe.

• Haha (+1) 2

I’ve got a couple on ignore permanently. A couple I’m thinking about adding. And no one I’ve had on and taken back off.

I’m sure I’m in a few ignore lists. Thank god. I hope I make a few ignore lists soon. I hope. So they stop seeing what I say and whine about it 😂

I have to chase down my stats. I’m sure they suck.

Oh I think I found some stuff …

E9408B0A-20C5-4E48-80B8-8F5F7EB5F739.jpeg

Edited by Zamboni

17 hours ago, shrader said:

Looking back on the ignore list is a fun time. There was a guy years ago who managed to make it onto my list 3 separate times before getting banned each time. Idiot would always use his actual face as his avatar, so it was blatantly obvious that it was the same person. 

I think I know that guy.  He's long gone, right?

On 12/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Doohickie said:

One or two people have asked me about how to put someone on Ignore recently.  Ignore can be a useful utility.  If you find that a particular poster brings out the worst in you, the Ignore feature can help you get past their posts without engaging and showing your bad side.  If you want to Ignore someone, you can (on a desktop browser) hover the cursor over the poster's information, like thus:

image.thumb.png.9085b52322cac708c8f8305b4de3d6ea.png

And a menu pops up with options at the bottom.  At the bottom right is Ignore.  If you click on that, it brings up this screen:

image.thumb.png.7755d67ed2ac672656f21a3d6e945f30.png

Check the boxes of the content of theirs you want to Ignore, and click Update Preferences.

Another way to get there is to go to the down arrow next to your username in the upper right corner of the screen:

image.thumb.png.da1ba5fc4cbcbc8c91859adf4ffc156e.png

And go to Ignored Users.  If you go that way, though, you will need to begin to key in the name of the person you want to ignore until their username pops up.  Note that through this Ignored Users screen you can also unclick content you are ignoring from a user, in other words, take them off Ignore.  So it's not final. 

Personally I put people on ignore when I notice they trigger me.  Their posts still show up in the thread but they're masked over so you can't see them.  If you click on it it will give you the option to just view that post or to take them off ignore.  After putting them on ignore I will sometimes peek at their posts.  I prepare myself mentally for it.  Sometimes it's a confirmation of yeah, that's why they're on Ignore, and sometimes it is a valid point and I might answer.  If the valid points start to outweigh the stuff that pisses me off I will take the person off ignore.  But using the function helps me build up a tolerance for that person's.... personality.

The point of this forum, at least to me, is to have fun.  If it's not fun, the Ignore function can filter out the people that are stealing your fun.

I ignore you. Well with this exception. 

None of this Doohickie nonsense..... 

engineering gears GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is it possible to “ignore” a thread?   For instance the “does this team lack desperation?” Thread 

Yeah, I do it all the time.  I just don't read it.  Sometimes there are threads that are started by people whom I consider to be good friends, but I'm not interested in the topic, so I just don't click on it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/9/2022 at 4:27 PM, Thorny said:

Problem with the ignore feature is that if you use it, you are in fact soft

It's a sign of the times?

The fan base is a reflection of the team?

There is no soft, only defeated, the Sabres will break you?

The list is endless?

Ok, you can hit the ignore button me now.........

@Sabres Fan in NS could you quote my posts?, for the soft 😀

On 12/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The problem with the ignore feature is and always has been ... if anyone quotes the members that you have on ignore both posts become visible and your blockage fails.

I was thinking about this:  The benefit, though, is that even if you see a post after someone else has responded to the troll, at least it wasn't you getting dragged in.  Someone else took the hit.

• Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I was thinking about this:  The benefit, though, is that even if you see a post after someone else has responded to the troll, at least it wasn't you getting dragged in.  Someone else took the hit.

Yep, and it's hard enough to reply to the OP (other than going back and finding the original blocked post) that you're not tempted to engage.

I have one user on block; and they have posted in this thread. They might be the only person I have ever blocked, back in the day I wasn't as even-tempered as I am now. Even FIRE LINDY RUFF NOW.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Yep, and it's hard enough to reply to the OP (other than going back and finding the original blocked post) that you're not tempted to engage.

I have one user on block; and they have posted in this thread. They might be the only person I have ever blocked, back in the day I wasn't as even-tempered as I am now. Even FIRE LINDY RUFF NOW.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95205da020c99f21902a0

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

enjoy yourself austin powers GIF

🤪

Edited by Spoonman
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.