Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some people questioned (or scoffed) at my comment that Seattle didn't play their A game against us. If you saw the Bruins Kraken game tonight, THAT was their A game. 

And Tolvanen has played quite well since he was inserted into the lineup. I really wish we would have claimed him. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some people questioned (or scoffed) at my comment that Seattle didn't play their A game against us. If you saw the Bruins Kraken game tonight, THAT was their A game. 

I don't see how Seattle is doing it.  When I look at their roster, I just don't see a top team:

-Burakovsky is a career 10-20 goal scorer

-Beniers is a great young player, but on 'pace' for 30 goals, not like 50 or 60

-Eberle is getting older and like Burakovsky, for the better part of the last decade he is a 'in the teens' goal scorer

-Gourde?  see above

-Sprong is a journeyman former 2nd round pick who is about a 35 point per year guy

-On D-Larsson is a guy that no-one wanted the last couple years

-Dunn was a 2nd or 3rd pair guy for St. Louis

-Olesiak and Shultz...2 more journeyman that were also not much more than average 2nd or 3rd pair guys

Their goaltending is middle-of-the-pack at best. The team Save percentage is about the same as the Sabres this year.

Maybe its a case of giving guys a chance they havne't had anywhere else. I just don't see a lot of top talent on this team and their play keeps on surprising me.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't see how Seattle is doing it.  When I look at their roster, I just don't see a top team:

-Eberle is getting older and like Burakovsky, for the better part of the last decade he is a 'in the teens' goal scorer

-Gourde?  see above

-Sprong is a journeyman former 2nd round pick who is about a 35 point per year guy

-Olesiak and Shultz...2 more journeyman that were also not much more than average 2nd or 3rd pair guys

Their goaltending is middle-of-the-pack at best. The team Save percentage is about the same as the Sabres this year.

Maybe its a case of giving guys a chance they havne't had anywhere else. I just don't see a lot of top talent on this team and their play keeps on surprising me.

They have really good drugs in the pacific NW

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

And Tolvanen has played quite well since he was inserted into the lineup. I really wish we would have claimed him. 

He would definitely fit in with the Sabres style but I suppose the argument for not picking him up was he's like a lot of guys we already have. Strong skating, goal scoring potential, but rather suspect defensively. 

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

-Gourde?  see above

Build the culture first. The team has dogged determination and a very strong work ethic. They don't quit and they play as a team. In the Boston game they were fast but also very disciplined and positionally sound. Solid structured play. 

Secondly a more mixed and balanced approach. They might not be the best at any one thing but they have a little of everything and can adapt to different styles with scoring spread out and on any given night facing a different type of team a different line will lead them. 

So to compare with the Sabres, they signed veterans to fill the holes they had. They chose the right FA goalie to fill that hole. maybe lucky, but they got the right guy at the moment. Their D doesn't have the puck movers we have but they are big and solid and play better D - especially in front of their own net. They don't have a kid line, they placed their rookie phenom between veterans to maximize his success. 

You can argue the Sabres are much better in terms of offensive talent. Younger and better. But the Sabres also have glaring weaknesses that can be exploited. Seattle doesn't have those. It's harder to figure out how to attack them. 

Long term which team will be better is hard to say. Depends on who is drafting better. But they have staggered their veteran contracts to come off the books a few at a time, which is the way I would have done the Sabres rather than this cap floor dead contract nonsense (holding room for the future). They are more win now than win later. We are the reverse.

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Build the culture first. The team has dogged determination and a very strong work ethic. They don't quit and they play as a team. In the Boston game they were fast but also very disciplined and positionally sound. Solid structured play. 

Secondly a more mixed and balanced approach. They might not be the best at any one thing but they have a little of everything and can adapt to different styles with scoring spread out and on any given night facing a different type of team a different line will lead them. 

