GDT: Canadiens @ Sabres, 7pm 10/27/22, msg wgr

LGR4GM

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don Granato on WGR talked about sitting players down because he doesn't want any player to sit for an extended period of time. He stressed that this is not a punishment due to poor play or sending a message to anyone in particular. It's simply rotating players in and out because currently there is a surplus of players. I wouldn't read too much into who is watching the game from the box. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The coach feels that it is important that the youngsters (Krebs, Quinn and JJ) don't sit for consecutive games. Casey certainly blundered on that particular play, but for the most part his effort and contribution has been positive. As for the play of Vinny it has also been more than satisfactory. He gives you a veteran presence on a team laden with youngsters. (It should be noted that Vinny has done some time upstairs.) Even before the season started the HC was upfront on how he was going to handle the excess in forwards: He was going to rotate players. And that's exactly what he is doing. You are simply exaggerating the meaning and impact of a one game sit-down. And it should be known that I am a fan of Asplund. His assignment in the company box for this game will not hurt him or the team. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The coach is exactly doing what he said he is going to do as far as rotating players. The issue for him is not having young players out for an extended period of time. And that's exactly what he is doing. As I stated to @webster guyAsplund is one of my favorite players. This one game sit-down will not hurt him or the team. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For the coach and the organization there is a big-picture aspect to this rotation related to player development. He had made a decision before the season started on how he was going to handle the young players. He's determined to not having players such as Quinn, JJ and Krebs sit out a number of consecutive games. And that's exactly what he is doing. 

Sweet, granato’s intention to cycle players in has been established 

why Asplund 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Good poster but this thing you occasionally do of simply regurgitating what the coach said, as an argument, is a pointless run around. The point here is that me, and I assume Tom, are disagreeing with the coaches evaluation that Asplund, one of our better players, should be removed. 

You’ve simply re-stated a few times Granato’s intention to cycle guys: we know this already. 

I’d be interested to hear JOHN’s argument for why Asplund should be out of the lineup, SPECIFICALLY, rather than another player. one of many he’s performing better than 

I'm re-stating the coach's position because I understand what his approach is to this roster and player development. I have no problem with it. From a broader roster development standpoint it makes sense to me. I'm as much of an Asplund supporter as anyone else here. I just don't see him sitting in one game in order for another young player to get playing time as a significant detriment for this one game. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Sitting Asplund down for one game in order to allow another young player ice time is not going to hurt the team's ability to win this game. The coach is expressly doing what he said he was going to do. Relax. 

Is there a player we could remove, for one game, that would affect our chances of winning?

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Good poster but this thing you occasionally do of simply regurgitating what the coach said, as an argument, is a pointless run around. The point here is that me, and I assume Tom, are disagreeing with the coaches evaluation that Asplund, one of our better players, should be removed. 

You’ve simply re-stated a few times Granato’s intention to cycle guys: we know this already. 

I’d be interested to hear JOHN’s argument for why Asplund should be out of the lineup, SPECIFICALLY, rather than another player. one of many he’s performing better than 

I’m an Asplund fan as well, but having a more defensive forward sit during a home game when you control last change makes much more sense than sitting him on thr road.  KA wants to get PT for JJP, Krebs, and Quinn to help their development, but this will come at the cost of at least one vet as long as Vinnie remains in the lineup.  Tonight Asplund draws the short straw against an offensively challenged team.  It’s a calculated risk, but a necessary one to keep Krebs and or Quinn for sitting to long. At some point Sheahan is also going get some PT and then 2 people will sit if everyone is healthy. Honestly I think KO would benefit from getting a night off from time to time. 

One other thought, I want Krebs in and on the PP2, we need his passing skills there.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m an Asplund fan as well, but having a more defensive forward sit during a home game when you control last change makes much more sense than sitting him on thr road.  KA wants to get PT for JJP, Krebs, and Quinn to help their development, but this will come at the cost of at least one vet as long as Vinnie remains in the lineup.  Tonight Asplund draws the short straw against an offensively challenged team.  It’s a calculated risk, but a necessary one to keep Krebs and or Quinn for sitting to long. At some point Sheahan is also going get some PT and then 2 people will sit if everyone is healthy. Honestly I think KO would benefit from getting a night off from time to time. 

One other thought, I want Krebs in and on the PP2, we need his passing skills there.

