Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How the heck does McDavid have *83 points*. Next closest non cake-job player (Leon) has 21 points less - that’s Kucherov. That’s absurd. He’s got about 50% more points than Tage Thompson who’s having an MVP quality year. 

In reality, McDavid should get the MVP every year. There isn’t an argument he’s not the best player and the most valuable 

Toronto media got Matthews the Hart last year, McDavid had better numbers, other than goals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hoping for $10, but he can't sign until this off-season.  Could easily see it being $12 by the time they can actually sign him.

It'll be 12.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hoping for $10, but he can't sign until this off-season.  Could easily see it being $12 by the time they can actually sign him.

It'll be 12.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It'll be 12.

Barring him winning the Norris I don’t see it. 

Karlsson is the lone 12.5 mil man on D and no one else even approaches that within 2 mil. 

Dahlin’s side may want Karlsson money but Fox’s AAV will pull him down a bit. He’s 7x9.5

Edited by thewookie1

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Karlsson is the lone 12.5 mil man on D and no one else even approaches that within 2 mil. 

Dahlin’s side may want Karlsson money but Fox’s AAV will pull him down a bit. He’s 7x9.5

Dahlin is better, and more importantly his deal will be signed 2 years after Fox, and timing is key for contracts. Dahlin will get to 10. 

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If they want to screw around and bridge him, sure.

If they want to sign him long term, and they should, it's gonna cost them.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Stads said:

It's behind a pay wall, but there is a story in the Buffalo News titled, "Why the Sabres are willing to trade Vinnie Hinostroza". Did anyone get a chance to read it?

Paraphrasing…He is a good soldier who re-signed here, is not happy being a healthy scratch more often than not, and if they can get a pick for him, he will be moved. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If they want to screw around and bridge him, sure.

If they want to sign him long term, and they should, it's gonna cost them.

I think 8 years will cost under 11mil unless he gets the Norris

8x10.75 would be a very fair offer. That's a tad over 12.5% of an 85mil cap ceiling.

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Paraphrasing…He is a good soldier who re-signed here, is not happy being a healthy scratch more often than not, and if they can get a pick for him, he will be moved. 

We’ve had some injuries on the back end but we’ve been really very healthy up front - it was rather unpredictable that Hinostroza would play this little. Usually you get to your depth options much quicker 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I think 8 years will cost under 11mil unless he gets the Norris

8x10.75 would be a very fair offer. That's a tad over 12.5% of an 85mil cap ceiling.

Next year is almost definitely the last year before the cap jumps another $4-5MM.  Dahlin's deal won't kick in until the cap has jumped.  Would really like to see him at $10MM per for 8 years, but expecting $12MM per is far more likely. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

We’ve had some injuries on the back end but we’ve been really very healthy up front - it was rather unpredictable that Hinostroza would play this little. Usually you get to your depth options much quicker 

It IS unexpected to have almost 0 F injuries this year (Girgensons is usually good for missing at least 10 games if not 30-40 all by himself) but not completely implausible.  Young guys are far more resilient than guys in their 30's and this team is crazy young once Anderson is discounted & the team significantly changed their practices to focus on minimizing injuries & also the duration of them.

Really do hope they move on from Hinostroza sooner than later.

I wish more players would stand up for their own point of view like Provorov and diss honoring groups before games with special jerseys. Seems like LGBTQ are the only ones who ever get honored with special jerseys before games. Why don't other minorities get equal time? There are Indians, Blacks, Japanese, Ukrainians, Chinese, Africans, Hispanics, Christians, Muslims, Jews...How about the homeless, stray animals, or even space aliens? Why are only LGBTQ and maybe the military getting all the attention?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ivan-provorov-refuses-to-wear-pride-night-themed-warmup-jersey-philadelphia-flyers-1.1907557

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I wish more players would stand up for their own point of view like Provorov and diss honoring groups before games with special jerseys. Seems like LGBTQ are the only ones who ever get honored with special jerseys before games. Why don't other minorities get equal time? There are Indians, Blacks, Japanese, Ukrainians, Chinese, Africans, Hispanics, Christians, Muslims, Jews...How about the homeless, stray animals, or even space aliens? Why are only LGBTQ and maybe the military getting all the attention?