So to compare with the Sabres, they signed veterans to fill the holes they had. They chose the right FA goalie to fill that hole. maybe lucky, but they got the right guy at the moment. Their D doesn't have the puck movers we have but they are big and solid and play better D - especially in front of their own net. They don't have a kid line, they placed their rookie phenom between veterans to maximize his success. 

You can argue the Sabres are much better in terms of offensive talent. Younger and better. But the Sabres also have glaring weaknesses that can be exploited. Seattle doesn't have those. It's harder to figure out how to attack them. 

Long term which team will be better is hard to say. Depends on who is drafting better. But they have staggered their veteran contracts to come off the books a few at a time, which is the way I would have done the Sabres rather than this cap floor dead contract nonsense (holding room for the future). They are more win now than win later. We are the reverse.

Disagree. 

I think it’s kinda funny when Eli Tolvanen (10 points this year, 57 in his career) is someone to covet and Casey Mittelstadt (24 points this year, 104 in his career) is a bust.

They were drafted in the same year.

Other than Beniers, Seattle does not have single player on their entire roster under 23.

Tolvanen (23), Geekie (24), and Fleury (25) are the only ones under 26.

They have an enviable amount of veteran depth on their roster, but they lack first-line talent, and I have never seen a team without first-line talent challenge for the Cup.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The culture part was nigh instantaneous due to the circumstances. Akin to Vegas; when you bring together a myriad of players who were deemed expendable and are typically 2nd/3rd line guys; your team will adopt a feisty and dogged image as a result. All expansion teams have this “us against the world” mentality only Vegas and Seattle were actually given legitimate leftovers whereas in the past they received only literal scraps.

You also get a degree of what we have got with Jost this year. A player whom feels either betrayed or fearful for their career and with their back against the wall will tend to play with an extra level of tenacity. Vegas’s Karlsson is a good example of this. He exploded out of nowhere his first couple years before returning to a far lesser state more akin to what he truly is. 

Lastly, Seattle got extremely lucky in net with Jones this thus far. Both of their big goalie gets last year were atrocious and only this year have given even a semblance of stability. Jones was God awful his past 4 years and seemingly found himself again this year; but there’s no guarantee he’ll keep it up through the year and into the future.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s kinda funny when Eli Tolvanen (10 points this year, 57 in his career) is someone to covet and Casey Mittelstadt (24 points this year, 104 in his career) is a bust.

They were drafted in the same year.

You're confused. I like Mitts and have never called him a bust or expressed a desire to get rid of him. 

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The culture part was nigh instantaneous due to the circumstances. Akin to Vegas; when you bring together a myriad of players who were deemed expendable and are typically 2nd/3rd line guys; your team will adopt a feisty and dogged image as a result. All expansion teams have this “us against the world” mentality only Vegas and Seattle were actually given legitimate leftovers whereas in the past they received only literal scraps.

You also get a degree of what we have got with Jost this year. A player whom feels either betrayed or fearful for their career and with their back against the wall will tend to play with an extra level of tenacity. Vegas’s Karlsson is a good example of this. He exploded out of nowhere his first couple years before returning to a far lesser state more akin to what he truly is. 

Lastly, Seattle got extremely lucky in net with Jones this thus far. Both of their big goalie gets last year were atrocious and only this year have given even a semblance of stability. Jones was God awful his past 4 years and seemingly found himself again this year; but there’s no guarantee he’ll keep it up through the year and into the future.

Well they got "unlucky" with Grubauer and really unlucky with Dreidger so maybe they were due some luck with Jones. Point is they have focused on goaltending and tried hard to make it an essential part of the plan rather than an after thought or plan for the future. 

The chip on the shoulder idea has some merit to it (and you'd think the Sabres would have that too for different reasons wouldn't you?) but they have added veteran winners. Cup winners. Leaders. The team has far more attitude and resolve than the Sabres do. It's the type of player they have focused on. 

I said 2 years ago I was going to pay attention to Seattle and compare the building process with the new Sabres plan. It's actually very interesting to look at the differences. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.