Good post. Leaning towards a more defensive F in this case does have logic 

Still don’t agree that he’s sclose to the guy deserving to be pulled in that situation (KO, Girgs) but your point helps bridge the gap over a few 

To me taking Asplund out represents a non-negligible obstacle towards winning 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Absolutely! Dahlin, Tuch, for this game Power with injuries in the unit etc. etc. 

Ah ok so you just don’t believe Asplund to be a player who reaches that line of impact. I do believe he does and therein lies the disagreement. 

I do think him being in the lineup increases our chances of winning 

Asplund out so a young guy doesn't sit too long is dumb. 

One more thing that makes me feel they don't actually want to win this year. 

If not Quinn sitting, then based on play it should have been Okposo or Skinner sitting. Not Asplund. 

Big game to see if they have character and bounce back. I know virtually nothing about what montreal has this year and don't really care. Just beat them!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Don’t agree with this at all.  Mittlestadt practically begged for the press box with his lazy line change.  I love Meatballs but this feels odd to me.  Asplund has done little wrong and has ridiculous analytics.  Krebs and Quinn in the lineup are two giant holes.  I hope they produce because this could be a recipe for disaster. 

The decision or the analysis?

Don't like the decision either.

Expect though that Okposo, Girgensons, Thompson, Tuch, & Skinner are all exempt from being in the "odd man out" derby.  Also, it is likely a given that Cozens and Mittelstadt are also on that list.  Later in the year, could see the 2 captains getting an odd game off as a "veteran rest day."

And agree w/ @GASabresIUFAN's logic for why a defensive F was chosen to sit at home rather than on the road.  But absolutely can't see doing it this early in the season w/ 2 - 20+ minute D-men out.

IF Asplund got a tweak in the Krackers game, then it becomes a bit more palatable but still not sold on adding him to the derby.  And it'll be interesting to see if he sits 2 in a row like everybody else that's sat has done.  He shouldn't if he's healthy.

Edited by Taro T

I’m not saying this is the case here with Asplund, but as the season drags on, all the guys will have dumps and bruises that could benefit from a day off here and there.  We’ll be happy for the depth when that occurs.  

I also don’t agree with anyone being exempt from sitting even if they were a letter.  We aren’t a good enough team to be playing guys who aren’t pulling their weight.  If you aren’t contributing, who should sit. The player I’d sit right now is KO.  He hasn’t contributed at either end of the ice as much as Asplund.  If Cozens or Mitts or VO aren’t playing the right way and others are, they should sit to.  This is admittedly a little naive but it’s how I feel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

You are benching a Selke candidate for a kid who has showed nothing 5 on 5 and leaving in two guys, Casey and Vinny, whose lazy play led to one goal against and one goal taken off the board. Tage, Tuch, Dylan and Asplund should not be part of any random rotation.

Selke candidate?   He got 11 votes, 056%, so he has a long way to go to be a real candidate but I think he was the only Sabre to get a vote for any trophy   

Quinn and Krebs need to play to get better.  He is rotating the bottom rated players. (His bottom rated) 

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Expect though that Okposo, Girgensons, Thompson, Tuch, & Skinner are all exempt from being in the "odd man out" derby. 

Why? Why should anyone be exempt from anything? That's not how you build a winning culture. 

Sitting Mitts would have been a solid decision and we'd all have applauded it. It's what teams like the Bruins would have done. But okay, so you don't want to sit him because he's.............too valuable?...........too fragile?................whatever Granato's reason move on to who sits if you want Krebs in. 

Asplund? The guy who has played solid hockey all season and earned his spot? Earned an upgrade from the 4th line to the 2nd. Arguably made Mitts and VO instantly look better? What does that tell him? Oh we don't really think you're an important part of this team.

It's dumb. It's dumb. It's just plain dumb. It's Sabres. 

Quinn and Krebs should be rotating in to the 4th line until one of them shows signs of being something. That's it. Either that, or sit slackers.  I just don't get this at all. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Always been leery of that first game back at home after an extended road trip. Can anyone tell me why that is?

This is correct.  Statistically, the first game back after a long road trip is more likely to be a stinker.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sitting Asplund down for one game in order to allow another young player ice time is not going to hurt the team's ability to win this game. The coach is expressly doing what he said he was going to do. Relax. 

If you believe (most do) that Asplund is better than the guy stepping into his spot, then yes, it does in fact lower the teams chances of winning.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.