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ivan-provorov-refuses-to-wear-pride-night-themed-warmup-jersey-philadelphia-flyers-1.1907557

Good grief. 🤦‍♂️

• Agree 3

I'm all for the jerseys for whatever group. 

I'm also all for allowing people to have their own opinions and beliefs/values. 

Many very religious people still don't accept the LGBTQ&*=$ community or whatever it's called now, and they have a right to that. Makes it tough when you're in a position of power or sway in the media (as any athlete) but I think not participating in warm-ups is fair, he didn't openly bash that group and just did what was best for his own values. 

It's hard to please everyone in 2023 😂😂

14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Many very religious people still don't accept the LGBTQ&*=$ community or whatever it's called now, and they have a right to that. Makes it tough when you're in a position of power or sway in the media (as any athlete) but I think not participating in warm-ups is fair, he didn't openly bash that group and just did what was best for his own values. 

All the league and team mean when they support pride nights is to send the message that everyone is welcome in hockey. I don't think his religion actually says he should be opposed to gay people in the arena. 

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

All the league and team mean when they support pride nights is to send the message that everyone is welcome in hockey. I don't think his religion actually says he should be opposed to gay people in the arena. 

Religions say a lot of weird things. Lol 

I think I'm more opposed to organized religions more so than any of the other social stuff these days. But people will follow their chosen books down to their interpreted depths. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Quint said:

It's fair to ask why others don't get time, but it doesn't mean those that do are not worthy of the time given.  It's not MAYBE the military, every year there is a military pre-game warmup. It's not MAYBE cancer patients, every year this happens. It's becoming not MAYBE indigenous people but pretty much every year teams have nights that honor them.

Of the groups you named, how many of them would you like to see get special jerseys?  Do you really want space aliens and stray animals to get them?  Is it good enough that many teams now have team dogs that highlight adoption, shelters, service animal programs?

26 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's fair to ask why others don't get time, but it doesn't mean those that do are not worthy of the time given.  It's not MAYBE the military, every year there is a military pre-game warmup. It's not MAYBE cancer patients, every year this happens. It's becoming not MAYBE indigenous people but pretty much every year teams have nights that honor them.

Of the groups you named, how many of them would you like to see get special jerseys?  Do you really want space aliens and stray animals to get them?  Is it good enough that many teams now have team dogs that highlight adoption, shelters, service animal programs?

Other groups do get time: 

Sabres special nights:

Hockey Fights Cancer

Native American Heritage Night

Youth Hockey Day

Choose Love Night

St. Patrick's Day

Military Appreciation Night

Pride Night

Kids Appreciation Day

Fan Appreciation Night

Except for Youth Hockey, Kids, & Fan Appreciation believe they all have custom warmup sweaters.

(Didn't include others like Tooth's B-Day, 90's Night, Miller Banner Night, etc.)

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think it says a lot about society that he’s the only one who didn’t wear the Jersey. Is he the only guy in the league that doesn’t wear it? People getting so upset one guy didn’t wear the jersey and can’t step back and see the progress. 

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Forced speech is not free speech.  If I'm going to support Colin Kaepernick sitting the anthem out, I have to support Provorov sitting out warmups.  Doesn't matter that I'm a BLM and LGBT supporter.  Forced speech is not free speech.

Yes, thank you for saying that. He is free to express himself, and we are also free to express our reactions to it.
And I hope the loud and clear takeaway in conversations like this is that hockey is welcoming of everyone. 

I know this doesn’t speak for every Russian Orthodox believer, but my best friend growing up is still Russian Orthodox…his parents are off the boat from Russia. They took me to one of my first Amerks games when I was little. 
They aren't homophobic.
Based on my experience, it isn’t the religion that’s automatically the problem. 
The individual in question is just a close-minded clown (obviously without the rainbow wig cuz you know, that could give someone the wrong idea).  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.